Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes -

This is a discussion on Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes - within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes - See more at: Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes CBS Dallas / Fort ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By smokey197604
  • 4 Post By mprp
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By fredg53
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By bigmacque
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes -

Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes -

Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes - See more at: Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Yeeeeha, Texas. Good for you.

Note: I put this here because Paramedics are also a first responder. Hope it is the right place.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Frankly, I don't think that's a good idea. Too many variables that compromise safety given the nature of an EMT's job. Retention, falling out, training, situational awareness, a patient grabbing a gun, does one EMT provide cover for the other? I don't know, but if the situation is dangerous enough to warrant a weapon, it seems like waiting for an LEO would be the more prudent choice. NOW, in a rural area, if each vehicle had a .22 rifle or .410 shotgun just for animals and such, I could see that. For example, a car hits a wild pig/boar (I've seen several that are taller than the hood of my Toyota Camry). Let's say the pig is not killed but going "nuts" or is dangerous when the EMT's arrive on scene. The dangerous animal prevents treatment. in that case, I could see the need for a weapon.

I would also say, though, that if the EMT has a CCW and his work doesn't not express forbid/restrict CCW, s/he has the right to carry and protect himself. If I were an EMT with my CFP (which I have) and there were no company policies saying I could not carry, I would.

As an emt I work in both a large city at one job and out in the country for another .. I agree it would be nice to be able to protect yourself because we often walk into peoples homes based on just what they said to the 911 operator's .. or worse those medical alarms I have scared a few older people because we entered there home for an worm they didn't know was going off.... hugest problem I could see with ccw on a truck is that its illegal to carry in a hospital in Florida and we do often have to go into gun free zones like schools and prisons .. would be kids a pain to have to go to a medical call at a school or court house and have to delay care to secure a weapon in a safe ... just my thoughts... but with the way the country is going I do think we need to be armed just have to get some other laws or exemptions in place to make it work..
    Spirit51 likes this.

I like how the one guy speaking against the idea mentions that they wouldn't want to be bringing something on scene that could be taken away and used against them. How does LE and everyone else in the country do it every day? One good trait he possesses though; you can shave his back and make a nice wool jacket.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey197604 View Post
    hugest problem I could see with ccw on a truck is that its illegal to carry in a hospital in Florida . . .
    Technically that is incorrect. I refer the explanation why to page 120 of Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms Law, use & Ownership. Firearms are prohibited in hospitals "except as authorized by law" and the prohibition of concealed firearms does not include hospitals.

Edit: And I approve of armed Paramedics. They voluntarily go places most of us would run from.
    bigmacque and Spirit51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I Think it is a good Idea. I have friend who is an EMT and has been in some pretty bad situations anf he wished he could carry
    Spirit51 likes this.

I think the issues most people have concerning retention, storage, going into prohibited places and that kind of stuff are really non-issues.

All of those can be addressed either via policies or legislation.

Armed medics are not unheard of. There are several back country rescue organizations which are run by, and part of the county sheriff departments where all the medics and high angle rescue technicians are full time deputies. There have been several articles over the years on them in the EMS trade journals showing photos of the armed deputies performing complex high angle technical rescues of stranded or injured rock climbers or injured campers in technical terrain all depicting the crews armed with their regular duty side arm (usually Glocks).

Again, I think the issues some people have, are really non-issues. I don't see any problem which can't be worked through with good and sound policies put in place and proper legislation addressed in those states.

And as always (just like with armed teachers in the class room), you make it an option instead of a requirement. Those who don't like guns or don't want to carry a gun, would naturally be allowed to not carry one. You shouldn't force a person to carry a gun who doesn't want to. But likewise, those who do wish to carry should also be allowed to carry.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They should be allowed to just like most people in most occupations.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea, for all of the reasons posted above. Good firearms training helps get past any objections raised.

And no, it's not illegal to carry in a hospital in Florida. If you're in a secured area that is housing patients with mental health issues then you're probably better off leaving it in the car, but I think even Gutmacher says that could be a gray area. A person with a valid and legal permit is not restricted from simply carrying into a hospital.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    First responders need to have the option to be armed - for so many obvious reasons that it hurts.

I don't even understand how it could be up for debate.
    Last edited by WHEC724; February 27th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I like how the one guy speaking against the idea mentions that they wouldn't want to be bringing something on scene that could be taken away and used against them. How does LE and everyone else in the country do it every day? One good trait he possesses though; you can shave his back and make a nice wool jacket.
    My take on that Matt Z character is he's got all the makings for the kind of politician we've all grown to hate. A real Bloomberg wanna be.

A time or 2 I've found myself smack dab in the middle of something while on the job and thinking I wish my gun wasn't in my truck.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Technically that is incorrect. I refer the explanation why to page 120 of Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms Law, use & Ownership. Firearms are prohibited in hospitals "except as authorized by law" and the prohibition of concealed firearms does not include hospitals.

Edit: And I approve of armed Paramedics. They voluntarily go places most of us would run from.
    Gutmacher also points out that firearms are illegal in a mental health facility and many hospitals do have a mental health wing. IANAL but it seems like the EMTs would need to be sworn officers or get some sort of authority to carry in the hospital or school.

I think your last point is on the money Bark'n. When people get into LE for a career they're fully aware of the duties and equipment that is mandatory for the job and need to accept the fact that they will have to be trained and proficient in their uses. The duties of a teacher or a paramedic, or many other occupations for that matter, aren't normally required to address direct threats but it does happen. It's pretty easy to draw a line where carrying is mandatory and part of the job. It's another thing to try and introduce lethal force into workplaces where protecting and defending aren't usually a necessity and resistance is to be expected by those who "didn't sign up for that."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Gutmacher also points out that firearms are illegal in a mental health facility and many hospitals do have a mental health wing. IANAL but it seems like the EMTs would need to be sworn officers or get some sort of authority to carry in the hospital or school.
    What he states, and I quote here, is:
    "FS 394.458 states that 'except as authorized by law' it is a third degree felony for any person to bring, carry, possess or transport a 'firearm or other dangerous weapon' (or alcoholic beverage)upon the grounds of any 'hospital (or mental health facility) providing mental health services." [My italics]

In the next paragraph he explains, "What are the exceptions?" and states the answer lies in the phrase "except as authorized by law." He then points out several "by law" statutes including 790.06--listing the prohibited places for CC--which does NOT include hospitals and mental facilities. He goes on to state there is no "case law" on this matter, so urges caution.

Ref:
    Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership by Jon H. Gutmacher
    bigmacque likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes lets do it. It was just a few months ago that some geezer set a house on fire and shot at firemen. All first responders should be armed (concealed carry that is, maybe not so much OC) except firefighters. Sorry guys but there is a chance that you could get caught in the actual fire and that could cook off some rounds and lead to other issues. With that said the firefighters fire trucks should indeed have some firearms stowed away on them.

Links