Skills maintenance

This is a discussion on Skills maintenance within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How much practice should we require of those who we pay to carry weapons in public? For the purpose of this poll one box equals ...

View Poll Results: How much practice should be required of those we pay to carry weapons in public?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than one box per week.

8 14.29%
  • One box per week.

8 14.29%
  • Two boxes per month.

16 28.57%
  • One box per month.

15 26.79%
  • One box per quarter.

2 3.57%
  • Two boxes per year.

1 1.79%
  • One box per year.

1 1.79%
  • None at all.

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Skills maintenance

Skills maintenance

How much practice should we require of those who we pay to carry weapons in public?

For the purpose of this poll one box equals fifty rounds.

This is per weapon.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

How much do you want your taxes to go up? We should require them to be proficient. The pupose of their weapon is self protection, and protection of society. Some LEO are gun guys, some aren't. You don't have to be a gun guy to be a good cop. Being a gun guy want make you a good cop. Their agency sets the standard for proficiency.
    phreddy and ccw9mm like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

jcm
    Rather than live fire practice, how about dry fire drills? Not saying dry fire exclusively of course, but to supplement the live fire.
    BobbyLee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    How much do you want your taxes to go up? We should require them to be proficient. The pupose of their weapon is self protection, and protection of society. Some LEO are gun guys, some aren't. You don't have to be a gun guy to be a good cop. Being a gun guy want make you a good cop. Their agency sets the standard for proficiency.
    You get to be the head of their agency. How much do you want them to practice?

Quote Originally Posted by jcm View Post
    Rather than live fire practice, how about dry fire drills? Not saying dry fire exclusively of course, but to supplement the live fire.
    Sure that is fine but how much live fire are they supplementing?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Enough to be proficient. I would imagine that could vary from officer to officer.

VIP Member
    I've seen plenty of mouth-breathers blow through hundreds of rounds at the range and walk away just as incompetent as they began.

Rather than round count, I'd prefer to see focus on proper training.

Numbers are hard to state, as some will be a deadeye with 25 rounds and others can shoot a case and still be inept. The concept of "qualification" (ie. demonstrated ability and proficiency) is a better way to assess skills.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As many as you want to purchase!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    You get to be the head of their agency. How much do you want them to practice?

Sure that is fine but how much live fire are they supplementing?
    I'm assuming that you are specifically referring to the 'average' LEO? If so, firearm skill isn't exactly a top priority, IMO. Sure they need to carry them because they are exposing themselves to dangerous situations and they sure couldn't do their job effectively if they were unarmed. That said, most will rarely, if ever, actually fire their weapon. Now special tactical units should train for the scenarios that they would be deployed in, but that's a little different than what I believe is the spirit of your question.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Enough to be proficient. I would imagine that could vary from officer to officer.
    ^^^agreed^^^
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

[QUOTE=mcp1810;2727021]You get to be the head of their agency. How much do you want them to practice?

QUOTE]

Is my budget unlimited? Who's footing the bill? Do the tax payers need more officers or officer who are better with their gun? Is my agency somewhere that gun battles and violence are the norm, or Mayberry? Many agencies require their officers to qualify yearly and all practice ammo and time comes out of the officers pockets. Some agencies will let you practice as much as you desire and provide all the ammo you desire. Officer can even take ammo home with them to shoot elsewhere. If you require officers to practice you have to allow them to do it on the clock. Can the tax payers handle paying more taxes. In a perfect world I would want officers shooting monthly.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

How much practice should we require of those who we pay to carry weapons in public?
    With the operative word here being *require*, one box (one range session) per month seems reasonable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Is my budget unlimited? Who's footing the bill? Do the tax payers need more officers or officer who are better with their gun? Is my agency somewhere that gun battles and violence are the norm, or Mayberry? Many agencies require their officers to qualify yearly and all practice ammo and time comes out of the officers pockets. Some agencies will let you practice as much as you desire and provide all the ammo you desire. Officer can even take ammo home with them to shoot elsewhere. If you require officers to practice you have to allow them to do it on the clock. Can the tax payers handle paying more taxes. In a perfect world I would want officers shooting monthly.
    Yes, money is no object and it is for the officers in your neighborhood.

And to make it easy on the taxpayers you can even require them to buy their own ammo if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've seen plenty of mouth-breathers blow through hundreds of rounds at the range and walk away just as incompetent as they began.

Rather than round count, I'd prefer to see focus on proper training.
    Ok, you have given them proper training. Now how much ammo are you going to give them to practice with?

VIP Member
    Ok, you have given them proper training. Now how much ammo are you going to give them to practice with?
    Fair 'nuff. I'd think two brief sessions a month would be enough to maintain skills for a trained shooter? 100 rnds (2 boxes) a month?

Yes, money is no object and it is for the officers in your neighborhood.

And to make it easy on the taxpayers you can even require them to buy their own ammo if you like.
    Then they are shooting a 30 rounds at the end of every shift. Daily practice is better than weekly practice. Weekly practice is better than monthly practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links