Brooklyn Police Kill Armed Teen

This is a discussion on Brooklyn Police Kill Armed Teen within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Brooklyn, NY police officers killed a teenager who pointed a gun. Do crazy stuff win crazy prizes. Cops shoot teen gunman dead in Brooklyn - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Brooklyn Police Kill Armed Teen

Brooklyn, NY police officers killed a teenager who pointed a gun. Do crazy stuff win crazy prizes.

Cops shoot teen gunman dead in Brooklyn - NYPOST.com

Undercover cops fatally shot a teenager in Brooklyn last night after he pointed a loaded gun at an officer, police sources and witnesses said.

Kimani Gray, 16, was shot in the leg and stomach when he whipped out a .38-caliber revolver after adjusting the waistband on his pants, said cops.

The two undercover officers, driving a red umarked car, had approached the group of teens because they were acting suspiciously on East 52nd Street near Snyder Street in East Flatbush just before 11:30 p.m.

I hate to say but I have zero sympathy for the kid. If you want to act, at the age of a child, like an adult and take adult risks, then you will have to deal with adult consequences.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Kimani Gray, 16, was shot in the leg and stomach when he whipped out a .38-caliber revolver after adjusting the waistband on his pants, said cops.
    Ya whip it out expect to pay the consequences.
    Taurahe and Spirit51 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Kamani made his own bed, and now he's going to sleep in it for long time.
    He was being a 'tough guy' and pointed his gun at a cop...he paid the price...no sympathy here.

I'll bet that starting tomorrow, he was going to start turning his life around...too late now.
    Maybe his friends will learn something from this...
    Spirit51 and latentcarry like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To quote Deputy Marshall Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones): " I...don't...care"
    Spirit51 and GhostMaker like this.

saa
    The trial will not be lengthy.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Short career

There's plenty more just like him.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Please read the story. Of course the kid was in illegal possession, and of course he did something stupid,
    and the killing was justified, but there is a significant BUT to the story: "the two undercover officers, driving a red umarked car, had approached the group of teens."

Are you so sure that you, even as an adult, would recognize, acknowledge, believe, two strangers
    who popped out of an unmarked red car and demanded something of you? How many here
    would have their hand on their CCW.

From this distance we have absolutely no way to know how this incident actually occurred. How, or even if,
    the officers correctly identified themselves. On the surface the right thing appears to have been done.
    A 16 year old in illegal possession certainly deserved to be arrested. What we don't know is the rest of
    the story. Its the same deal as with that shooting in Austin we discussed in a different thread.

We know only half of the pertinent information and that only from the police side of the story.

How much older than that teen were the officers? How were they dressed--did they
    look just like gang members? What were they required to do to unambiguously demonstrate they were
    the real deal LEOs and not fakers?

Death of a teen who perhaps (wasn't there and don't know) could have been arrested without incident
    if the game was played differently is nothing to celebrate.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Please read the story. Of course the kid was in illegal possession, and of course he did something stupid,
    and the killing was justified, but there is a significant BUT to the story: "the two undercover officers, driving a red umarked car, had approached the group of teens."

Are you so sure that you, even as an adult, would recognize, acknowledge, believe, two strangers
    who popped out of an unmarked red car and demanded something of you? How many here

From this distance we have absolutely no way to know how this incident actually occurred. How, or even if,
    the officers correctly identified themselves. On the surface the right thing appears to have been done.
    A 16 year old in illegal possession certainly deserved to be arrested. What we don't know is the rest of
    the story. Its the same deal as with that shooting in Austin we discussed in a different thread.

We know only half of the pertinent information and that only from the police side of the story.

How much older than that teen were the officers? How were they dressed--did they
    look just like gang members? What were they required to do to unambiguously demonstrate they were

Death of a teen who perhaps (wasn't there and don't know) could have been arrested without incident
    Agreed. I think many police officers are woefully untrained in understanding the situations they can create by their own behavior, which is sometimes difficult to discern from that of random thugs if they aren't careful.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Not much detail, in that news story. Not much known, given the other kids apparently aren't talking yet. With undercover folks, it's hard to know how the kids perceived them when they arrived, unknown what was said. All we've got is: waistband adjusted by the teen, then gun pulled out.

