The time to head home has come

This is a discussion on The time to head home has come within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well the time has come for our Firebase in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan to shut down and redeploy to another site. This stretch ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: The time to head home has come

VIP Member

Well the time has come for our Firebase in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan to shut down and redeploy to another site. This stretch has been a very long 10 months and I am ready for a break I am tired and my body is telling me it is time to soak in a hot tub somewhere.

I have been able to fire in excess of 8000 rounds of 9mm, untold amounts of 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 and fire ordnance you only dream about much of that in the last two weeks. I have been able to train others and been trained myself by some of the best military operators from the US Army Special Forces and NSW unit.

In my younger days I took the Army National Guards offer to go to nursing school and besides making a living at it in the states on occasion the skills that I acquired came in handy over here also. I am not sure how many from July to Sept with the other team but from Sept 2012 until today with this team we, the SF Medics, Army Medic and myself have seen over 100 Afghan Military, Police and civilian patients and completed 62 medevacs. We have treated everything from Malaria, flu, broken bones, amputations, diseases that have been eliminated in other parts of the world to gunshots wounds of every shape and origin. The youngest patient was a 6 month old little girl in respiratory distress to a 60 something year old goat and camel herder who lost both legs AKA and his right hand after picking up unexploded ordnance to sell and everything in between.

The little girl did not make it, after working on her for hours she took her last breath while I once giving her an updraft treatment. Within 30 seconds of her passing the father had her prepared for her burial and asked for a gatorade to drink on the way home. I am not saying anything bad about the father it is simply a fact of life here and death is an everyday thing.
    I saw the triple amputee 7 weeks later when he was brought to us from about 12 klicks out in a wheelbarrow by his relative. The doctors at the next level did a fantastic job, his wounds were healing and we were able to get him a wheelchair so he was content.

I have been fortunate here to be able to complete procedures that an ER doctor only gets to read about. We have a pretty good record here. Out of all our patients I think we lost four. It is strange, you treat people with horrific injuries, get cleaned up and head to chow without a second thought. My faith, family and friends have allowed me to deal with it all. Some folks here on the forum and I communicate regularly on Skype or Yahoo and it means a lot.
    Often times I was the medical provider for the camp depending on what mission everyone was on at that time. The best part is it is not even part of my job description. Small camps all work as a team there is nothing like it.

On April 15th of this year will mark 7 continuous years I have been a contractor. I started in this same province in 2006 with the DoS training the Afghan Police. I have survived rockets, mortars, IED's, being on the receiving end of some pretty damn accurate gunfire and some pretty wild helicopter rides. As I pack up please keep me and all of us in your thoughts and prayers as we head our separate ways. This will be the most dangerous time of the deployment.

I have a couple of stops to make to organize storage of weapons and equipment then on to Kandahar, Dubai, and home. Hopefully if all goes well I will be home by the end of the week.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Rest well, you deserve it and thanks for your service. U.S.A.F (Retired), here.

Safe travels.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Thank you for your service, and for sharing your story.

I can't imagine how rewarding your work must be.

Get home safely, and enjoy a well-deserved break.

Stay safe it seems that when you get "Short" the risks seem to increase
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thank you for your service and dedication. Yes, be very careful on your return.

Former USAF Viet Nam
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Distinguished Member
    Great post. Thank you for sharing some great insight and doing things most could not even imagine. Thoughts and prayers sent, get home safe, get home soon!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Thank you for your service and all you've done. Stay safe, you and your buddys are in my prayers for a smooth transition.

You've had some fascinating times and experiences, you should write a book.
    84160 and msgt/ret like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

happy trails
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

saa
    My prayers are with you and I wish you safe travel and a wonderful return home.

Thank you, sincerely, for your service and dedication. It is truly appreciated. We, here at home, often forget about the freedoms and liberties that we have. We often take for granted the fact that freedom - is not free. And we often forget to say Thank You, enough.

Godspeed, my friend. You have served your Country and yourself well. Let us know upon your safe return.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Stay safe, it aint over 'til it's over. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thank you for serving, stay safe....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Congrats to a successful tour and welcome home soon!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Be safe Bro. That Burger, Hotdog, steak is waiting for you...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Wow, thanks for your service

Stay Safe
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links