Arrested and charged with "rudely displaying a rifle"?

This is a discussion on Arrested and charged with "rudely displaying a rifle"? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It just keeps getting crazier and crazier: "A decorated war veteran on a Boy Scout hike with his 15-year-old son was arrested alongside a Texas ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Arrested and charged with "rudely displaying a rifle"?

VIP Member

Arrested and charged with "rudely displaying a rifle"?

It just keeps getting crazier and crazier:

"A decorated war veteran on a Boy Scout hike with his 15-year-old son was arrested alongside a Texas country road after a police officer accused him of “rudely displaying” a firearm.

Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham told Fox News he was illegally disarmed by members of the Temple Police Dept. – even though he held the proper permits to carry his weapons."

War Veteran Arrested for ?Rudely Displaying? Rifle | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

"Rudely display" a rifle. Or, walking along in cougar country carrying a rifle, in which the rifle happened to be one of the "evil black" ones and fair game because of it.

Charges were dropped, but then he's charged with interfering with LE. Sounds like BS, proof the original claims weren't justifiable.

But then, we weren't there and didn't see whatever it is the LE/witnesses claimed to have seen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

mkh
    This is going to get very interesting and costly for Tempe Police.

So much for Texas looking out for our rights lol

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    So, heh heh... it would have been fine if he'd just been displaying a rifle, as long as the police didn't think he was doing so rudely?
    Hakkaa päälle!

Won't comment until I see the entire video. The guy seems to be some sort of gun rights activist and similar videos are all over YouTube. From what I saw: there was clear rights violations but we saw only what the presenter wanted us to see and the video from the officers may show a very different encounter.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Rudely" is such a vague and subjective term that I doubt it would hold up to any constitutional challenge.
    Jeanlouise, Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Jean Louise, What permits?

If outside Temple city limits, there are some interesting critters in the fields and woods. Carrying might be a fairly prudent thing.
    If inside Temple limits, who knows what local rules they might have, and if any apply to their so called extraterritorial jurisdiction which extends out 5 miles from the city boundaries.

Will be interesting to see what this really is all about and the outcome.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't know, just quoting from the article.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

...what's this about jurisdiction 5 miles out??? can you cite this law??? never heard of it before...

...searching Temple ordinances...haven't found any "rudely displaying" law...I think a lawyer's gonna have a ball with this one...

...the handling of the son and telling him he wasn't getting out of the squad car till he answered some questions...may be a whole nother issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

If outside Temple city limits, there are some interesting critters in the fields and woods. Carrying might be a fairly prudent thing.
    If inside Temple limits, who knows what local rules they might have, and if any apply to their so called extraterritorial jurisdiction which extends out 5 miles from the city boundaries.

Will be interesting to see what this really is all about and the outcome.
    Aceoky likes this.

I am looking into my 'crystal ball', and I see the Temple Police Department being made to 'rudely' display (and hand over) lots of CASH.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...what's this about jurisdiction 5 miles out??? can you cite this law??? never heard of it before...

...searching Temple ordinances...haven't found any "rudely displaying" law...I think a lawyer's gonna have a ball with this one...
    In Ga there are "reciprocal agreements" that allow LEO to step in when they see an issue and there is no jurisdictional LEO available. I'm sure that there is a similar provision in most jurisdictions. While this is on the far end of the spectrum as far as Officer behavior goes; in Ga all they would have to do is say that a person was in the city limits and they were searching for them when they saw the suspicious person outside the city limits. There would be no question as to jusrisdiction.

Same as a multi-jurisdictional chase: involved officers would continue into other jurisdictions with the cooperation of the jurisdictional law enforcement until they arrived at the scene.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

...that's called close pursuit...that I'm familiar with...

...what I don't understand, is, if he was outside the city limits to begin with, what jurisdiction do city officers may have to answer "calls"...
    ...and the "charge" of rudely displaying seems to be bogus...still searching...
    carracer likes this.

Sorry, I lived there and the cops do anything they want with a bold big TEXAS screw you attitude. I'm watching this cop unholster the 45 and lift it over the man's head and shoulders sweeping him. This is exactly why I don't trust someone with 10 hours a year of training to unholster and handle my gun when he can't even handle one safely. By the way how can you rudely display an AR-15 when it's clearly hanging around the neck on a sling? You also hear one cop clearly say just having the gun means you are dangerous. Just listened to the cops very closely, they are clearly wrong in what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Rudely" is such a vague and subjective term that I doubt it would hold up to any constitutional challenge.
    And I'd highly doubt "rude" display is what's in the statutes. More like, Criminal Menacing (which requires deliberate action/intent to intimidate). Unless they're capable of providing substantive details for justifying such a claim, this smells like a power-hungry MWAG shake-down.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links