Of course, nothing justifies aggravated assault if unprovoked. Perhaps we'll know more, once the other kids start talking.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

dont pull a gun on cops...its that simple
    Spirit51, Poseidon and msgt/ret like this.
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

You bring up some possibilities, but unless there are witnesses...how do you know? About those witnesses...are they friends of the kid with the gun?...are they fellow cops?...can they be trusted?

I have known many LEOs...from Metro Police Department...small County Sheriff Department...State Highway Patrols...and many in between. From working with them at incident scenes, from parties, from conversations over coffee, kid's birthday parties, funerals and other contacts.

I say that, to say this...There ARE "bad cops"...I will even say I can see Department Corruption being a problem in some places (I haven't seen any in my experience, but I can see the possibility)...BUT the vast majority of people in Law Enforcement are good and honest people who really believe in helping the citizens and trying to make things better for them.

At what point do we trust what they say? It is a given with society as vast and diverse as ours there will be mistakes...there will be people killed when it might have been avoided...unjust legal outcomes. I believe when these mistakes are found they should be dealt with, but at some point some just have to "take one for the team". I also believe that this is a very, VERY small number of cases.

I have a question for you. Do you believe everything your doctor tells you? We know the incident of fatalities from "medical misadventures" is a larger body count than death from gun violence in this country. Do you get a second opinion? How can you trust that one? When does it stop? When you run out of doctors or money. Do you at one point (knowing the majority of doctors are competent) take what they say as fact.

This is true of all occupations and walks of life. I used these two because they are very visible in the public eye.

Until evidence is given that the LEOs lied...I will go with what they say. IF they are found to be lying...then throw the book at them. Weed out any bad ones that are found guilty by evidence (same goes for doctors).

I wrote this to you, but it pertains to several in here that won't believe what the LEOs say....no matter what. Not wanting to start a war....just trying to understand the viewpoint.
    Bark'n, virg, GhostMaker and 2 others like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe his friends will learn something from this...
    Perhaps his hood rat pals will buy holsters and suspenders.
    latentcarry likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    You bring up some possibilities, but unless there are witnesses...how do you know? About those witnesses...are they friends of the kid with the gun?...are they fellow cops?...can they be trusted?

I have known many LEOs...from Metro Police Department...small County Sheriff Department...State Highway Patrols...and many in between. From working with them at incident scenes, from parties, from conversations over coffee, kid's birthday parties, funerals and other contacts.

I say that, to say this...There ARE "bad cops"...I will even say I can see Department Corruption being a problem in some places (I haven't seen any in my experience, but I can see the possibility)...BUT the vast majority of people in Law Enforcement are good and honest people who really believe in helping the citizens and trying to make things better for them.

At what point do we trust what they say? It is a given with society as vast and diverse as ours there will be mistakes...there will be people killed when it might have been avoided...unjust legal outcomes. I believe when these mistakes are found they should be dealt with, but at some point some just have to "take one for the team". I also believe that this is a very, VERY small number of cases.

I have a question for you. Do you believe everything your doctor tells you? We know the incident of fatalities from "medical misadventures" is a larger body count than death from gun violence in this country. Do you get a second opinion? How can you trust that one? When does it stop? When you run out of doctors or money. Do you at one point (knowing the majority of doctors are competent) take what they say as fact.

This is true of all occupations and walks of life. I used these two because they are very visible in the public eye.

Until evidence is given that the LEOs lied...I will go with what they say. IF they are found to be lying...then throw the book at them. Weed out any bad ones that are found guilty by evidence (same goes for doctors).

I wrote this to you, but it pertains to several in here that won't believe what the LEOs say....no matter what. Not wanting to start a war....just trying to understand the viewpoint.
    I'm not replying in Hopyard's defense although I agree with him completely on this one. I don't think all police officers are bad and count a few of them among my friends. They do, however, have a tendency to uphold a code of silence when one of their own actually screws up and coupled with the fact that they are agents of the state with a right to exercise coercive force, leads me to think that everything they say and do should probably be held to a higher standard of inquiry than the average person on the street.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links