What are your thoughts on the DOJ stopping the FBI interview?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on the DOJ stopping the FBI interview? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From what I understand the FBI had 48 hours to interview the Boston bomber before having to read him his rights. They were 16 hours ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on the DOJ stopping the FBI interview?

VIP Member

From what I understand the FBI had 48 hours to interview the Boston bomber before having to read him his rights. They were 16 hours into it and were stopped by a Judge. The FBI protested but the bomber was read his rights anyway and then he stopped talking.

WHY was this done? The FBI said the kid was divulging a lot of useful information.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but what the heck is going on in this country? Do terrorists have to be treated with kid gloves by Eric Holder every single time?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I think and I hope I'm right... in 16 hours they prob got what they need. Its hopefully for us as a bully nation to take the high road might be a good thing, maybe?

The above is wishful thinking because I would really rather see him rot in Cuba with his buddies.
    MasterGadgets likes this.

...it goes to the motivation behind Mr. Holder and his boss...

IMO...........pack him in a Tuna Fish can and toss him overboard.

...you've evidently never been crossways with the EPA or the Greenies, have you...
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO...........pack him in a Tuna Fish can and toss him overboard.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Bureaucracy at it's finest. What is wrong with this picture... bombers are treated criminally like civilians instead of terrorists. ...Yet weren't read their miranda rights so that they could be treated like terrorists, temporarily. So the DOJ shuts down the FBI and reads them their miranda rights to shut them up and get them on the path of a civilian trial. Now there is the impossible task of finding an impartial jury. Also, this kids lawyer is going to find every excuse in the book to get him off death row - including the failure to read him his miranda rights.

Fail on all accounts.

He is a US citizen. Your rights do not change depending what crime you are charged with. I kinda thought that is why we have protections in our laws and COnstittuitiion....So emotions do not come into the equation. If we did not have our system of justice we would be just another 3rd world nation throwing folks in jail on accuastaions and for politcal reasons.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Who/what says they're allowed 48 hours before having to read your rights?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    He is a US citizen. Your rights do not change depending what crime you are charged with. I kinda thought that is why we have protections in our laws and COnstittuitiion....So emotions do not come into the equation. If we did not have our system of justice we would be just another 3rd world nation throwing folks in jail on accuastaions and for politcal reasons.
    Exactly so.

Why was he read his rights? Because it was the just and right thing to do, because it's required by our law to do exactly that.

What ... so, DUI's get read rights, but not armed robbers? Murderers of more than one person don't get read their rights, but murderers of only one do? Where would it end? Answer: it wouldn't. And that's the point, and why we have the requirement, and why we don't authorize our hirelings to commit such acts.

Political expediency is the worst of all reasons, IMO, to sidestep justice. It's what has gotten us into this eviscerate-the-2A situation, if you think about it.
    suntzu, Hoganbeg, Hopyard and 6 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think that once they figured out it was not part of a bigger outside terrorist threat that they decided to be safe and treat him like any other person with a visa or U.S. citizen and read him his rights. Makes it easier in court I would think. He was being cooperative but I'm sure that it was because they told him that as a terrorist he was facing the death penalty and more or less no rights.

...I'm ignorant of the laws governing handling of terrorists...

...could someone explain where the law says that terrorists have" more or less no rights?"
    ...would the determination that the person was a terrorist be made by the LEOs, a prosecutor; would he have a trial that decided that he was a terrorist and would he have citizens' rights until that conviction?

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I'm ignorant of the laws governing handling of terrorists...

...could someone explain where the law says that terrorists have" more or less no rights?"
    ...would the determination that the person was a terrorist be made by the LEOs, a prosecutor; would he have a trial that decided that he was a terrorist and would he have citizens' rights until that conviction?
    And, further, what in the Constitution specifically justifies designating that someone is devoid of such rights to counsel, rights to keep quiet, rights to a swift juried trial, etc?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Well, Obama did sign the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) into law. Which lets the Feds detain potential terrorists as long as they want without due process.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Well, Obama did sign the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) into law. Which lets the Feds detain potential terrorists as long as they want without due process.
    And what justifies that, constitutionally/lawfully?

I am definitely not one to give much consideration to conspiracy theories (I will listen, but as always, judge for myself); however, the information Glenn Beck has been revealing about the incident is starting to look like a significant cover up. Mr. Beck apparently has a few legislators who have seen the information directly and are pushing for an investigation.

Based on this and other DOJ actions in recent years that seem equally questionable, I believe illegal things are taking place. If true, I hope they are exposed as soon as possible.
    Laws do not stop criminals, bullets do.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links