Defensive Carry banner

What is their legacy?

758 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  GhostMaker 
#1 ·
Say a prayer of thanks for their generation; almost all of them are gone now. Just regular guys and gals, they were proud of the fact that their sacrifice actually made a difference. The world is less for their passing the torch of liberty to us. Somehow I can't help but feel we have let them down.

Opinion: A final toast for the Doolittle Raiders - CNN.com

#9 · (Edited)
My father was career Air Force officer ('43 - '69)...he started out as a fighter pilot (P-47s) and retired as a Major and the head of an electronic training squadron at Keesler AFB, Miss.

Our family was stationed at Eglin AFB from 1956 to 1960 when he was a controller there. He remembers walking the runway where Dolittle and his pilots trained for short runway take-offs (simulated aircraft carriers)...the markings were still on the runway at the time.

#3 ·
I was stationed with Col. Jimmy's (then Lt Gen.) grandson in the 70's. Never met Col. Jimmy, but his grandson was fearless. I don't think the apple fell far from the tree. Gods Speed to the Raiders.

#4 ·
I remember someone sending me a set of pictures of the raid by email. They were taken aboard the carrier shortly before and during the launch. Included were group pictures of each B-25's crew. It had all of the names of each crewmember.
Unfortunately, I have lost them. They may still be searchable.

#5 ·
What is their legacy?

There legacy was a great one its just a shame how far the country has went downhill since the end of WWII......

From the article:
Do the men ever wonder if those of us for whom they helped save the country have tended to it in a way that is worthy of their sacrifice?

#6 ·
Wow! Quite a story, I had never heard of them prior to reading this...thanks for the post.:hans9:

#8 ·
A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to listen to Cole (Doolittle's Copilot) and one of the enlisted crewmembers (Sorry, can't recall his name). Both "Raiders," although near deaf after all the years, had absolute recall of the events leading up to and throughout the execution of that mission.

What amazed me about both men was their attitutes toward their mission. While fully accepting the impact and importance of their mission, both agreed their risks were no higher and probably less than the many, many misssions that others flew throughout the rest of the war. It came down to what most WWII Vets had to say about their roles in the war: "We have a job to do and we did it."

:usa:

#10 ·
I render a respectfully salute, and give a hearty "hoorah", from an old warhorse Army Sgt.

Thanks to the generation whose shoulders we stand upon, because they stood their ground when others could not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.