Town police shot and killed man with knife last week.

This is a discussion on Town police shot and killed man with knife last week. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now the police are being sued by the family. I have a feeling this might get ugly. My sympathy is with the police. Martinsburg PD ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Town police shot and killed man with knife last week.

Distinguished Member

Town police shot and killed man with knife last week.

Now the police are being sued by the family. I have a feeling this might get ugly. My sympathy is with the police.

Martinsburg PD accused of ?executing? man in last week?s shooting - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

There's a lot more in the article but this is why I think the police had no choice but to do what they did.:

According to a release issued by the Martinsburg Police Department, Jones was stopped by police while walking in the roadway on South Queen Street. He told officers he was carrying a weapon, but would not specify what it was.

Officers ordered Jones to place his hands on the cruiser so the weapon could be removed, according to the release, but Jones refused and became increasingly angry. Officers used a Taser to attempt to gain control of the subject; when it proved ineffective, a second Taser was used.

Jones remained out of police control and fled to a doorway entrance in the 100 block of South Queen Street, according to the release. There, after Jones refused more verbal commands, officers attempted to restrain him using physical force, according to the release.

While officers were attempting to restrain Jones, he pulled out a knife and stabbed an officer in the torso, forcing officers to back off, according to the release. When Jones continued to disobey orders to drop the knife and attempted to get back to his feet, police used their weapons to "fire multiple rounds into the subject, which neutralized the threat," according to the release.

Lambert says he believes Jones didn't pose a threat once on the ground.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

Since he actually used the knife, it's pretty "cut and dry".
    Medic218 likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Another suit that will be either dismissed or lost.
    awoodpd13 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There were five officers involved in the shooting. Bad guy had a knife, Had already stabbed one police officer. Bad guy was shot 15 times. That would be about three rounds fired by officer. Sounds about right to me, based on the info provided. Bad guy was an idiot, a danger to police and society. Sounds like the police needed to stop the threat and did. Case closed.
    surefire7 and awoodpd13 like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

3 rounds per officer is pretty good self restraint on their parts. Don't hear about that too much.
    Ksgunner, awoodpd13 and Ghost1958 like this.

15 rounds for 5 officers does not mean 3 rounds per officer. The police report and investigation will tell. One officer could have done all 15 or it could have been spread out.
    USM1976 and mkh like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

...if tasers were ineffective, maybe he was on dope...at any rate...when the knife hit his hand, I'd have emptied my mag(there's 9 of 15)...there had been way too much resistance to arrest already...if the facts are as presented...good shoot...

WARNING...DISTURBING PICTURES IN LINK...NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH OR THOSE PRONE TO NIGHTMARES

...if you can't see the necessity to shoot down a man who "just has a knife"...gaze at the pictures here for a minute... http://www.hockscqc.com/knife/index.htm ...there's "just a knife" in the real world...
    lionround and USM1976 like this.

Based on the facts as presented, it's about as black and white as a shooting incident can be.
    Snub44 and awoodpd13 like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    WARNING...DISTURBING PICTURES IN LINK...NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH OR THOSE PRONE TO NIGHTMARES

...if you can't see the necessity to shoot down a man who "just has a knife"...gaze at the pictures here for a minute... Knife Combat and Knife Combatives ...there's "just a knife" in the real world...
    I'm not squeamish and those are disturbing. Thanks Snub for the SA reminder.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

...I don't fear a man with a gun...I FEAR a knife, having been cut a coupla times...and an old greyhaired guy who's scared is totally unpredictable...or not...

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post

Snub 44 points to just about the best answer. When I was training in the Military just as the earth was cooling we did a drill with knife vs gun. The instructor was from the former Selous Scouts. He was the scariest person I have ever known from Rhodesia. No matter how prepared we were if you allowed him within 20 feet or so you were dead. He used a magic marker instead of a knife and it was amazing how many marks he could put on you in a very short time. Once within arms reach he would grab you by your belt and hold you in close so you could not get leverage behind your punches. He could track a man in a blowing sand storm amazing training.

Knife = Armed and Dangerous

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I do not consider myself to be squeamish either but the picture of the stuff sticking out of that guy's stomach made me squirm a little bit. Who in their right mind can say that the guy took a knife and stabbed a police officer should not be considered a threat. I also agree if there was 5 officers then 15 shots is not excessive. How can anybody perceive this guy as the victim in all this

...he was trying to turn his life around, donchaknow...

My sympathy to the family and the police, taking of a life is never simple, but based on the facts given, it seems totally justified to me. From the reported actions (taser, attacking police & refusal to follow commands) it does sound like the dead man was not in a normal state of mind, that still does not excuse his actions in my mind. I hope common sense will prevail.
    awoodpd13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    15 rounds for 5 officers does not mean 3 rounds per officer. The police report and investigation will tell. One officer could have done all 15 or it could have been spread out.
    That is correct. I would not be surprised at all to hear that one or even more officers did not fire. I would certianly be surprised if each officer fired three rounds. That was not my point. My point was that the threat had a knife and other means to stop the threat failed. Every officer that could safely fire should have fired rather than accept any more risk from a person that has already demonstrated the will and ability to inflict harm to them.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links