Felons and guns?

This is a discussion on Felons and guns? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my gf recently made friends with this women at work. This women and my gf want to go on double dates or something like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Felons and guns?

Felons and guns?

So my gf recently made friends with this women at work. This women and my gf want to go on double dates or something like that with the womans husband and I. The husband, from what my gf's friend told her is former army infantry (I was marine infantry so we got that in common) and was blown up and all this other stuff. So as she is saying this I'm thinking alright so maybe it wont be that bad. Well towards the end of this conversation she mentions that he can't own guns anymore because when they lived in MA I guess he got caught with having a gun that wasn't registered. I don't know mass laws but if someone tells me that they can't own a gun I think felony right?

So I guess this is the question. I assume he is a felon if he can't own guns (dumb reason to make someone a felon imo). Now given our mutual past and my love for guns, it is unlikely that I can keep my firearms out of conversation. Is it illegal if I were to take him shooting? I think the answer to that is yes. However does anyone who is an LEO really give 2 cents that it is when it is such a bull charge as having a unregistered firearm?

one thing to keep in mind which adds to this is as a NH resident I don't support firearm registration nor as a NH resident am I required to register any firearms unlike some of those awful state dictatorships some of you live in.

Also the area in which I shoot is private land, so I'm not talking a shooting range or something like that. Just want to know how you LEO's would handle seeing that or what have you.

2. Remove Ads

I am NOT a LEO, but if you give/loan a gun to him (a felon, however bogus the conviction may be) I believe you are commiting a felony yourself. Just my .02
    atctimmy and Hopyard like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

First of all, I AM NOT A LAWYER OR LEO.

From reading your post, it seems as if you're unsure if he's a felon. How about confirming it before you proceed to do anything shooting related with him?

Well towards the end of this conversation she mentions that he can't own guns anymore because when they lived in MA I guess he got caught with having a gun that wasn't registered. I don't know mass laws but if someone tells me that they can't own a gun I think felony right?
    Assuming. I strongly suggest you find out for sure. Just be blunt and ask.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

You don't get to pick and choose which laws you obey. You're either a lawful citizen or a criminal. While you may not agree with the law behind the crime, it is still the law. By providing a felon a firearm you place yourself in jeopardy of loosing your rights also.

Famous last words, "What could possibly go wrong?" Even shooting on private land you seem to forget the one universal law, Murphey's.

As to a LEO caring about why he's a felon and looking the other way? I'd not take that bet that they'd let their personal feelings interfere since they have a living they could loose by doing that.
    tacman605 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Find new friends!
    atctimmy and USM1976 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why would you consider becoming a fellon and forfeiting your 2A rights for somebody you don't know. I would not do that for my brother much less a friend of a friend. You have no clue who these people hang out with or what they talk about.

I would say NO to the double date. Expain why to your GF. If she has a problem with it DUMP her as well as her friends.
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You don't get to pick and choose which laws you obey. You're either a lawful citizen or a criminal. While you may not agree with the law behind the crime, it is still the law. By providing a felon a firearm you place yourself in jeopardy of loosing your rights also.

Famous last words, "What could possibly go wrong?" Even shooting on private land you seem to forget the one universal law, Murphey's.

As to a LEO caring about why he's a felon and looking the other way? I'd not take that bet that they'd let their personal feelings interfere since they have a living they could loose by doing that.
    @bold - Realistically, you're either a law abiding citizen or a felon, IMO. There's plenty of people with misdemeanors who do have CC permits. Whether it's because of plea deals, etc. etc. etc. - That's why I tend to look at it as law abiding citizen and felons. Then again, there's also a lot of ridiculous laws that are felonies in some states.. One screw up doesn't make you a criminal (as in permanently deemed one) in my eyes.

Meh, I contradicted my self. I'm half awake, so forgive me.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I wouldn't go near that dude with a ten foot pole. He might be OK or he might be a bad dude in nice guy disguise.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    atctimmy that could be said of any person you ever meet. We never know who someone really is, we just have to go with our gut feeling about someone.

To the original poster, if you take him shooting you are granting a felon access to a firearm. Doing that is a quick way to get a trip to the Hotel Fed and see all of your guns leave with a nice federal agent.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

So, I guess this is nothing similar to allowing an unlicensed teen drive around my farm? Because we do that all the time, and assume it's actually legal on our own property.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

saa
    Follow the law and do not provide firearms for this guys use, in any form or fashion. Or you may have one more thing in common with him... a felony. Just MHO.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

You are going on a double date, not marrying the dude. Just go and have fun. Take it from their. You don't evenknow the facts yet. If you want to go shooting then just be upfront with the guy.

It is pretty simple.
    KBSR, StevePVB, Ransom and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

As usual, suntzu hit the nail on the head. You're going out with your friend, and new friends. Go have fun and don't over think it. Cross the bridge when you come to it.

If you end up on private land, shooting at beer cans so be it. I wouldn't knowingly sell this guy a gun if I knew he was a felon, but if he's now my friend and if I trust him, I wouldn't tell him he can't shoot my gun either. Are you thinking an ATF guy is hiding in the woods to catch you sharing your passion with a friend? I happen to know they got better things to do with their time. (Like walking guns to Mexican Drug Cartels. LOL)

Lots of folks (particularly on here) will tell you to dump your friends, if they have felony convictions in their past. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. You must make your own decisions, following your own gut. The safe way is to choose your friends wisely, based on their character and actions, not their past.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

...I have friends who are convicted felons...from robbery to multiple DWIs to I don't know what...
    ...they know I carry...if they ever ask...I'll just say "No"...it's a word folks don't use a lot these days...but it still works...

...I'm with the "not risking my rights because he's lost his" camp...locals may wink but federal attorneys love to make cases on gun law violations...ain't gonna happen...and secrets live to be exposed...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    BS or not, agree or not, if he is a convicted felon and you give him a gun or take him shooting and he is just near your guns, it is illegal. And you could both be in some deep kimshee. Don't risk loosing your rights and going to jail.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links