Judy Clark will defend the Boston Bomber ....nice client list Judy

This is a discussion on Judy Clark will defend the Boston Bomber ....nice client list Judy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Judy Clarke’s former clients include Jared Lee Loughner, who was sentenced to life in prison for killing six people and wounding 13, including Congresswoman Gabrielle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Judy Clark will defend the Boston Bomber ....nice client list Judy

Judy Clarke’s former clients include Jared Lee Loughner, who was sentenced to life in prison for killing six people and wounding 13, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, in a shooting rampage in Tuscon, Arizona. She also represented Theodore Kaczynski, the so-called ‘Unabomber’, who avoided death and was locked up for life on charges related to a domestic bombing spree.

Her newest client, 19-year-old Dzhokhar, was captured following a massive manhunt on 19 April, days after two pressure-cooker bombs allegedly planted by him and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan killed three and injured hundreds near the marathon finish in Boston. Tamerlan was killed in the early hours of April 19 following a police chase and a shootout with officers in suburban Boston.

Dzhokhar has since been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction, a reference to the pressure cooker bombs. The chargers could carry the death penalty. Ms Clarke’s appointment was requested by the suspect’s lead lawyer, Miriam Conrad, who heads the local public defender’s office. Ms Conrad is among the country’s most experienced public defenders, counting the convicted British-born “shoe-bomber” Richard Reid, 39, as one of her former clients.

Along with Ms Clarke, Ms Conrad had also requested the appointment of another death penalty expert, David Bruck. For the time being, however, Mr Bruck’s appointment has been denied by Magistrate Judge Marianne Bowler, who is presiding over the case.

Last week, days before her appointment was confirmed, California-based Ms Clarke spoke of how she had been “sucked into the black hole, the vortex” of death penalty cases nearly 20 years ago when she represented Susan Smith, who was convicted of killing her two children in the mid-90s. Smith was sentenced to life behind bars.

“I got a dose of understanding human behaviour and I learned what the death penalty does to us,” she said in a speech at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles on Friday, says the Associated Press. “I don’t think it’s a secret I oppose the death penalty.”

In other developments related to the Boston bombings case, the New York Times reported investigators had obtained DNA from Tamerlan’s widow, Katherine Russell, to compare it to female DNA found on one of the bombs in the attack. Officials however told the Wall Street Journal there could be many explanations for the DNA.

Meanwhile, as the debate continues in Washington about how much US law enforcement knew about Tamerlan after being informed about his changing behaviour by the Russians in 2011, President Obama defended the way the Federal Bureau of Investigation handled the tip. “Based on what I’ve seen so far, the FBI performed its duties.”

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I used to do work for a number of defense attorneys, one of which was the best in the state of New Mexico. I asked him one time how he could represent these people. He told me there is really one way he could bring himself to do it. He told me that it is not his job to defend them. It is his job to force the prosecution to convict and do his/her job.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

OD*
    I can't say her record is very impressive, maybe the best lawyer for the bomber (if we want him to lose ).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Someones got to do it. Its the way our justice system works.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Wrong forum for the post, I'm sure the mods will move it.

I was expecting her to be involved given her record. Basically, she is an anti death penalty fanatic whose only real goal is that her client doesn't get the death penalty. On that warped version of "success" she has mixed results. Unfortunately, with the need to get any and all info the defendant has about outside help, they may have enough bargaining chips to get a sentence like Rudolph or the Unabomber.

With Loughner, going for death against him would have been very tenuous given that he was legitimately crazy to the point hat a convincing case could be made that he was not competent for trial. What they basically did was drug him enough to get him competent enough to plead guilty and get from now on as a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    Someones got to do it. Its the way our justice system works.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep, the same document that we spend so much time talking about on this forum, also guarantees the right to legal representation. Someone has to defend the most despicable criminals.
    ksholder and PEF like this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Whose paying for her? I hope it is not the taxpayers, give him a public defender and move on!
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I can't say her record is very impressive, maybe the best lawyer for the bomber (if we want him to lose ).
    I don't think it is really her record or on her. Let's face it. The clients mentioned in the story are all pretty much hopeless
    cases with no possible defense. Still, as lionround wrote, someone has to make the prosecutor do their job and prove their case.
    atctimmy likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRiley View Post
    Whose paying for her? I hope it is not the taxpayers, give him a public defender and move on!
    That's what he is getting. The judge has to appoint competent council capable of defending a death penalty case.
    If he appointed Joe Newtothebar, any verdict would get overturned.
    lionround likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Someone has to represent him.

John Adams represented the British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre because he believed that every person deserves a defense.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    It should never be easy for the state to get its pound of flesh, even in cases such as these.

Would anyone here be comfortable if the remaining terrorist had already been tried, convicted, and hanged?

I should hope not.

The state will get 'em, but it will have to jump through all the necessary hoops.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    Ms Clark is doing what she believes in. She is against the death penalty and so am I.

Moved to LE, Homeland Security, etc.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

As distasteful as it seems, every American defendant is entitled to be defended in a court of law. Even the most despicable criminal deserves a defense attorney, as well as an undeniable understanding that he is innocent until proven guilty. That is the unshakeable foundation of American law and I would not have it any other way. Popular sentiment is one thing, but we don't try the accused using American Idol methods (although we seem to elect Presidents that way).

The OP seems to have a problem with the Boston bomber's defense attorney. Why should that matter? Would it be better if this guy was defended by a recent graduate of East Podunk Law School who finished last in his class? I think not. I want this guy convicted in a fair court battle, and I'd also prefer smart and awake jurors.

Lastly, don't overlook the career path for criminal defense attorneys who take on high-profile cases. You don't have to love their clients, but there's no doubt the notoriety is good for the publicity and thus the bank account. It worked for F. Lee Bailey, Alan Dershowitz, Johnnie Cochran and Gloria Allred.
    Hopyard, Brad426, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Someone has to represent him.

John Adams represented the British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre because he believed that every person deserves a defense.
    Not only did he represent them, he got all but two of them off entirely.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links