law enforcement duty camera

This is a discussion on law enforcement duty camera within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; anybody use a on person camera/recording device? im researching it for using for drunk drivers and audio recordings. i was looking at this Amazon.com: Veho ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: law enforcement duty camera

anybody use a on person camera/recording device?

im researching it for using for drunk drivers and audio recordings.

i was looking at this
    Amazon.com: Veho Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD: Camera & Photo

anyone have an input?

Re: law enforcement duty camera

Things to consider- wiretap (capturing audio) laws in your jurisdiction. How to handle the recordings -as evidence( will you submit any, all, just the ones that you are worried about?) Generally a good idea to have some sort of agency guideline. You could always run it by your local prosecutor for advice.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Are you a LEO? Is it legal for you to do so, and would it be usable in court? I doubt it. Would you be upset if someone or a LEO took a video of you without your knowledge? Yes you would be.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    If you were to try to use it in court, you would have chain of custody issues. Usually the video belonging to a party to a lawsuit would not be admissible.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

i would submit the recordings both audio and visual if i do get it and attach it to my IR. i have a partner at my pd who has the veho muvi and he uses it for drunks and other calls i believe.

it is the same thing as the squad camera that is in our car, i would just be carrying it on my person. i know many departments that have officers carry recording devices on their person.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, everybody on my dept uses one. PM me and I'll give you the details. Its saved our butts more than once on drunks, Domestics, and idiots in general. Its always interesting to see how they change their storys when present with the evidence on computer.

Its amazing how many "complaints" just go away.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Texas only one party must approve video & audio recording.
    This is a good idea for CHL holders. I think I'll look for a better built unit.

I was an officer in savannah georgia for several years. Georgia law allows for the recording of video/audiowithout notification. I used a digital recorder with a clip on mic in my shirt pocket . Before each and every use I identified myself, location, date, time, and purpose( Traffic stop, suspicious person, etc). I used it regularly especially when dealing with DUI and minors. It made writing reports easy, and i could burn the audio to disk as needed for evidence, turned in following the chain of custody. The department was ok with it, as pool cars were not equipped with dash cams or audio recorders. The recordings came in handy several times as evidence. The only issue i see in hindsight was consistency, but I did save everything on my officer account on the precint computers and a backup file on my personal computer as well
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If it gets drunk drivers off the road and in jail,good luck

I have the muvi for occasional loss prevention purposes. If you get one get the pro model since it has a timestamp. No timestamp makes it entirely useless for any kind of legal purpose.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstarpre View Post
    i would submit the recordings both audio and visual if i do get it and attach it to my IR. i have a partner at my pd who has the veho muvi and he uses it for drunks and other calls i believe.

it is the same thing as the squad camera that is in our car, i would just be carrying it on my person. i know many departments that have officers carry recording devices on their person.
    Why need something in addition to the car cam? I know for a fact my local department allows only department issued equipment in the car other then a cell phone. Isn't it odd that the average LEO gets very upset when they see the video cam on my rearview mirror but you lead me to believe the LEO's secretly do the same. I'd bet my paycheck that you would regret getting caught using a non department approved item in my local department. If it is not issued by the department you don't use it.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I just saw one a best buy 159.00 it was a cube 1.5" an attchs to anything very cool was made for cycling to put on helmut its waterproof holds memory cards easily attached to your ticket book.

Don't the new X26's have cameras on them now?

Just tase everyone you stop.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    You might look at this: SCORPION Micro Recorder Patrol kit - LEA. I haven't checked for any reviews yet on-line, but it looks really promising--its really, really small!!

On edit: found this link: LEA Scorpion Micro DV Who's Got em?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Why need something in addition to the car cam? I know for a fact my local department allows only department issued equipment in the car other then a cell phone. Isn't it odd that the average LEO gets very upset when they see the video cam on my rearview mirror but you lead me to believe the LEO's secretly do the same. I'd bet my paycheck that you would regret getting caught using a non department approved item in my local department. If it is not issued by the department you don't use it.
    Why need something in addition to the car cam?
    -because the car can't go into houses or buildings and get video of what is taking place
    -because the on-person camera can record things behind other vehicles, fences, etc and provide great evidence (as one of my partner's got where a 15 yr old got shot...he got the suspect on his body camera at the scene when he and others were denying he was there while I was giving her medical aid, we were blocked from being recorded on both our car's cameras)
    -We also used it on a standoff with an armed suicidal person, our cars were at the end of the block due to having to search house to house at night, video was only good for part of the way down the street and when we found the guy we were out of range for our microphones so no audio for the car system, my buddy was with me behind cover as we negotiated with the guy and the whole thing was caught on his body cam, thankfully he was talked down before he shot himself or forced us to shoot him, if it turned bad we would have had it all on video, this would quell any of the anti-police people we have here and would aid at the grand jury

if your local department bans non-issued equipment in the car....fine, but that doesn't mean other states and jurisdictions can't use it to help with cases
    and for the record, I have no problem with anyone having cameras on their personal vehicles or on their person, because I don't do anything that I would be worried about getting "busted" for
    and the use of video equipment on patrol cars is far from a secret....dash cams have been around in patrol cars for a couple of decades now, people are well versed on this via the numerous TV shows and videos on the news, if anyone thinks this is a secret they have had their head in the sand for a long time
    As for body cameras, these are relatively new, but as HotGuns and others said, these cams are aiding with prosecution of dirtbags, drunk drivers, and saving the taxpayers from paying out frivolous lawsuits against the city/county/state and getting fraudulent complaints thrown out or prosecuted

trackstarpre....I don't know the brand, but one of my officers here has one that combines his WT microphone with the camera, hangs on the front of his shirt, has link up to computer to upload video/audio to case files and has successfully been used in court
    I do know there are plenty of others sold at places like best buy etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links