The Militarization of Policing in America

This is a discussion on The Militarization of Policing in America within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; American neighborhoods are increasingly being policed by cops armed with the weapons and tactics of war. Federal funding in the billions of dollars has allowed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Militarization of Policing in America

American neighborhoods are increasingly being policed by cops armed with the weapons and tactics of war. Federal funding in the billions of dollars has allowed state and local police departments to gain access to weapons and tactics created for overseas combat theaters and yet very little is known about exactly how many police departments have military weapons and training, how militarized the police have become, and how extensively federal money is incentivizing this trend.
    The Militarization of Policing in America | American Civil Liberties Union
    Eagleks likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Regardless of such, I'll still stand for what I feel is right.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Heck they're just getting ready for the collapse that's just around the corner.
    Chevy-SS and OhioCatter like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

And?
    A weapon is a tool. The geography related to its development is irrelevant. That just tells us where people were working when they identified a solution to a problem.

The taser cuffs are just the logical follow on to the taser belt that has been around for years.

The department that got the M113 with a M-2? Nothing new there. Maryland national capital park and planning commission (bi,county agency in D.C. suburbs) has had one for their police for thirty years.
    64zebra likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

There is No Law stating private citizens cannot own surplus military vehicles like APC's and TANKS. Collectors abound world wide that collect vintage WWII aircraft, artillery, tanks and the like.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Perhaps the LEOs should revert back to pocket .32 cal pistols and call boxes on the street corners? Tactics and weapons evolve and the LEOs need to at least keep up if not stay ahead.
    KBSR, 64zebra and thephanatik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I for one don't understand the point of this thread.

Why, pray tell, would anyone want our men and women in blue, to be less prepared and equipped than their potential adversary? If your local police department uses that Bearcat Tactical vehicle to rescue your children or grandchildren, you'll be glad they had the foresight to buy it. Tactical teams with snipers (yes Snipers) are necessary in the world we live in.

I applaud the law enforcement community for taking the initiative to use every tool available to them, to serve and protect, and also to safeguard the sheepdogs that are brave enough to wear that badge. It ain't for the money, that's for sure.

Be safe.
    Snub44, 64zebra, kb2wji and 3 others like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

...a lot of local PDs get more money than they know what to do with...so they buy new toys...waaaaaaaaaaay back in the 70s, they bought us new GE walkie-talkies, Xerox printer thingys in the car(which were obsolete the next year and had to be thrown out), and new Model 66s...spend it or lose it is the name of the game...speaking about my local PD, I want them to have all the firepower they can get...we're on the southern edge of big D...and get a lot of drippings...

...there were rumors back then that a plan was in place to federalize local forces...I never thought about it enough to check it out...
    KBSR and USM1976 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Perhaps the LEOs should revert back to pocket .32 cal pistols and call boxes on the street corners? Tactics and weapons evolve and the LEOs need to at least keep up if not stay ahead.
    Of course not. My problem isn't so much the equipment or the tactics it's the fact that there are people who actually believe that the government is "here to help" and that's the justification for turning a blind eye.
    The government usually starts problems (politicians) or cleans them up afterward (police), rarely getting in the middle of them. To me, it's a lot of make work, just like paying people to dig holes and fill them back in, only not as obvious.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

...there will always be that kind of person...from the pre-revolution days till now...you basically have two camps...one thinks that the gooberment's benevolent and will take good care of us and supply all our needs...one that knows it's made up of greedy, power-hungry men of low character and high charisma who want to rule us and suck us dry...and want them to just leave us alone to live the American life...(there are a few making transition from one camp to the other...but not that many)...

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Of course not. My problem isn't so much the equipment or the tactics it's the fact that there are people who actually believe that the government is "here to help" and that's the justification for turning a blind eye.
    The government usually starts problems (politicians) or cleans them up afterward (police), rarely getting in the middle of them. To me, it's a lot of make work, just like paying people to dig holes and fill them back in, only not as obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...a lot of local PDs get more money than they know what to do with...so they buy new toys...waaaaaaaaaaay back in the 70s, they bought us new GE walkie-talkies, Xerox printer thingys in the car(which were obsolete the next year and had to be thrown out), and new Model 66s...spend it or lose it is the name of the game...speaking about my local PD, I want them to have all the firepower they can get...we're on the southern edge of big D...and get a lot of drippings...

...there were rumors back then that a plan was in place to federalize local forces...I never thought about it enough to check it out...
    Back in the day you could buy a used agency vehicle and know that it had been maintained properly. Now they just run them until warranty is up then get a grant from uncle and buy a new one. Auctions have become sort of pot luck now.
    Snub44 likes this.

DHS is becoming more & more like the military.
    Why would they need these?

Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile | The Gateway Pundit
    sldcountry likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Our Sheriff dept. recently got Thermal viewing optics thanks to a Federal grant. I for one, can see using them when rolling quietly up to a domestic out in the boonies (which is everywhere around here), and using it to scan for heat sources hiding in the bushes/darkness, waiting to ambush us, since they know that if we show up, most likely, somebody (them) is going to jail.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Well besides the fact that they are not light armored tanks and there is no 1.6 billion bullet stockpile, I will answer the question.

DHS patrols the borders. Along one of our borders we have drug cartels moving quantities of drugs and illigal immigrants. Working for those cartels are former Mexican special forces soldiers. These cartels are armed with typical battlefield weapons up to and including rocket propelled grenades.
    KBSR, 64zebra and JSutter like this.

Our police dept doesnt pay squat.We can't keep any good ones and i don't blame them.Some of them on the force now,couldn't find a convict in walmart.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links