Hofstra student shot by LEO...

This is a discussion on Hofstra student shot by LEO... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...was being held hostage by a home invader. Perp had female student in headlock.LEO fired 8 shots, 7 contributed to the demise of the perp. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Hofstra student shot by LEO...

...was being held hostage by a home invader.

Perp had female student in headlock.LEO fired 8 shots, 7 contributed to the demise of the perp. 1 killed the girl.

Story here: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/19...al-record.html

Perp was armed... Did he have a gun or a knife to the lady's throat, head...?

As I've explored before... If he had a gun to her head, shooting will not stop his trigger pull... Even if it's a head shot.

Sad story.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Yuck. I wouldn't want to be the responding officer... he's got to be second-guessing himself like mad right now.

As step father to twins, I agonize over what this means to the surviving twin.

The only good that comes out of this is that the perp is "convicted" beyond the shadow of a doubt.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    I don't think the poor Officer had a good choice available to him. If he withdrew and waited for SWAT a sniper and a negotiator and the BG shot the girl it would be bad. The way it turned out it was bad. In the military we have a group of people that is there and supporting each other. Out in the street an officer has an incredible job.

Where did the gun come from? Where was the parole officer. Why wasn't the system monitoring this guy closer?

As said above the guy won't hurt anybody else.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Is it standard procedure for an armed suspect in a residence whether alone or holding hostages to have LEO's charge in.In most cases officers are told to secure a perimeter and wait for a negotiator,instead LEO's charge in and force a confrontation,I guess it's better that the LEO's bullet killed the hostage rather than the BG's (sarcasm) At least the BG wasn't violating the 7 bullet only law
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ain't gonna comment on this one, and don't know how good a shot his is, but hopefully it may encourage other officers to take qual time a little more seriously.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Is it standard procedure for an armed suspect in a residence whether alone or holding hostages to have LEO's charge in.In most cases officers are told to secure a perimeter and wait for a negotiator,instead LEO's charge in and force a confrontation,I guess it's better that the LEO's bullet killed the hostage rather than the BG's (sarcasm) At least the BG wasn't violating the 7 bullet only law
    The confrontation was forced by the armed criminal who violently took hostages and then pointed his firearm at the LEO.
    Hopyard, DontTreadOnI and oneshot like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

NY triggers at work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    goldshellback and blitzburgh like this.

Sad story. My CCH instructor (a police sergeant) would make a joke of telling his fellow officers, "I'm not scared of you, all I'd have to do is strafe left and watch you jerk the trigger and miss every shot." Point being, it is important to have a good level of accuracy at 5 and 10 yard ranges.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

The only second guessing I will do is this.

It's a Mexican standoff. If he's pointing at me, I'm still not firing. If he's pointing at her, I'm still not firing.

He shoots her, he's dead. He shoots at me, he's dead.

Whether I live or die, student's life more valuable than mine, mine more than his.

I don't care how good a shot LEO is, if BG has his finger on the trigger and pointed at her, NO ONE can guarantee a shot that will stop his finger from pulling the trigger.

gottabkiddin likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I don't care how good a shot LEO is, if BG has his finger on the trigger and pointed at her, NO ONE can guarantee a shot that will stop his finger from pulling the trigger.
    Especially true with a handgun round. As everyone here always states shoot until there is not longer a threat. It is possible the victim could have been hit in the middle of that string of 8 rounds fired and the LEO was shooting until the threat was gone.

Condolences to the family of the girl. That LEO may also never be the same as well.

The student, Andrea Rebello, and her twin sister, Jessica, who also lived at the home, just blocks from the university, were among several people taken hostage on Friday morning in an apparent robbery attempt.
    Perp: 0
    Hostages lost: 1
    Hostages saved: unk
    LE damaged: 1, like as not

The authorities issued a warrant for his arrest on April 25, after he failed to check in with a parole officer. He had served multiple sentences in prison, mostly for robbery convictions, and was released on parole in February after serving a nine-year sentence.

Given Mr. Smith’s criminal past, questions are likely to be raised about how he was being monitored.
    Ya think?!

Given his multiply-violent criminal past, the one question is: why in all that's holy was this man released on PAROLE???

Hopyard, wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Given his multiply-violent criminal past, the one question is: why in all that's holy was this man released on PAROLE???
    Because our system places more emphasis on rehabilitating people who won't be rehabilitated, instead of punishment for your crimes and providing justice to victims.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Because our system places more emphasis on rehabilitating people who won't be rehabilitated, instead of punishment for your crimes and providing justice to victims.
    Proposed: that, in any situation where a parolee goes violent within the parole period, the entire group of parole board idiots do bit of hard "rehabilitation" time themselves, to the tune of the remaining period on the violent perp's original sentence. Provide proper incentives, where incentives to do the right thing are currently lacking. See if a bit of "kneepad" therapy can change their insidious ways.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another problem is prison overcrowding, so they have to release some on parole to have room for the 'newcomers.' This is one reason I think marijuana (and even opiates) should be legal, people with simple possession charges are filling up prisons and allowing violent people like this to get out early on parole.

That and mandatory minimum sentences need to go away, they only add to the problem of overcrowding.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The only second guessing I will do is this.

It's a Mexican standoff. If he's pointing at me, I'm still not firing. If he's pointing at her, I'm still not firing.

He shoots her, he's dead. He shoots at me, he's dead.

Whether I live or die, student's life more valuable than mine, mine more than his.

While I agree with your thoughts here, I must say that, I have a long time friend that was a Navy Seal instructor and a member of Seal team six; He's a awesome guy, and a life long best friend. While I seriously doubt as you say, that the average Joe would be able to do this under duress and I'm certainly not saying that I could either, but per his instructions there is a spot that represents a small triangle on the forehead. It's about three by three, and is placed center of the eyes to the bridge of the nose. If you can put a round inside this area, it stops all motor function instantaneously. Again, Im not saying I could or anyone without serious training could either, but if it was a stand off, that would have been my move on the guy if I thought there was no doubt that he was gonna kill the hostage. Of course there's no way to know if he intends to kill anyone, so it's kinda moot, but I just thought I pass that along for the sake of discussion.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links