TSA "bomb residue" vs. GSR

This is a discussion on TSA "bomb residue" vs. GSR within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Long story short - flying with the family soon on vacation. Never air traveled with the kids before so I did some research on tips ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By JJVP
  • 5 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 3 Post By commonground

Thread: TSA "bomb residue" vs. GSR

TSA "bomb residue" vs. GSR

Long story short - flying with the family soon on vacation. Never air traveled with the kids before so I did some research on tips for getting through TSA security smoothly at the airport. Read some stories about kids being detained because "bomb residue" was detected.

Further reading revealed about how the TSA swabs people and their stuff to test for this.

Question - could GSR cause a positive result on their swab test?

My son thinks my range bag is the coolest bag ever. I told him he could use it as his carry-on bag for the trip. I'm sure it has GSR all over it.

Leave the range bag at home?

2. Remove Ads

Oops - already a discussion on the same topic:
    TSA Bomb Swabs and Range Bags

Mods may delete - found out what I needed to know, don't bring the bag.

On a school field trip I had one student test positive for bomb residue at John Wayne Airport in Anaheim, CA. The took him aside (just out of the main line so it could continue) and did some more tests but let him through. After his ordeal I asked him what he had done to get picked, and it was the shorts he used, wore, when shooting varmints and other things in the woods behind his house, he probably also had shot fireworks with them too. No biggie and he survived the extra security just fine. They may want to look closer at the bag, but it should be no big deal and add a little excitement to the process of TSA clearance at the airport. By the way we had flown from Oklahoma, through Dallas, through Phoenix on the way to Anaheim, and this happened on the return flight.

I would not use a range bag for air travel. Not because of GSR, but you might never know what you might have missed inside the bag (e.g. bullet casings, live ammo, a gun, etc). I've read stories about people who have done that, and it is not something I want to experience myself.

just my $0.02
    phreddy likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son used to drive TSA nuts when returning home from his Navy reserve duty. Of course, being in EOD one tends to get all kinds of nasty stuff on clothing, etc. when dealing with explosives for training purposes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you were a really cool Dad you'd buy him his own
    commonground and msgt/ret like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    If he were a really cool son, he would buy you a new, better one and take your hand me downs. Course, I don't know how old he is and he may not be buying stuff yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Yeh, I agree with Rock and Glock, buy him his own airline and TSA is no problem. In fact, if you acted as the TSA, you could get a cushy government retirement and free knives you take from the passengers.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

The short answer is no. Before I retired I always travelled armed and carried extra ammo, mags etc in my checked baggage with no issues.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Links