Apple's iMessage is the DEA's worst nightmare

This is a discussion on Apple's iMessage is the DEA's worst nightmare within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apple's iMessage is the DEA's worst nightmare - Apr. 7, 2013 Not mention anywhere of a warrant....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Apple's iMessage is the DEA's worst nightmare

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Would like to believe we have a leg up on them, but who really knows if it is true?
    "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Gerry
    Ft Collins

Few things...

Once a warrant is obtained, text messages can be read by law enforcement. If Apple's messages are encrypted, its only a matter of time (and probably not much time) before it can be decoded. So its neat, but temporary im sure. I would be surprised if the encryption hasnt been decoded already.

It's neat to have a secure (or at least you THINK it is) transmission, but Apple isnt for me. I see too many knit-hat-in-the-summer wearing hippies, complete with hemp flip flops, reading about global warming on their iPads, sitting at the tiny lunch table in the corner of the organic grocery store.... Never mind....I digress. I mean no disrespect to hippies or hemp sandals. Droid wins for me

correct me if Im wrong, but if law enforcement has a warrant, doesnt apple have to decode any messages they want to read anyhow?
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael57231 View Post
    correct me if Im wrong, but if law enforcement has a warrant, doesnt apple have to decode any messages they want to read anyhow?
    It is my understanding that that law applies to ISPs; Apple isn't an ISP. Somewhere I read that they lack
    the ability to decrypt these messages because this particular use of the system wasn't anticipated. In short,
    the news story I read said they created this by trying to do something else. Who knows. I sure don't.
    It could all be a huge disinformation story to get the BGs of the world to use Apple and thus share all their
    secrets.

As for Uncle's capability to decode anything, much as I'd like to believe it, fact is Uncle can't protect
    itself from hackers; or at least that's what some news stories say several times a week. CHina, did this.
    Anonymous did that, etc.
    Naufragia likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As for Uncle's capability to decode anything, much as I'd like to believe it, fact is Uncle can't protect
    itself from hackers; or at least that's what some news stories say several times a week. CHina, did this.
    Anonymous did that, etc.
    Very true.

Apple isn't the only one with DEA issues. NEXTEL's phone and text systems were a bear to intercept and criminals soon found that out especially in South Florida and on the US/Mexico Borders. The only way to decode the data was in a SPA that Nextel set-up in Reston Va. for the guvment. The program to decode the data would only run for 30 seconds, then it had to be restarted. It was written by a Motorola Employee to do QC checks on the iDEN system. When the Guvment came knocking, Nextel pointed them to the room and the data connection for the warrant. The BG's were buying phones by the dozen and using them for 1-3 days then dunking them into the sea water. I can only imagine that the issue is only worse now as the warrant has to be tied to a specific IMEI and Cell number. Yes, I help build and started the Nextel system and have just left in retirement. It is slated to go dark in 2 months. So much for the only Cell system that was encrypted in each phone and only decrypted in the one talked to. Quite a system of security. Me, I use Motorola Astro Saber III's with DES-XL Encryption.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

They shouldn't be snooping anyway. IMO, anything products companies can do to ensure iron-clad security is a good thing.

Got a problem? Get a warrant, identifying the specific person, place and thing(s) to be searched. Got an inability to "crack" into secure spots? Bummer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links