"Hey Big Brother" - Smart Phone That IDs Someone From A Distance

This is a discussion on "Hey Big Brother" - Smart Phone That IDs Someone From A Distance within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "The military has a special gadget in mind. The Dept. of Defense has awarded a $3 mil contract to startup AOptix Tech to create a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: "Hey Big Brother" - Smart Phone That IDs Someone From A Distance

"The military has a special gadget in mind. The Dept. of Defense has awarded a $3 mil contract to startup AOptix Tech to create a smartphone that can ID someone from a distance by scanning their face, eyes and thumbs and recording their voice. The “smart mobile identity” device will record facial features and iris or thumb features and send them to a database. The military uses an expensive dedicated device today, but the soldier has to bring it near the person’s face and thumb to scan. "

Press Release: AOptix Teams with CACI to Develop Smart Mobile Identity Devices for U.S. Department of Defense

So first the gun that marks people for later apprehension and now one that IDs people from a distance...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    "The military has a special gadget in mind. The Dept. of Defense has awarded a $3 mil contract to startup AOptix Tech to create a smartphone that can ID someone from a distance by scanning their face, eyes and thumbs and recording their voice. The “smart mobile identity” device will record facial features and iris or thumb features and send them to a database. The military uses an expensive dedicated device today, but the soldier has to bring it near the person’s face and thumb to scan. "

Press Release: AOptix Teams with CACI to Develop Smart Mobile Identity Devices for U.S. Department of Defense

So first the gun that marks people for later apprehension and now one that IDs people from a distance...
    You do realize that DoD has intelligence services that would have a need for this technology overseas right?
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You do realize that DoD has intelligence services that would have a need for this technology overseas right?
    I agree.

I'm seeing a pattern now where when new technology that can be applied to warfare is developed, instead of being excited about it (yea! something that we can use against the bad guys), we now look at it with a skeptical eye (whoa! something my government can use against me).

Our perspective of the allegiance of our own government has changed.
    oneshot, tclance and atctimmy like this.

Ha, and my wife didn't believe me when I told her I'd find a practical reason to wear these glasses one day...

Groucho1.jpg
    Jdunn217, StevePVB and Jeanlouise like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I agree.

I'm seeing a pattern now where when new technology that can be applied to warfare is developed, instead of being excited about it (yea! something that we can use against the bad guys), we now look at it with a skeptical eye (whoa! something my government can use against me).

Who's fault is that? It's not the people's fault.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Did you know that when your smart/iphone is shut off - it is actually still on?

It just uses less battery and appears to be off.

And you can be location tracked or your room conversations can be listened to without you being aware of it...while your phone is off - unless the battery is physically removed?

I honestly don't know what reason anybody would have for wanting to track law abiding ordinary citizens and/or secretly listen to their conversations (sounds pretty damn boring to me) but, that function/technology already exists in your phone. Just FYI.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Oh yes, neat toys like this and more.....
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

And you can be location tracked or your room conversations can be listened to without you being aware of it...while your phone is off - unless the battery is physically removed?

I honestly don't know what reason anybody would have for wanting to track law abiding ordinary citizens and/or secretly listen to their conversations (sounds pretty damn boring to me) but, that function/technology already exists in your phone. Just FYI.
    That's why cell phones are restricted in a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

And if you have a Government Motors vehicle with OnStar you can also be voice monitored and tracked even if you do not have the service activated; one more reason I will NEVER own one.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    ¡Hola! ¿Cómo a`h estás?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Well, I hope it can identify me from looking at my azz when I bend over so they can kiss it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Then they'll just turn them back on: Hacked Smartphones Could Be Used to Spy On You | TechNewsDaily.com

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Sure things can be done with any technology. Older cell phones were even easier to do things with. But a word of advice..when referencing an article that is based on technology, one that is not 3 years old would be more relevent to the current technology and safe gaurds that are built in
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I agree.

I see nothing here that can possibly help us as in We The People. More to the contrary.

My Allegiance is to The Republic. Not this government nor any other government.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links