We should be ashamed

We should be ashamed

This is a discussion on We should be ashamed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So for one of my final term papers I'm discussing the issue of homeless veterans (although this can basically be applied to every aspect of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: We should be ashamed

We should be ashamed

So for one of my final term papers I'm discussing the issue of homeless veterans (although this can basically be applied to every aspect of American life) and I have discovered (by discovered I mean I had no idea until looking this stuff up) that our government literally gives billions to other countries (almost every country) every year. Yet we have homeless veterans, homeless in general, people that can't afford medical treatments to save their lives, and countless other issues that could disappear if we just kept this money we give away regularly for one year.

Making Sense Of U.S. Foreign Aid To Egypt And Elsewhere - Forbes
    ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?
    tony1990 and ccw9mm like this.

I agree with you............stop the money going to Pakistan now....IMO.
    ctr likes this.

They have lost their value to the government and it is high time we remind the government who is really in charge and who is really important!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes and I have been yelling about this for years get out of the U.N. quit giving money to nations that hate us. A wise old indian once said " I will not eat untill my people are fed " . I left the service in the 60s lost some good friends but now in these modern times vets can wait almost a year B4 have there case looked at but no time is wasted sending money to a forien country, side note look at the bang up job cleaning up after Sandy hit the east coast and the people still doing without.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The outflow of cash that could have been better served stateside has always been a problem. It took a term paper to make you realize that? And there are those who say education is a waste.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The outflow of cash that could have been better served stateside has always been a problem. It took a term paper to make you realize that? And there are those who say education is a waste.
    Yes I will sadly admit that I have not been as up to date or involved as I should have been in my prior years. Better late then never.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So for one of my final term papers I'm discussing the issue of homeless veterans (although this can basically be applied to every aspect of American life) and I have discovered (by discovered I mean I had no idea until looking this stuff up) that our government literally gives billions to other countries (almost every country) every year. Yet we have homeless veterans, homeless in general, people that can't afford medical treatments to save their lives, and countless other issues that could disappear if we just kept this money we give away regularly for one year.

ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?
    It is.
    It is just about always blamed on our fiscal position, "the government" don't have enough money.
    First we could easily do away with about 80% of our foreign aid which would relieve most of that issue.
    Then we can increase the available training and re-educating ex-military. I know the GI bill helped me a lot back in the early 1970's.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    It is.
    It is just about always blamed on our fiscal position, "the government" don't have enough money.
    First we could easily do away with about 80% of our foreign aid which would relieve most of that issue.
    Then we can increase the available training and re-educating ex-military. I know the GI bill helped me a lot back in the early 1970's.
    Most folks that have gotten out after 9/11 are leigible for the post 9/11 GI bill. 36 months of BAH pay (set for E5 in the zip code your school is) a stipend for books, free tuition. If you go to some Universities that consider full time 1 class a week for 5 weeks (class is 4 hours long), that is roughly 1250 dollars a month plus 125 for that 5 week period for a Tampa resident. That comes to over 60 dollars an hour for going to school.

My neighbor here in TX (retired E7 Air Force) complians that is not good enough so he does not partake in it. He says when they pay him BAH for his reitred rank he might look into it. Just can't make some folks happy.

I go to college full time and use the money to further my wifes education.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

What will really piss you off is we give china millions a year to for their EPA best part is we borrow money from them to give back to them plus pay interest.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    No more money to any country that hates us and wants to kill us. Let em hate us for free.
    msgt/ret and ctr like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby1276 View Post
    What will really piss you off is we give china millions a year to for their EPA best part is we borrow money from them to give back to them plus pay interest.
    Deleted China.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The whole point of the article is to *NOT* single out foreign aid if you want to reduce the deficit:

Total U.S. foreign aid in 2010 was about 1.7% of the U.S. budget. By any measure, the $1.5 requested for Egypt this year–down from $1.8 billion in 2006–is a lot of money. But put it in perspective. As part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program in 2008, Uncle Sam invested $100 billion in Bank of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo collectively in order to prop up the financial sector. Earlier this week, Chevron reported earnings of $5.3 billion the last quarter of 2010 alone.

Does that mean budget hawks shouldn’t scrutinize the $1.5 billion that goes to Egypt, or any foreign assistance for that matter? Of course not. But for those serious about reducing the deficit, foreign aid is hardly the place to start. Instead, try entitlements. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid make up almost half of federal spending each year.

The best way to get help for homeless vets is to make the issue a big one on Congress's radar. They could solve the problem in an instant if they saw that people cared about it.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There was an old saying that went "Charity begins at home". Too bad Washington doesn't believe that veterans are more entitled than foreign countries. Truth be told many of those foreign countries wouldn't be where they are now without our veterans.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post

ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?
    I'll go out on a limb and say it is not awful. Could the "foreign aid" be administered more efficiently? Yes. But is foreign aid awful in light of the domestic issues facing us? No.

We must engage other countries to further our national interests. Foreign aid is but one facet of such engagement.

As the article points out, it's a relative small portion of our budget. We could also cut costs on non-discretionary domestic (and discretionary domestic) spending, but neither party has the politic will to do so. That's what is truly awful.

The fact that money spent on foreign aid could address many problems our veterans and homeless face strikes and emotional chord. But it's just just that - emotional. And deciding policy on emotion usually leads to less than stellar results.

I understand the feelings, and I share them, but I cannot advocate a policy change based on such feelings alone.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If life is ever discovered on another planet, our government will send them money
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links