Typical LEO Loadout

This is a discussion on Typical LEO Loadout within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question for the LEOs here (and a possible suggestion). The MTA cop that was shot in the Thursday night shootout had damage ...

Thread: Typical LEO Loadout

VIP Member

Typical LEO Loadout

I have a question for the LEOs here (and a possible suggestion). The MTA cop that was shot in the Thursday night shootout had damage to his femoral artery and very nearly bled out. It does not sound like he nor his compatriots carried a CAT (combat application tournequet) with them. Had he had a CAT, he, or one of his buddies, could have stopped the blood flowing from his leg before the EMTs got there and mitigated the danger of death he faced.

Do you have a CAT in your vest or otherwise on your person? They are small and light. If you don't carry one, you may want to for just such a situation. You have a very low probablilty of ever needing it (like CCW), but if you need it, you need it very badly and immediately (like CCW). It could also come in handy when responding to a car wreck with an amputation. Just a thought.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I have one in my car. You just never know whats going to happen...

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Keep one and a trama kit is my range bag as well as my car medical kit!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I used to carry a couple of Kotex. But medical assistance was never more tha five or six minutes away, and a level 1 trauma medical center never more than ten minutes away.

mkh
    Do you have a link or suggestions for a good CAT?

Been considering the Bugg gear for femoral artery protection, but hesistant due to weight, temperature increase(if its consistent with ballistic vest)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Femoral artery is rough because it will retract on you... if cut high on the thigh, it would be hard to tourniquet, but a rapid CAT and Celox packet would definitely improve outcomes, I think.

I do have a CAT, but it's open. Would be nice to have a couple sealed ones.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I carry a CAT on my right ankle, above the boot, in a TUCRig hook and loop band every shift. We had an OIS about three weeks ago and though I didn't need the CAT, I was glad I EDC it.

Randall

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Do you have a link or suggestions for a good CAT?
    CAT
    Amazon.com: C-A-T Combat Application Tourniquet: Health & Personal Care
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post

I do have a CAT, but it's open. Would be nice to have a couple sealed ones.
    I dont think it matters if this is sealed or sterile. What seems to be more important is that you know how to apply it correctly. Opening it lets you practice on yourself and on your partner.
    STOP!
    Don't Touch.
    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

I am going to add one to my range kit/truck when I get home, but while deployed I usually have 3 on me when on mission, plus doc has like 25 more.

VIP Member
    That is the brand I have and it is also used/suggested in TDI's combat medicine class.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'm not an LEO, but I do keep an Israeli Battle Dressing and some Celox in a trauma kit in my Jeep.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Links