To reenlist or not to reenlist....

This is a discussion on To reenlist or not to reenlist.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know it's my life and my choice to reenlist or not but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why or ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: To reenlist or not to reenlist....

To reenlist or not to reenlist....

I know it's my life and my choice to reenlist or not but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why or why not?
    darbo likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I know it's my life and my choice to reenlist or not but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why or why not?
    I can't add anything more....you said it well in the OP. Good luck with your decision. No matter which way you decide you can never look back and second guess. Life is fickle like that.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Obvisously there are a million factors that we're not privy to, but I can tell you that the job market isn't so hot out here so if you like what you're doing I'd lean to reenlistment. Which ever you decide, best of luck and thank you for serving.
    Jaybm likes this.

You honor me with your service. Thank you for that. I can no more help you decide what you should do than the man in the moon.
    Many people over here would feel fortunate to have employment and benefits. You've got that.
    Many people wouldn't want to risk their lives fighting for others to get them. You've got that.
    Many folks appreciate what you do. You've got that.
    and on and on...

tough choice... all yours.

But, sincerely, thank you for what you do.
    phreddy likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I have ran into thousands of folks that told me they wish they would have stayed in a got a retirement. I have yet to run into anyone that told me they wish they had gotten out of the military rather than stay in and retire.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    I would definitely look into the prospective job market before deciding. Are there jobs available in a suitable field for you.

I personally wish I could have stayed in. I did my four years and really only left because I was getting married and didn't care to move around a bunch with a family. Had I been single when my four years were up I'd probably still be in and over halfway to retirement already. lol Oh well. I believe I made the right move for me and my family. Likewise, it's really only you who can decide what's best for you (and your family if you're married/have kids). Good luck with your decision and thank you for your service!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Every four years I told myself "No Way!" After twenty years I finally meant it.

Military life goes in good and bad cycles. Because civilian leadership will no longer commit our forces to total victory, the down swings have grown longer and longer. It's a tough call. At times I hated the service, at others there was no where else I'd rather be. Even though the situation has changed somewhat, I think they're better than back in Vietnam where the only contact with home was a ten-day-old letter or a brief call on MARS.

Depending on what your military skills are (There's not a lot of demand for infantry in the civilian world), you may or may not find ready employment awaiting you. Returning back to the real world can be like a slap from an angry woman. You leave behind job security, medical care (for what it's worth), housing (even if in run-down base housing), and a lot of camaraderie that you won't find elsewhere.

Funding will only get tighter in the near future, any gravy will get cut. Staying in will not be a piece of cake. You can get out now, start over with basicly nothing, or you can do your twenty and start over with at least a pension and some form of medical care. It's a tough call either way, one only you have to ultimately answer for.

Good luck in your decision.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I servered ten years.....now at 54 and looking for a job i kick myself in the ass everyday for not going the other ten. I would have drawn retirement for life at 37. And complete medical and dental for life for me and my family. Stay in!
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    I servered ten years.....now at 54 and looking for a job i kick myself in the ass everyday for not going the other ten. I would have drawn retirement for life at 37. And complete medical and dental for life for me and my family. Stay in!
    Dental plan SUCKS. You did not miss much.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Your life. Your path. Your choice.
    Having watched the Vietnam mess as a kid, I did not choose the military. The way our guys were treated was criminal.
    Now, at middle age, I have friends who put in their 20 and are young enough to have whole new careers. In one case, the retirement pays the mortgage and he and his family were stationed in lots of cool places.
    As others have mentioned, the job market out here is not great. Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever path you choose and thank you for your service.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My son is wrestling with the same decision now also.
    I would ask, do you believe in what you are doing? Do you enjoy it?
    Does the Army offer another school/MOS that you are interested in?
    As has been said, there isn't much available in the way of jobs on the outside.
    You could re-enlist for a good school that would give you some marketability when you do decide to get out.
    If nothing else, how about armorer/gunsmith? Thank you for what you do and may God bless you and your decision.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    I loved the job and the mission. The pay - not so much. I miss the beautiful liberation that comes with a direct order, and the chain of command. Kiss that good-bye in the civilian world.

I got out to go to college and start preparing for a future family that I was just starting to think about.

I have no regrets - other than that I wish I had appreciated more what I was doing during my 5 short years of service. As you well know, you will likely never get those experiences in civilian life. Your time in now will likely be something that you always look back fondly on (selective memory tends to filter out the bad stuff).

I'd still be in if I wasn't so old and broken down!

The retirement and benefits are worth it, IMHO.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

All I can offer is my thank you for your service to this point. Good luck with your decision!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links