LEO & Infantry soldier with my 1911

This is a discussion on LEO & Infantry soldier with my 1911 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tonight our academy class was on Building Clearing. Had good training, but one incident really stood out to me. The instructors had NOT told us ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: LEO & Infantry soldier with my 1911

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Tonight our academy class was on Building Clearing. Had good training, but one incident really stood out to me. The instructors had NOT told us to bring flashlights or weapons to the class (held in a middle school), but they didn't bring any plastic guns, so they asked us if any of us had brought a gun and or flashlight. So I went out to my truck, pulled my 1911 out of the locked gun safe, ensured that it was indeed unloaded and grabbed my flashlight that I keep in my truck.

I brought the pistol to one of the instructors so he could check that it was cleared, and he couldn't pull the slide back (the safety was engaged). The same thing happened with one of the other students who is an Infantryman, with a couple of tours in Afghanistan and Iraq who wanted to see my pistol.

I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs (flame proof suit is ON)
    darbo, dV8r and QKShooter like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Or maybe it reinforces that you're an antiquarian...

Not really. Good on your for relying on a classic gun that just flat-out works.
    OD* and dV8r like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class
    A 1911 with a rail is like a.... well heck I can't come up with a good example. It's like something old and classy with something new and ugly added on. The rail makes it vulgar.

I still think they are cool though.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs (flame proof suit is ON)
    LOL. Don't forget us vulgar Walther plebians.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Those two must have been brought up on Glocks
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

No flame from this end. I hate having to come to work everyday and put on that plastic gun. Even though the polymer guns are wonderfully functional, they just don't do it for me anymore.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thats one reason I don't like LEO's disarming people and trying to clear a gun they have no training on.
    dV8r, StevePVB, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The 1911 is a thing of beauty. It is my favorite pistol. But I carry a Glock. Somehow that makes me a little sad. But I'm glad there are folks like you out there Chaplin. Restores a little balance to the world.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Tonight our academy class was on Building Clearing. Had good training, but one incident really stood out to me. The instructors had NOT told us to bring flashlights or weapons to the class (held in a middle school), but they didn't bring any plastic guns, so they asked us if any of us had brought a gun and or flashlight. So I went out to my truck, pulled my 1911 out of the locked gun safe, ensured that it was indeed unloaded and grabbed my flashlight that I keep in my truck.

I brought the pistol to one of the instructors so he could check that it was cleared, and he couldn't pull the slide back (the safety was engaged). The same thing happened with one of the other students who is an Infantryman, with a couple of tours in Afghanistan and Iraq who wanted to see my pistol.

I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs (flame proof suit is ON)
    Probably just as well they couldn't work it, they probably would have let the slide slam closed on the empty chamber! Had TSA do that to mine once years ago.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Since the LEOs and infantry long ago abandoned the 1911, are you surprised they stumbled over the locked slide? Familiarity breeds contempt; non-familiarity breeds ????
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Probably just as well they couldn't work it, they probably would have let the slide slam closed on the empty chamber! Had TSA do that to mine once years ago.
    Letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber is actually a step in a proper function check of the sear engagement on the 1911. While it shouldn't be done often, it won't hurt every once and awhile.

Letting the slide slam home on a chambered round is what messes up the extractor.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    What's wrong with that? I've never heard that this is an issue. Educate me someone, please!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

1911......The "Fist Of God".
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    1911......The "Fist Of God".
    The blued-steel Colt
    The new steel Colt
    She runs to stunts erratic
    For she's a darn
    Tough arm to learn
    This Army automatic.
    Yet when you get to know this arm
    and how to coax and pet her,
    She'll do her duty like a charm
    No Gun will serve you better
    She'll stick right closely by your side
    And as the fight grows hotter
    And you are caught in battle's tide--
    You'll thank your stars you've got her.

The lusty Colt, The trusty Colt,
    The weapon democratic,
    Whose vicious might
    Makes men one height--
    The Army automatic.

~Songs of the Training Camps (WWI)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Since the LEOs and infantry long ago abandoned the 1911, are you surprised they stumbled over the locked slide? Familiarity breeds contempt; non-familiarity breeds ????
    Yeah--actually I was surprised a bit---I figured that for a 10 year infantry vet (with at least 2 combat tours) and a full-time LEO, that weapons are part of the job, and while 1911s are not issued, I at least figured that they were common enough that they would, at a minimum, have handled one enough to be able to take the safety off and check the chamber
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links