What would you have done if you were in charge in Boston?

This is a discussion on What would you have done if you were in charge in Boston? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are many threads alluding to false flags, testing grounds, violations of rights, and tyranny with respect to the Boston bombings and apprehension of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What would you have done if you were in charge in Boston?

VIP Member

What would you have done if you were in charge in Boston?

There are many threads alluding to false flags, testing grounds, violations of rights, and tyranny with respect to the Boston bombings and apprehension of the surviving terrorist. Apart from some constitutional violations, I think the larger conspiracy theories are without merit. As for the constitutional violations, if they occurred, the citizens that were wronged have access to the courts to seek redress.

Now, let's engage in an exercise. For those concerned about Government intrusion, please enlighten me by engaging in the following exercise.

Scenario:

You are a law enforcement official with full authority to direct state and federal agencies in wake of Boston bombings. Assume the authority that you have meets constitutional muster.

The facts are as they were last seek. People have been killed. One cop has been killed. The terrorists have explosives and handguns in their possession. They may be part of a larger cell. You do not know if they have access to a cache of even more powerful and deadly explosives. They exhibit no hesitation in killing innocent civilians, and they are on the loose in a major metropolitan area.

What do you instruct all the LEO's under your authority to do to apprehend or otherwise stop the terrorists? Please provide specifics.

Remember you have had six days to think about the response. The people involved had to implement a plan in real time.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

Here is the question that needs to be answered:

How/why did the LEOs lose all contact/sight with the suspect when the brother was shot?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Here is the question that needs to be answered:

How/why did the LEOs lose all contact/sight with the suspect when the brother was shot?
    I was listening to the scanner when this went down.

The answer is because the officers were told by dispatch to retreat due to explosives being actively used.

The officers were truly heroic.

Surprised dogs couldn't pick up his trail of S _ _ _ after the gun fight and the killing of his brother right before his eyes................

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I am interested to see if you get any intelligent responses to this thread.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Surprised dogs couldn't pick up his trail of S _ _ _ after the gun fight and the killing of his brother right before his eyes................
    FYI, he ran over his own brother. He was not "killed before his eyes...." He killed him, himself.

VIP Member
    In the grand scheme of things, this was terrible, but not WWI or WWII caliber.
    You don't stop everyday activity for 75 square miles around to get to the bottom of things.
    This was another test to see how far the American people are willing to bend to crazy mandates.

Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I was listening to the scanner when this went down.

The answer is because the officers were told by dispatch to retreat due to explosives being actively used.

The officers were truly heroic.
    Retreat?

Why lose visual contact?

Why not, keep a safe distance but do not break visual contact?

Why didn't they track him from the air?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've still yet to see a response to the original question.

I think the lack of a response is very telling.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Ive had some training in this sort of thing though from a different type agency so here goes.
    Set a wider perimeter than they did asap. Once visual was established the air would have had at least two leo thremal image capable helios in the air at all times keeping constant aerial contact. Not hard to do once the suspect had been located visually even if LEO did have to draw back. Shaking a helicopter is not an easy thing to do once the vehicle and suspect is visual and the helo picks them up. Im assuming someone by that time had at least one over the area. If not there should have been.

With that done the odds that the remaining suspect could have driven off thru city streets shut down by the perimeter and gotten away. would be slim at best even at night. At very least there would have been a much smaller area to concentrate the search on and the homes BG entered if any would have been known.

I wasnt there, and things go haywire fast in situations like that but just personally I think someone in command not the LEOs themselves per se dropped the ball on keeping visual contact from the air using choppers. Once that chance at keeping contact from the air was lost the perp was lost for all practical purposes until he was accidently discovered by someone LE or Civilian in this case civilian.

Edited to add this. LEO on the ground in that fast moving situation are going to do as ordered by their command posts and dispatch. Who in turn will pass on lock down the city if issued from higher up. They arent going to second guess those orders in real time during something like that.
    If bad orders are coming down bad actions is what you will get because the officer in the line of fire does not have time to constitutionally argue what hes being told.

If there is blame to be laid it ultimately rests at the top of the chain of command not with the officers in the field. Yep an individual LEO can be a butt head during something like that but those are few and far between. Most are just trying to get it over and stay alive doing it.

This is a case of if theres crap then it rises to the top not sinks to the bottom.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm not going to go into great detail...

Since the identity of the suspect was already known and he wasn't an NRA member or a Tea Party member, I know that Obama would not be ordering any drone strikes on this muslim terrorist from his situation room so everything would depend on me and all the LEOs you put me in charge of.

The use of deadly force is authorized but I would like to apprehend the suspect alive.

"Bardo" claimed there was an order given to retreat.

I would not have given an order to retreat. I would have given an order to keep a safe distance and maintain visual contact. Called in air support to the location to maintain visual contact. Moved personnel towards his location. Establish road blocks and a perimeter. I'm not familiar with the area but if such a place existed, I'd attempt to block all routes and try to steer him towards a less populated area. Attempt to disable the vehicle he was using/block all vehicular escape routes from the less populated area. Establish a perimeter and move personnel in who are armed with "flash bangs" and attempt to apprehend the suspect.

That is about as specific as I'll get.

Fireproof suit on...ready to be flamed.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

It was handled in a very professional manner and the results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    FYI, he ran over his own brother. He was not "killed before his eyes...." He killed him, himself.
    It would appear that his brother did not run him over, but rather a police officer. Not to say it isn't warranted perhaps, but I think the facts are important either way.

Apparently there is an eyewitness account that contradicts that:

Maybe the police video will surface and lay this to rest, but I am not holding my breath.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I'm not going to go into great detail...

Since the identity of the suspect was already known and he wasn't an NRA member or a Tea Party member, I know that Obama would not be ordering any drone strikes on this muslim terrorist from his situation room so everything would depend on me and all the LEOs you put me in charge of.

The use of deadly force is authorized but I would like to apprehend the suspect alive.

"Bardo" claimed there was an order given to retreat.

I would not have given an order to retreat. I would have given an order to keep a safe distance and maintain visual contact. Called in air support to the location to maintain visual contact. Moved personnel towards his location. Establish road blocks and a perimeter. I'm not familiar with the area but if such a place existed, I'd attempt to block all routes and try to steer him towards a less populated area. Attempt to disable the vehicle he was using/block all vehicular escape routes from the less populated area. Establish a perimeter and move personnel in who are armed with "flash bangs" and attempt to apprehend the suspect.

That is about as specific as I'll get.

Fireproof suit on...ready to be flamed.
    I had to read this twice to make sure that you had everything in there without going into detail. It all sounds good to me.

I vote that they put you in charge of the next manhunt.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links