law question

law question

This is a discussion on law question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted some advice from police officers. I have a case for my ar-15, ...

Thread: law question

law question

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted some advice from police officers.

I have a case for my ar-15, the rifle breaks down in two, and there is a magazine pouch on the front. Now, I keep all my magazines loaded at home. If I were to place them in the front portion of the case (loaded), and place the rifle in the case itself (upper and lower separated), and put them in my trunk, would the ammunition be considered "in arms reach"? Would I be in violation of the law transporting my rifle in this manner?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted some advice from police officers.

I have a case for my ar-15, the rifle breaks down in two, and there is a magazine pouch on the front. Now, I keep all my magazines loaded at home. If I were to place them in the front portion of the case (loaded), and place the rifle in the case itself (upper and lower separated), and put them in my trunk, would the ammunition be considered "in arms reach"? Would I be in violation of the law transporting my rifle in this manner?
    I don't quite understand what you are asking. Is this about WI law regarding the way a rifle may
    or may not be carried in your truck, or is this about transport of the rifle across state boundaries.

If it is in the trunk is that not by definition out of arms reach?

Safest thing is obviously to separate the gun from the ammo and have the ammo in a locked box, but
    I'm not really quite understanding the question and concern.

Are you talking about WI hunting/game laws?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Inside a conventional trunk would not be considered within arms reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Just WI laws for back and forth to the range. If I were to cross state lines I would follow Federal law, and more than likely not even travel with ammo.

right yoda, but is it illegal to transport a long gun and ammunition together in the same case if it is in the trunk in the state of Wisconsin?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Just WI laws for back and forth to the range. If I were to cross state lines I would follow Federal law, and more than likely not even travel with ammo.
    You can certainly travel interstate with ammo. Google FOPA.
    As for what you can do in WI, I've no idea because sometimes the Hunting laws intrude on
    and restrict how a gun may be carried even if it otherwise is perfectly OK; that is, what's good most of the
    year isn't good during deer season.

I'm sure someone from WI will chime in.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I know. But honestly I would not bring my stockpile of .223 if I was travelling out of state with my rifle. You can always just buy some when you get to the relatives or whatever (normally).

You should check out http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/all...cw/ccw-faq.pdf, specifically pages 44 and 45 (Wis. Stat. 167.31(2)(a), (b)) about transporting long guns. I'm not a LEO, but when I transport a rifle I keep the unloaded rifle in a closed case in the back of the vehicle, and mags / ammo in a zipped range bag in the same area, but both out of arms reach. I've never been stopped while doing this, but I would have to believe that it would be clear enough that the rifle was unloaded, encased, and out of reach so I'm not concerned. If you have your rifled broken down further that can only help, but it would seem unnecessary.

Here's related to the Federal Transportation of Firearms, and all states that I know of follow this..... however in states like New York and Illinois, who think otherwise I would be careful about it.

NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation
    Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yea we don't have any laws in wisconsin that supersede fopa. I always took locked out of reach to mean that the ammo and gun had to be out of reach of each other, not locked out of reach from driver and passengers. So you're golden if the stuff is in the trunk I assume.

Sponsored Links