To reenlist or not to reenlist....

This is a discussion on To reenlist or not to reenlist.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can only add that at the end of my first 4 years, I knew that I was staying 20. I'm not saying it was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

I can only add that at the end of my first 4 years, I knew that I was staying 20. I'm not saying it was easy. Missed a whole lot of birthdays and anniversaries and the kids growing up. I will say that the good memories far outweigh the bad ones. Those that have never served cannot fathom the experiences that I have gained and the brotherhood I still enjoy today. Nothing brings back the memories like hearing a good sea story! As you have said, the choice is yours to make. I made mine and had no regrets other than I should have stayed longer. God bless!
    BigCityChief likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Lots of good advice in this thread. I have been taking it a tour at a time, and now have 21 years in the Navy so far. My Dad served 3 years in the Army, got out, and often talked about wishing he'd stayed in. Military life isn't easy, and gets harder when you have a wife, children, and high OPTEMPO, but the opportunity to serve our great country with some really great like-minded people has been the honor of a lifetime for me. I'll always have tremendous respect for the WWII veterans, but I firmly believe that the young servicemembers who are serving today, many of whom were young schoolchildren on 9/11, are pretty impressive as well.
    BigCityChief likes this.

Re: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

I am one I wished I stayed in. The choice is yours and yours alone like you stated.

Regardless thank you for your service and good luck to you in whatever you choose.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

If you're lucky enough to grab a govvie job in these times, it's another way to keep the years you had in the military if you get out. My ten years of Navy are accounted for in my seniority and towards my retirement... So long as Uncle Sam has the money to pay for that retirement when I'm done.

If my wife and I hadn't had a child, I would have probably stayed in the military, but I couldn't do it after missing most of our child's first two years due to deployments. I served 5 years AD. If I had stayed in, I would be coming up on 15 years in the military. I'm coming up on 8years as a LEO, so I could be retired at 47 with 20 years, as compared to military retired at 40 with 20 years. I enlisted at 20.
    Last edited by mulle46; February 14th, 2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

First, sir, I'd like to thank you for your service. The professional life of a US Army scout/sniper is not an easy one. The demands of the service, your obligations to your strict training regimens, your loyalty to your fellow soldiers and your obligations to your wife and daughter make the discerning process difficult. Only you can know the right path to take. I will tell you what my wonderful father told me when I faced tough career and life decisions: "Do what you love and love what you do." Whatever decision you make, I pray that it will be one which brings you and your family happiness and security. God bless you and yours, sir.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Obvisously there are a million factors that we're not privy to, but I can tell you that the job market isn't so hot out here so if you like what you're doing I'd lean to reenlistment. Which ever you decide, best of luck and thank you for serving.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How long have you been in, do you like being in, are you married, do you want to if you are not, would the military preclude you from starting a family if you so desired, do you like what you are doing, and if not can you change what you are doing in the military and be happy, can you take what you have learned in the service and apply that to civilian life, how many years before you retire with benefits ?
    Whew!

P.S.
    The Commander in Chief and his family may hold you in distain, but we do not, Thanks for your dedication.
    mulle46 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I retired from USMC as a Master Gunnery Sergeant (E-9) after thirty years Active Duty. I went to college on the Montgomery GI Bill and taught High School. I Spent six years in Viet Nam and many deployments therafter. I don't regret it for one minute. I loved teaching and I could afford to teach with my military retirement. I wouldn't trade anything for my memories of the Corps. The only decision you have to reach is "Are you a military man, or is it not really for you". You are the only one that can answer that, nobody else knows.
    BigCityChief, OldVet and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

okay again thank you all for the advice. I do have another question for all those vets out there though. If I were to reenlist where should I go? I would stay CONUS. Currently I am stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas which is nice because it is close to home(Mesa, AZ). My wife said she doesn't really care where I go though so what do you guys think? I know I know it's my decision I guess I am just looking for some pros about military posts and why you guys liked certain bases. Leaning towards Fort Carson or staying at Fort Bliss...Anybody know anything about Fort Carson?
    Last edited by SpencerB; February 15th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Every four years I told myself "No Way!" After twenty years I finally meant it.

Military life goes in good and bad cycles. Because civilian leadership will no longer commit our forces to total victory, the down swings have grown longer and longer. It's a tough call. At times I hated the service, at others there was no where else I'd rather be. Even though the situation has changed somewhat, I think they're better than back in Vietnam where the only contact with home was a ten-day-old letter or a brief call on MARS.

Depending on what your military skills are (There's not a lot of demand for infantry in the civilian world), you may or may not find ready employment awaiting you. Returning back to the real world can be like a slap from an angry woman. You leave behind job security, medical care (for what it's worth), housing (even if in run-down base housing), and a lot of camaraderie that you won't find elsewhere.

Funding will only get tighter in the near future, any gravy will get cut. Staying in will not be a piece of cake. You can get out now, start over with basicly nothing, or you can do your twenty and start over with at least a pension and some form of medical care. It's a tough call either way, one only you have to ultimately answer for.

Good luck in your decision.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ What Old Vet said. Words of wisdom
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Very wise words indeed....it's a lot to think about.

Good luck in you're decision

get out collect unemployment go to school get e5 bah collect disability and sign up at your local va youll have free va medical if your rated 0 % disabled has anyopne had anything positive theyve done for themselves since they got out of active duty ??? any successful stories besides everyone regreting getting out i know i got out the marines am getting unemployment and going to get into school plus collecting disability im trying to get my a and p license working on planes and helos its what i did in the marines

Me personally I am not a fan of getting out and collecting unemployment to support my family.
    NC Bullseye likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I know it's my life and my choice to reenlist or not but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why or why not?
    I enlisted when I was 16 and stayed 24 years and would have stayed 30 but a physical disability disallowed continued service. I have no idea as what your goals are but I stayed for the training, travel, adventure and the opportunity to serve my country. The schooling and experience I gained while in the military qualified me for my second and third careers after I retired. Would I do it again? In a heart beat

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    I servered ten years.....now at 54 and looking for a job i kick myself in the ass everyday for not going the other ten. I would have drawn retirement for life at 37. And complete medical and dental for life for me and my family. Stay in!
    Thanks to Clinton there is no longer totally free medical care unless you have a service connected disability. All VA medical care coverages are based on a income means test. Based on your income you are placed in a category from 1 to 8. 1 is the best and 8 is the worst. Dental care is only offered to 100% disabled veterans at VA care centers. I have a service connected disability and must pay a co pay for all medical services and prescriptions not directly associated with my disability. I know that some military bases do offer medical services to veterans but on a limited basis, but I have never used a base service.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links