Police Departments Beg And Barter For Ammo

This is a discussion on Police Departments Beg And Barter For Ammo within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Police Departments Beg And Barter For Ammo While DHS Buys Up 1.6 Billion Rounds In Past Year | CNS News So if I carry less, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Police Departments Beg And Barter For Ammo

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Police Departments Beg And Barter For Ammo While DHS Buys Up 1.6 Billion Rounds In Past Year | CNS News

So if I carry less, I will not use as much?

With the delay in ammunition, some departments are limiting the number of rounds they carry in their handgun
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    With the delay in ammunition, some departments are limiting the number of rounds they carry in their handgun

Emmm, I might not carry as much backup ammo but you can bet money that my duty weapon would be fully charged.
    atctimmy, darbo and nedrgr21 like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I call bull hockey pucks. That is either lack of ingenuity, or lack of funds because they burned their funds inefficiently. There is STILL AMMO TO BE HAD. The only caveat is how much are you willing to pay. Yes, people are upcharging BIG TIME. But ammo can still be purchased IN BULK if you have the green to burn $0.80-0.90~ per round. IE 1000 rounds of 223 is going to cost you $1000 or more! One of my coworkers just got an order of a case of 40sw from a fairly well respected reloading manufacturer in less than 2 weeks of placing the order. So there are ways to get ammo and plenty of it. It comes down to what you're willing to pay and/or how creative are you. IE use remanufactured reloads for training and keep the good stuff for patrol/operations etc...
    84160 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    It's also a lack of planning and inventory management. It doesn't make sense to burn rounds on the range when you don't have anything to replace it. Ammo has been in short supply for the past 3 months. Are they just now figuring that out? Government agencies are horrible at managing their own resources.
    miller_man likes this.

Maybe Janet Napolitano can loan them a few.

VIP Member
    LE agencies buy under a state contract, at least in my state, so they get ammo at discounted prices. Yes those supplies are backed up and can be hard to find however as stated seek and ye shall find. There are deals out there usually the more you buy the cheaper it is.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's see. Suppose I'm a ammunition manufacturer, and assuming I can only product "X" amount of ammo in a given period, I can sell it to the DHS for a reduced-profit gov't contract, or I can sell just as much at higher profit to a constantly demanding public sector.

I think I need my rocket scientist thinking cap on this one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not buying it LEO has all the ammo they want , with plenty to spare.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Tacman is correct. My small dept bought a pallet load of ammo for everyone. We thought we'd order more, but they were OUT of ammo.

The good thing is that the prices are frozen for a year or two on that contract.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

...just checked...mine is fine...a little low on TP, but plenty of ammo...

Let them suffer w the rest of us. Many of these departments or their leadership are extremely anti gun and don't believe the citizens should be able to protect themselves...they also know the cops can't protect the citizens so what does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...just checked...mine is fine...a little low on TP, but plenty of ammo...
    Just pick up some brass and use a handfull... its gotta be cleaned before its reloaded anyway.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

...how uncouth...I'll have you know that here in TEXAS we've progressed to electric corn cobs...

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    This is such an accountants view of the world. Do they believe rounds need to rationed to make it to the end of their fiscal year, like other consumables? If so, these police administrators (not leaders) need their collective heads examined....by a proctologist due to their location.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You mean they're having the same problems getting ammo as all of us second class citizens? Pigs must be flying.
    breakingcontact likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links