court security officers being armed

This is a discussion on court security officers being armed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New in court security and was wondering if anyone has a policy on court security officers that are certified LE officers, in uniform, carrying in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: court security officers being armed

court security officers being armed

New in court security and was wondering if anyone has a policy on court security officers that are certified LE officers, in uniform, carrying in the court rooms? Just came from patrol and can't let it go!!!

2. Remove Ads

I'm cool with it. In Va. I think a Judge can decide if the bailiffs can carry or not. Most here do.

Welcome to the forum
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    An unarmed security officer is just a person wearing a uniform.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    In the early 1990s I worked private security at the local Federal Courthouse House and was armed in uniform. I did entrance security so people would have to pass through my check point before going anywhere else in the building. The actual court security was handled by the U.S. Marshal Service. They had armed court security in coat and tie. They worked for a private company contracted to the USMS, all of them were retired local police officers or deputy sheriffs.

Court security where I live are provided by the sheriff's dept and are armed.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    same here

Are you saying that you transferred from Patrol to Court Security and they don't allow you to be armed?Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard,I'm guessing some liberal Judge feels that if there aren't any guns then there won't be any violence
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Where I used to be from... Uniformed Court Officers who were sworn peace officers provided security within the courtrooms, and the bulding. After people got nervous they hired contract security to run the metal detector, and x-ray... but not armed.

Where I'm from now the Sheriff provides bailif's for court room security, and bulding patrol, and armed front door. But a private contractor provides staff to run the magnetometer, and wand, and the x-ray. So one armed Deputy/bailif, and four unarmed contract security. Thats in Palm Beach county. Broward has plenty of deputies, and bailifs doing security in the court house, and private contractors running the metal detector, wand, and x-ray... with an armed supervisor.

The USMS IS the security in Federal courthouses here in Lexington Ky. The District and Circuit court is handled strictly by the Sheriff.

Hell, even the judges, Prosecutors, and half the attorneys are packing heat.

I can't imagine doing business any other way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I work in the Federal Building. All CSO's are contractors to the USMS. They are armed and are retired LEOs. They provide door and in the building, including courtrooms, security. There is always one in the courtroom when court is in session, civil or criminal. If there is a person who is in Marshal's custody, they are brought into the courtroom by the Marshals and at least two Marshals stay in the courtroom. The CSO is there too, regardless.

Don't know about State court.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I work in the Federal Building. All CSO's are contractors to the USMS. They are armed and are retired LEOs. They provide door and in the building, including courtrooms, security. There is always one in the courtroom when court is in session, civil or criminal. If there is a person who is in Marshal's custody, they are brought into the courtroom by the Marshals and at least two Marshals stay in the courtroom. The CSO is there too, regardless.

Don't know about State court.
    You are exactly right. The USMS also hire and use sworn personel both active and retired to transport and stay with inmates in hospitals.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    Same here in PA.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    When I worked for Ada county standing order was you are a deputy 24/7 and if you were caught with no weapon on your day off you lost 2 days off, but that was the old days
    Snub44, Secret Spuk and Recon1342 like this.

I contract out to the USMS and I am armed.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I contract out to the USMS and I am armed.
    The oldest LE agency in the country!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links