To reenlist or not to reenlist.... - Page 2

To reenlist or not to reenlist....

This is a discussion on To reenlist or not to reenlist.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, thank you for your service and sacrifice. You represent the finest military in the world, and you should be proud of that. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

First of all, thank you for your service and sacrifice. You represent the finest military in the world, and you should be proud of that. A career in the military isn't for everyone, and only you know if it's for you.

One more enlistment will not put you over the edge, and you can always get out at the end of the next tour, with that much more experience to take into the job market. Another tour will take you into the next administration as well, so things might improve (or we can hope).

Back in the late 90's I had the pleasure of training a bunch of former Navy SEAL's that were getting out of the Navy at the 10 year mark. Their thinking was get out now, and if it doesn't work out, they could always go back to the teams. To my knowledge, none of them went back, but they may have after 9-11.

My father is a retired U.S. Air Force NCO, my older brother joined the U.S. Army and got out when he could, I joined the U.S. Navy and got out when I could, and my younger brother joined the U.S. Coast Guard as an E-1, and retired as a Lt. Commander. Everybody's different.

Best of luck with your decision & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Unless you have a rare skill that is in big demand on the outside, I'd say stay in...as a school administrator, I've seen quit a few young guys/gals jump out of what was a fairly nice career to find very limited employment on the outside. Some ended up running with the 'old crew', only to get in trouble.

Take advantage of the military paying for a degree while you are still in the service so that you can have a skill that is needed on the outside.
    Now this is only my opinion, but it's based upon what I've seen happen in the last 10 years.

Only you can make the final decision.

By the way, thanks for your service.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you ever been asked by your superiors if you would fire on AMERICAN CITIZENS?
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I know it's my life and my choice to reenlist or not but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why or why not?
    You said yourself.
    I have two sons with 16 and 17 years in now I am not even sure I would recommend extending if they had not already been committed til they hit 20.
    Get chewed out for this but current CC is trying to destroy the US military.
    I had always know some did not belong in the military so I would never say everyone should join or extend. But I never though I would see a day I would recommend no one enlist or extend. It has gotten that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Dental plan SUCKS. You did not miss much.
    It's still better than vice grips and cheap scotch.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

As others have said, hindsight is 20/20 or better. If you can chew the sandwich to get to twenty years, you'll still have a whole lot of living to do but with a pretty good cushion to sit on.

I went half way and regret not riding that train to the end. Medical alone is major benefit that ain't cheap on the outside.
    QKShooter and goldshellback like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I wouldn't even attempt to suggest what you should or should not do but, whatever you eventually decide to do ~ you have my gratitude already.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Rock and Glock and oneshot like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Or pliers and a cigar

A big "Thank You" for your service!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I struggled with the decision to get out or re-enlist for about half of my career. There were good times, great times, and not so great times. My bottom line is I believed what I was doing was important. Mission was more important than money. Mission was more important than advancement.

I loved the job and was so fortunate to have a wife and children who were always supportive.

It's a big decision. Best to you whatever you do.
    USN Retired

I don't know how long you have already served, but I can predict that if you get out now then someday in the future you will say to yourself, "gee ... if only I had stayed in, I could be retired now." I will also predict that this date will come much sooner than you think.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Spent 20 would reccomend reenlistment, wife lost job after 11 years two weeks ago its rough out there
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

My fiance did 4 years, and says he'd give his left nut to go back.
    I firmly believe we regret the things we didn't do, more than the things we did.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thanks for all the help everyone, you guys make great points. I am definitely leaning towards reenlistment, I am a little over halfway done with my bachelors degree already so i might as well use the Tuition Assistance while they still offer it. Who knows I could finish my degree and try to become an officer or something. Again thank you everyone.

Lead Moderator
    You didn't say (or I missed it) how long you have been in, the closer to retirement you are I'd think the greater the incentive to stay.

Aside from it being your choice the only other comments I'd have is that depending on your pay grade, count on retirement as an "extra", it's really hard in todays economy to fully retire on a military retirement (especially enlisted). Finally, get some civilian education (college, trade) while you are still in, to help in finding a civilian job when you get out. The average military retirement age (for 20) is a long way from Social Security!

Good luck with what ever decision you end up making!

(Military 21 years and retired.)
    oneshot likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links