The Great DHS Ammunition Stockpile Myth

This is a discussion on The Great DHS Ammunition Stockpile Myth within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are dozens of articles hyping government purchases of ammunition over the last nine months. After spending weeks researching this topic, this is a collection ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Great DHS Ammunition Stockpile Myth

The Great DHS Ammunition Stockpile Myth

There are dozens of articles hyping government purchases of ammunition over the last nine months. After spending weeks researching this topic, this is a collection of commonly held myths that are based more on panic than fact.
    MYTH: Then why canít I find ammo? Whatís causing the shortage?

FACT: Weíre causing the shortage. As an employee for a major firearms retailer, I can testify we receive shipments of the three highest demand calibers (9mm, .22 LR, and .223 Rem/5.56 NATO) at least 3-5 times weekly and in quantities far exceeding our normal shipments. We see as many as 1,000 boxes of ammunition disappear in as little as four hours.

People are responding to the unknown with fear and hoarding of ammunition. Manufacturers are replenishing the shelves, but the civilian market is buying it too fast due to warranted (and unwarranted) concerns. Donít believe me? Ask your dealers, or wait at a local Wal-Mart.
    A little debunking from over at Breitbart.com

2. Remove Ads

Yeah well. Until people stop running off with the ammo and selling it on gunbroker or armslist for triple the amount they paid or more. And those people that are buying it stop, we will never be out of the woods on this "ammo shortage"

But people love a good conspiracy theory. It seems anything that can be fabricated to maintain the fear level is quickly latched on to by the gun community. Even on this site there are plenty of people who will say..."I'm buying all the ammo I can while I still can." Panic stricken sheep running with the herd.
    Sig 210 and Hopyard like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    Yeah well. Until people stop running off with the ammo and selling it on gunbroker or armslist for triple the amount they paid or more. And those people that are buying it stop, we will never be out of the woods on this "ammo shortage"
    It could be argued that those pushing "triple-price" products are themselves helping to cap the buying behavior of potential purchasers. Stuff only sells if there are buyers at such prices. But the majority won't pay such prices for that item, at least so long as there are alternatives. And there are alternatives, though they go fast.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    But people love a good conspiracy theory. It seems anything that can be fabricated to maintain the fear level is quickly latched on to by the gun community. Even on this site there are plenty of people who will say..."I'm buying all the ammo I can while I still can." Panic stricken sheep running with the herd.
    "All the ammo I can" is a small number. I'm not buying out of panic. I'm buying because it is rare that I can just pick up what I want. If I find it I buy it.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Seriously folks you didn't see any of this coming??

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    "All the ammo I can" is a small number. I'm not buying out of panic. I'm buying because it is rare that I can just pick up what I want. If I find it I buy it.
    ^^^ this ^^^

I keep watching at gun shows (yeah, I like to go and look). If I see something I want, I buy it, if it's at a fair price. All I have seen, lately is lead .22lr at $50 - $90 a brick. Needless to say, I usually leave empty handed, but glad to have gotten out of the house for a while. The only self-defense 9mm I have been seeing is 115gr at $35/box of 20.

Last show I attended, I saw pallets of .223 being offered by the case, but saw almost no one actually buying it. Since I do not have that platform, I never checked the pricing.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    I dont care what anyone has to say about it. It is what it is.

I mean really.
    The Obamanites are blaming it on us. The gunpeople are blaming it on Obama.

Heres a fact...

You can't get .22. Or 9mm. Or .223. Or lots of other common calibers.

Who here would have thought that the common .22 would be going so fast or at such crazy prices? Wheo would have thought that old men would have been sitting around in gunshops waiting for the UPS or FedEx man to bring in boxes of ammo. Who would have thought that Walmart would limit .22 to one box per customer?

Yesterday we had a grand opening of a Atwoods here in town. At a limit of one 500 round box per customer, 3000 boxes of .22 were gone in less than 4 hours. I got several calls from people informing me that if I wanted some,I needed to get there fast. I didnt get there fast enough and it was gone.

Here is another fact that seems to be absent from the minds of Obamanites and antis.. The ammo factorys are pumping ammo out at full capacity...and still it is hard to get.
    Instead of laying blame on someone, it would behoove one to think about why we are in this situation and sufficiently prepare.

And that aint no conspiracy theory.
    JDE101, airslot, 640girl and 7 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I sometimes think democrates have stock in gun and ammo companies. A money making venture on their part. And work their evil at the same time to disarm us all.
    84160 likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I believe it is getting a bit better. I have been able to find small inconsistent lots of what I needed recently where there was nothing for weeks and weeks. LGS had 22LR in 100 packs this week and I went in and bought a 250 megapack of UMC 9mm today. had 40 and 45 too, bought same thing in 380 last week. I'm not shooting as much of any particular caliber but I am shooting as much as I want of several different calibers.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Everyone knows the DHS never bought any ammo ,they did not really order 7000 AR15 it was all a lie on fox news, Obama does not want to take your guns. The will never pass any of those bans. Back to sleep everyone.
    84160 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    It is called the Law of Supply and Demand! If idiots are willing to pay those pricing mark ups then so be it! I don't know of anyone involved in a armed conflict running out of ammo! The PD I'm consulting for is now only issuing JHP rounds once a year instead of twice a year. Were they are hurting is practice ammunition. Who in there right mind over pays for FMJ to practice with?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I was in the new Cabela's in Columbus today, talking to the guy who works the ammo department. He told me they are getting regular, frequent shipments of ammo, no problem, but it is flying off the shelves at jacked up prices as soon as they put it out. They have doubled the price of just about everything, but still...
    Handguns are slightly more plentiful than a few weeks ago, but at vastly inflated prices. $569 for the M&P I paid $479 for a in January. Lots of police turn-in Glocks, starting at $549.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member

^My take on this matter^^^^^^^^^^

Is that now we have all the Obama supporters who were SO CERTAIN that he wasn't coming for the guns, and put him back in for a second term, and now they are realizing that they Boo-Booed in a monumental way, and are now arming up in droves.
    84160 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    If the hoarding by the people truly is the reason, the elected leadership would be wise to back off the liberal agenda. I fear to do otherwise will result in the pot boiling over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links