Boston Bombers Citizenship?

This is a discussion on Boston Bombers Citizenship? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to a quick internet search I did, it was reported that both of the bombers were naturalized citizen of the US. Report: Boston bomber ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Boston Bombers Citizenship?

Distinguished Member

Boston Bombers Citizenship?

According to a quick internet search I did, it was reported that both of the bombers were naturalized citizen of the US.
    Report: Boston bomber became American citizen on Sep 11, 2012 in Boston | Creeping Sharia

If it is in fact true that they are US citizens, it concerns me that the government wants to declare him a enemy combatant and strip him of his rights afforded to him under our Constitution so quickly. Regardless of how bad the crime was, the US Government better have all its ducks in a row and have some serious information to support that they were working with an international terrorist organization before they start stripping rights away? If they don't have that info, he should be treated the same as OK bomber was. Am I being paranoid or no?
    Tzadik and diver1102 like this.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

IMO he is an enemy of the state. He should be dealt with as an enemy combatant. They should have done the same with McVeigh.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    IMO he is an enemy of the state. He should be dealt with as an enemy combatant. They should have done the same with McVeigh.
    Yeah, and soon speaking out against the government can be construed as being an enemy of the state. What about Yeager and his comments? Could the be construed as theats to an established governement and if so wouldn't he be tried as an enemey combatant.

Sorry Harry, dumb idea all around. We want enemies then we need to declare war on those enemies, not some concept.
    Darrow75, shooterX and Hopyard like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Someone who knifes granny at the corner store during a robbery is merely a garden-variety felon, but one who blows up a couple more is an "enemy combatant" on a battlefield? I don't think that holds water as a definition, by any standard.

Had these been infiltrators into the country, that's one thing. Had these been affiliated "sleepers" of a foreign government, that's one thing.

But if citizens and merely gone off the rails, they're little different IMO than any other murderous perpetrator who decided to go down Psychopath Avenue with a full head of steam. Let 'em pay for counsel, let 'em claim to be innocent if they prefer, then if convicted light the gas and toss in a match. They seem to pray to the fire gods; so, let 'em meet the fire gods firsthand.
    Alex_C and Hopyard like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yeah, and soon speaking out against the government can be construed as being an enemy of the state. What about Yeager and his comments? Could the be construed as theats to an established governement and if so wouldn't he be tried as an enemey combatant.

Sorry Harry, dumb idea all around. We want enemies then we need to declare war on those enemies, not some concept.
    I think your right I might have let my emotion get the better of me. After some further thought we would all be considered enemy combatants for bad mouthing the government.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Senators McCain and Graham are dolts - straight up. The Constitution guarantees US citizens a speedy trial if they do something illegal. It does not parse words and intimate that if what you do is bad past a certain degree that you can't have a trial or your trial can be indefinately delayed, it says you can have a speedy trial, period.

Senior senators calling for the abrogation of the Constitution and laying aside a person's constitutionally-guaranteed right to a speedy trial is no different than other senior senators calling for the termination of 2A rights for a different group of folks. In both cases, the senators are espousing ignoring the plain text of the Constitution. As patriots, we cannot allow that to happen in either case.

Now, if the bomber is found guilty in his Constitutionally-guaranteed trial, I have no problem with a public hanging and leaving his corpse hanging to rot and be pecked by the birds. No, I do not think this is cruel and unusual punishment as a corpse has no rights that are protected by the Constitution.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Good ole emotional Harry............

Yes my friend that is a slippery slope. They were US citizens, committing a crime on American soil and should be treated as the criminal he is. I see assigning the status of "enemy combatant" troublesome on several levels.

1. It legitimizes what they did as an act of war.
    2. It allows the US to hold him for as long as they want without due process.

That is a scary thought where they can arbitrarily hold you in a detention facility as long as they want to. Sounds a little too much like communism/fascism to me.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Dead guy was not a citizen.

Guy in custody is a U.S. citizen.

In this country, when a citizen is arrested, we read them the Miranda rights.

Rights are applied equally to all citizens.
    jackson85746 and 40Bob like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Dead guy was not a citizen.

Guy in custody is a U.S. citizen.

In this country, when a citizen is arrested, we read them the Miranda rights.

Rights are applied equally to all citizens.
    Not if that citizen is deemed a national security risk to an immediate threat, then they have 48 hours to question him before he must be afforded legal representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Administrator
    They made a voluntary confession that they were the Marathon bombers to the driver of the car that they hijacked.
    Once declared "enemy combatants" they lose the rights afforded by citizenship.

