To reenlist or not to reenlist.... - Page 3

To reenlist or not to reenlist....

This is a discussion on To reenlist or not to reenlist.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't add anything that hasn't already been said better by someone else except maybe please let us know your final decision....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said better by someone else except maybe please let us know your final decision.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Spencer, I'd like to add one more suggestion to my previous reply:

Whatever you decide, be prepared ahead of time. Plan!

I thought I was when I retired, went back to school for two Associates degrees in small business, etc., but afterwards realized I had so totally dedicated my time to the military for 20 years that I had dedicated very little to a "second" life. The post-military career I thought I'd prepared for fell apart, and I was left scrambling to earn an income and provide for two kids in private colleges.

It's never too early to plan for that "post-military" life, whenever that begins.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hey Neighbor -

I can't add much to what's already been stated, but I will reinforce the notion that you take advantage of whatever education benefits the service offers you. That's one of the best expenditures of our tax dollars (compared to, say, military golf courses) I can think of! And speaking as a graybeard in the aerospace/defense biz, the vets we hire, regardless of noncom or officer, are some of the most squared-away people we have working for us. When you're ready to join the civilian labor force, it's to your advantage to come in educated.

And - thank you for your service!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Re: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    Have you ever been asked by your superiors if you would fire on AMERICAN CITIZENS?
    What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    OldVet and goldshellback like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hey Neighbor -

I can't add much to what's already been stated, but I will reinforce the notion that you take advantage of whatever education benefits the service offers you. That's one of the best expenditures of our tax dollars (compared to, say, military golf courses) I can think of! And speaking as a graybeard in the aerospace/defense biz, the vets we hire, regardless of noncom or officer, are some of the most squared-away people we have working for us. When you're ready to join the civilian labor force, it's to your advantage to come in educated.

And - thank you for your service!
    Finishing my education with the TA is my main motivating factor to stay in. My career goal is Federal LEO like DEA, Marshall, etc. thank you gasmitty.
    goldshellback likes this.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I miss it, but I know that if I had stayed in, I would have spent many days in ACUs saying "Oh, that's right... THAT'S why I was thinking about getting out."

Still.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Finishing my education with the TA is my main motivating factor to stay in. My career goal is Federal LEO like DEA, Marshall, etc. thank you gasmitty.
    You could finish it by gettin out, going to scool free, and collecting BAH (e-5 level) while you are working another job....I get 1300 +125 for books
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You could finish it by gettin out, going to scool free, and collecting BAH (e-5 level) while you are working another job....I get 1300 +125 for books

I have thought about that as well but if I were to go that route I would make sure I had a good job lined up before I ETSed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have thought about that as well but if I were to go that route I would make sure I had a good job lined up before I ETSed.
    Definitely. I did not have anything confirmed when I retired but I knew I would be drawing retirement (and wifes salary)...you don't
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

GH
    Civilian jobs are hard to come by these days. That alone might warrant at least one more hitch. I never had to make that decision. After being out of a 6 year enlistment in the Navy & joining the Army many years later during the first half of my enlistment I decided to stay in for at least a total of 20 years. I retired a few years ago with 27 on the books.

Reenlistment time is a good time to check MOS changes & additional schools that you might not get unless it was a reenlistment incentive. Many Paratroopers under me couldn't get Airborne School until they reenlisted for instance.

My son kind of followed my footsteps. He went in the Army with a Ranger contract, served 4+ years in the 75th Ranger Regt, & when the election looked like it was going the way it went he got out but stayed in the Reserve. He went to school for Criminal Justice on the government's dime, applied for the Milwaukee PD, & worked security until a class finally started at the Academy. He graduated about a month ago & is patrolling the mean streets of Milwaukee. He plans on staying in the Reserves for at least 20. About to be promoted to SFC & is an Instructor. What better Infantry Instructor than a Ranger? lol
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

As a veteran Let me say this. I got out in 2007. Two tours in Iraq took a heavy toll on me physically and mentally. I have had a full knee replacement and will prob have to have back surgery with in the next year. I knew it was time for me to go. If you are physically and mentally sound, like your job, and are successful in the military (promotable) I would say stay. The job market is really bad. Since 2007 I have been laid off four times and and lost three jobs due to businesses going under. Right now I am unemployed, fighting to get even a part time job for $8.25 an hour just to pay my rent. I live on ramen noodles. I am not being funny either, I have 5 cases in my cupboard because its all I can afford to spend on food. If I could go back in I would in a heartbeat. Do you what is best for you but really think long and hard before you get out. Try a job change even. As far as lining up a good job goes.... I had "standing" offers with boeing, gulf stream, Schweizer aircraft, etc ( I was an Apache Helicopter crew chief)..... guess how many of them actually gave me a job when I went knocking on their door....... hence the ramen noodle. I am not saying its not possible but be very careful about companies tell you.

Glad your education options are looking good for you! When things look less than desirable in the mil you just have to remember that the retirement is based on your last held pay grade so having that "O" is what makes your retirement beverage top shelf vs call brand.

Thanks for rekindling my faith in the folks we passed the torch to.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Consider another branch of the service as well. The Coast Guard is excellent and they have some really excellent training if you are looking toward the LEO side in the Civilian world.
    NC Bullseye likes this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

About to pass what would have been my 21st year in the Navy. I regret getting out everyday. My advice is for anyone to stay in. That monthly check every month once you retire can make you very independent as to what you do next in the civilian world.
    Jeanlouise and pittypat21 like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I'm glad I got out, BUT, make sure you're getting out towards something. Don't just get out and think people will respect your service and offer you a job like the post WW2 generation. Have a plan to land with, get yourself into a technical field, get certifications/clearance etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links