Smartphone App Triangulates Sniper Fire

This is a discussion on Smartphone App Triangulates Sniper Fire within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "For the last decade, the Department of Defense has spent millions of dollars to develop sophisticated sniper location systems that are installed in military vehicles ...

Thread: Smartphone App Triangulates Sniper Fire

Smartphone App Triangulates Sniper Fire

"For the last decade, the Department of Defense has spent millions of dollars to develop sophisticated sniper location systems that are installed in military vehicles and require dedicated sensor arrays".

Now

"A team of computer engineers from Vanderbilt University's Institute of Software Integrated Systems has made such a scenario possible by developing an inexpensive hardware module and related software that can transform an Android smartphone into a simple shooter location system".

Story here: Tracking gunfire with a smartphone
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That should save the army a lot of money.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Somehow I doubt that a single-point sensor (like a camera) is going to be very exacting with respect to "triangulation," particularly if a shot occurs outside line-of-sight. Somehow I doubt Apple, Samsung, Nokia and others built their phones with sophisticated triangulation in mind. But then, I'm not a sound physicist or sensor designer. Perhaps I'm all wet, on that score.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    The future of sniping is in suppressed weapons. Not enough sound to detect,no location found.In several warring countrys it's already rendered the high dolloar technology obsolete.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Smartphones are smart!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Somehow I doubt that a single-point sensor (like a camera) is going to be very exacting with respect to "triangulation," particularly if a shot occurs outside line-of-sight. Somehow I doubt Apple, Samsung, Nokia and others built their phones with sophisticated triangulation in mind. But then, I'm not a sound physicist or sensor designer. Perhaps I'm all wet, on that score.

Well, not with only one phone but...

If you install the app in a couple of phones and allow them to exchange timing information, you will have a very quick and reasonably triangulation of the shooters position. And if you are watching "important people" in a planned manner, you can have a mobile or microphonr box higher up, in a building or just on a 3m pole. This will also give you the altitude of the shooter.

Also,

This technology can be used to detect helicopters. Let the mobile app look for the low frequency but rather high energy flapping sound of the rotors.

Equip a couple of troopers with mobiles and the app and they have an increased survival rate.

//danand

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The future of sniping is in suppressed weapons. Not enough sound to detect,no location found.In several warring countrys it's already rendered the high dolloar technology obsolete.
    I suppose a high-powered laser rifle will make no sound at all. The beam travels a bit faster than a bullet, too. Triangulate that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I suppose a high-powered laser rifle will make no sound at all. The beam travels a bit faster than a bullet, too. Triangulate that.
    Not to mention those phased plasma rifles in the 40-watt range.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Links