M-16 / AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types??

This is a discussion on M-16 / AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For all of you combat military folk ... Are both semi-auto and select-fire variants of the M-16 / AR-15 issued to U.S. battlefield forces? Or, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: M-16 / AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types??

M-16 / AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types??

For all of you combat military folk ...

1. Are both semi-auto and select-fire variants of the M-16 / AR-15 issued to U.S. battlefield forces? Or, is it strictly the select-fire version?

2. Are semi-auto M-16 / AR-15's issued to non-combat staff (base guards, drivers, folks in non-combat theaters)?

With all this anti-gunner hype surrounding these so-called "military-style" weapons on the streets of our towns, I was just wondering what's actually true.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Colt
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For all of you combat military folk ...

1. Are both semi-auto and select-fire variants of the AR-15 issued to U.S. battlefield forces? Or, is it strictly the select-fire version?

2. Are semi-auto AR-15's issued to non-combat staff (base guards, drivers, folks in non-combat theaters)?

With all this anti-gunner hyper around these so-called "military-style" weapons on the streets of our towns, I was just wondering what's actually true.
    I was a reservist in the signal corps and was issued a select fire for yearly quals stateside and while in Kuwait/Iraq.

I believe that ALL of the AR type rifles issued by the military are select fire....
    Semi-Auto only for us civilians, unless you know a guy and have $20-25K laying around....I know a guy, but I'm to busy buying other guns to let that kind of money stack up... Do you know how many Colt 1911's you can buy for that amount of money? :)

To my knowledge, being a Vet and all, The Military has never issued AR-15's for combat because they are not select fire. Reason is, The AR-15 is the civillian model of the M-16A2 which is standard military issue and is select fire with 3rnd burst or full auto(Courtesy of requests by USMC)

Keep in mind that the AR-15 "IS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON but, merely an "ASSAULT STYLE" weapon.

Not sure if LEO's are issued M-16's but, it's my opinion and that being if I were an officer of the law, I would want an M-16 full auto in my arsenal with as many 30rnd mags as possible so I can have as good or better firepower than the criminal shooting at me! Just my opinion!!

Quote Originally Posted by Learjetphlyer View Post
    Do you know how many Colt 1911's you can buy for that amount of money? :)
    You can buy enough so that When you start shooting, they will think you have a select-fire AR15 :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Poseidon likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

The M16 Rifle and M4 Carbine variants the Army currently use are select-fire (safe, semi, burst), though I have seen a Vietnam-era M4 in the hands of an Air Force Combat Camera that was full-auto capable (He was quite the envy of the Infantrymen while out on mission with it). They are not, and never were, AR-15s. Non-combat arms usually had the M16 Rifle (A2 or some A4), some had the M4A1 Carbine. The majority of M4s were reserved for the Joe's kickin' in doors, patrolling, and riding in Humvees all day. Not much reason to give an M4 to a Fobbit when a 10-year-old M16 they can't be bothered to clean will do the trick.
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

VIP Member
    Military issues M-16 ( selective fire either 3 shot bursts or full auto) They contract thru companies like Colt, brand could vary if a different branch of the military contracted something specific.

Civilian AR-15 ( semi auto only)

does not mean a civilian can not own one or that an AR-15 Won't show up on a military range.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

The standard combat rifle for all US forces is some variant of the M16 or M4; select fire, meaning SAFE/SEMI/BURST. The Marines held out on the M4 for a while and have more M16 variants than I'm familiar with. Special Operations Forces are often equipped with the M4A1, which is capable of full auto instead of burst. There are other variants, like firing port rifles that have no sights and fire full auto only, but those above are the standard.

The "old" M4s mentioned above were called CAR-15s. The Air Force calls it the GAU-5. These are basically old M16A1s (full auto) with a shorter barrel (I've seen them as short as like 10") and the old style collapsible stock. I think the air force is the only branch still using them. They're not real keen on spending $$$ on "Army" stuff like rifles!

All the M4A1s I was issued were made by Colt originally. Some of the GAU-5s were marked "Armalite."

AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types??

Marine Corps, 1979 through 1982.
    Back in my day, all marines were considered infantry with a "secondary" MOS...no disrespect to the 03 Marines. Mine was 2651, Special Intelligence Communications Operator.
    I, along with everyone else, was armed with a Colt M-16 w/select fire...safety, fire (semi) and full.
    Our side arm was a Colt 1911, 45 cal.

Semper Fi !!

IIRC back during NAM the ARVN and Indigenous Forces (Montagnards) were issued the AR15 without the auto select the reason being that in contact most of the ARVN shot everything but what was shooting at them Trees,Sky,Ground,so they issued them a gun that would allow them a little extra time to waste all their ammo,My Issue gun in the USAF Security Police in 1976 was a Colt AR15 "said so on the Magwell" but was select fire safe/semi/auto
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    The standard combat rifle for all US forces is some variant of the M16 or M4; select fire, meaning SAFE/SEMI/BURST. The Marines held out on the M4 for a while and have more M16 variants than I'm familiar with. Special Operations Forces are often equipped with the M4A1, which is capable of full auto instead of burst. There are other variants, like firing port rifles that have no sights and fire full auto only, but those above are the standard.

The "old" M4s mentioned above were called CAR-15s. The Air Force calls it the GAU-5. These are basically old M16A1s (full auto) with a shorter barrel (I've seen them as short as like 10") and the old style collapsible stock. I think the air force is the only branch still using them. They're not real keen on spending $$$ on "Army" stuff like rifles!

This!

By the way, I went to La Vista Jr. High and graduated from Papillion! I lived near the corner of 72nd and Harrison...
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

I have seen nothing but Colt M4 Carbines issued to regular troops. All select fire. The special tactic squadrons ive worked with all had HK416's. Obviously select fire as well.

We had Colts. But I swear we had FN at one point too.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post
    We had Colts. But I swear we had FN at one point too.
    FN has at times provided lowers if I recall.

I also recall reading that they've been awarded a contract for M4s, but I don't have a source readily available...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links