And aside from that the older, scumbag, Brother should have been deported back when he was found guilty on that past Domestic Violence charge.

The younger murderer, terrorist, enemy combatant, needs to be water-boarded as a Get Well present.
    msgt/ret, OD* and Rock and Glock like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post

If it is in fact true that they are US citizens, it concerns me that the government wants to declare him a enemy combatant and strip him of his rights afforded to him under our Constitution so quickly.
    Welcome to the Patriot Act...... Since we do have such an act(not condoned by me) why won't they use it on gangs, which are terrorists.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They made a voluntary confession that they were the Marathon bombers to the driver of the car that they hijacked.
    Once declared "enemy combatants" they lose the rights afforded by citizenship.

And aside from that the older, scumbag, Brother should have been deported back when he was found guilty on that past Domestic Violence charge.

The younger murderer, terrorist, enemy combatant, needs to be water-boarded as a Get Well present.
    I thought an "enemy combatant" is a member of the armed forces of the state with which your state is at war with.

Who declares that a citizen is no longer a citizen and is now considered an "enemy combatant"?

Who gets to decide which citizens lose their rights and when they lose them?

Is this citizen who was captured a member of the armed forces of some state we are at war with?
    Darrow75 and 40Bob like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I thought an "enemy combatant" is a member of the armed forces of the state with which your state is at war with.

Who declares that a citizen is no longer a citizen and is now considered an "enemy combatant"?

Who gets to decide which citizens lose their rights and when they lose them?
    I'm sure whomever in the government determines it's in the best interests of the government to do so. In practice, likely it's based on whim (such as with "rendition" and the like).

One would think there has to be some sort of code or statue authorizing such classifications. Does anyone know what that is, specifically (USC, CFR, whatever)?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't have much of an issue with catagorizing him as an enemy combatant in this case. First of all, it's always done on a case by case basis, so there is going to be thoughtful consideration in making that determination.

Secondly, he's only been a US citizen for exactly 7 months. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't have that much skin in the game, in regards to being an American.

Also, along those same lines, my son-in-law just got his citizenship in March of 2012. And spent over 12 years jumping through hoops. If you're a caucasion from Europe with a skilled trade craft (master cabinetmaker), it takes much longer and more hoops to get your citizenship than if you are of any type of latino or hispanic decent. (What's up with that?) I also know a Canadian immigrant and a UK immigrant who has basically confirmed that as well. Seems like kind of a reverse discrimination going on but that's not the point. What is important is that my son-in-law was told, just because he took the oath and was sworn in, he could still have his citizenship revoked if he screwed up bad enough. They didn't elaborate on the type of screw-up, and how long they could do that to a person, but in the case of the Boston Bomber, I would have no problem if the government revokes his citizenship.

Basically, I don't care what they do to him. The man's a terrorist and murderer. If the government has an established and legal procedure, or vehicle which gives them the authority to deny him certain rights during his trial, revoke his citizenship, or stick him with a military tribunal, then so be it. And apparently they do have such a mechanism in place within the US Code which allows them to do it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't have much of an issue with catagorizing him as an enemy combatant in this case. First of all, it's always done on a case by case basis, so there is going to be thoughtful consideration in making that determination.

Secondly, he's only been a US citizen for exactly 7 months. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't have that much skin in the game, in regards to being an American.

Also, along those same lines, my son-in-law just got his citizenship in March of 2012. And spent over 12 years jumping through hoops. If you're a caucasion from Europe with a skilled trade craft (master cabinetmaker), it takes much longer and more hoops to get your citizenship than if you are of any type of latino or hispanic decent. (What's up with that?) I also know a Canadian immigrant and a UK immigrant who has basically confirmed that as well. Seems like kind of a reverse discrimination going on but that's not the point. What is important is that my son-in-law was told, just because he took the oath and was sworn in, he could still have his citizenship revoked if he screwed up bad enough. They didn't elaborate on the type of screw-up, and how long they could do that to a person, but in the case of the Boston Bomber, I would have no problem if the government revokes his citizenship.
    WOW!

How long does one have to be a citizen in this country to be guaranteed the same rights as every other citizen?

I guess in your America, some citizens are more equal than other citizens.
    Darrow75, Alex_C and 40Bob like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links