New Memorial Day Tradition

This is a discussion on New Memorial Day Tradition within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sent Jeanlouise a PM a few minutes ago and made a suggestion that got me to thinking. I was thinking that to honor those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Memorial Day Tradition

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar

New Memorial Day Tradition

I sent Jeanlouise a PM a few minutes ago and made a suggestion that got me to thinking. I was thinking that to honor those who served and are responsible for our freedoms we should set an extra place at the table in their honor. We should invite their spirits to our tables to honor them.

2. Remove Ads

Or better yet, go shake a real-life one's hand, buy him/her a drink, and listen to some stories.
    rocky, Snub44, SpencerB and 4 others like this.

Send me money - lots of money. That's a thought I can count.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Or better yet, go shake a real-life one's hand, buy him/her a drink, and listen to some stories.
    I like this idea.

I use Memorial Day to reflect upon the vets that paid the ultimate price. Veterans Day is for those of us still fogging mirrors.
    Sarge65, Olduser, sdprof and 5 others like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Memorial Day is a very busy day for most members of the American Legion and VFW posts. My VFW Post will serve a free afternoon brunch that is prepared and served by post members and will also be participating in several local events/ceremonies.
    As the booze flows the combat stories get better and better.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Lets raise a glass to all those who have paid the ultimate sacrafice.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

The Golden Corral restaurant chain in Indiana always maintains a table and place setting to honor absent Veterans. If there is a VA medical facility near you, the greatest gift you can give the Veterans (as posted) is a little bit of your time. It's too late for this year, but with pre-planning, and authorization, you may be able to host a Veteran for a holiday meal.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Or any day if your serving a Vet as a waitress therapist or whatever be sure your service is golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I use Memorial Day to reflect upon the vets that paid the ultimate price. Veterans Day is for those of us still fogging mirrors.
    Definitely, and I find the two best ways to do this are:
    1. Hanging out with other air hogs like us to swap stories about those no longer here.
    2. Touching bases with the families of fallen comrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I am in this camp. If I am at church or some event on Memorial Day and they ask for those that have served to stand up I do not. The day is not about me or the living. It is one for those that have passed.
    NH_Esau, squid86 and sdprof like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Or any day if your serving a Vet as a waitress therapist or whatever be sure your service is golden.
    Waitress therapy is some of the best around... and I mean this in a completely upright, non-creepy way. I've seen some waitresses really turn a vet's day around in a way an ugly guy like me just can't. That's the idea that got the whole USO thing started. And with so many guys killing themselves right now, just pouring a cup of joe with a smile, and taking an extra few seconds to listening to someone talk may be doing something much more significant than you think.
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i like your suggestion OP. i hate that people in general treat memorial day as veterans day, totally different thing. veterans day is to thank those who have served and memorial day is to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

When I was over in Afghanistan my Canadian Warrant and I watched Remembrance Day Memorial in Ottawa. I think what impressed me is that while they nationally televised the memorial on that day, the importance of remember the sacrifice of our veterans wasn't a day or a weekend. I believe at least several weeks out Canadians and most of the Commonwealth Countries will begin to wear poppies. I really liked this idea and will be wearing one.

Thanks to all who served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice. My father served in 2 wars, multiple combat wounds and recipient of the Navy Cross. My oldest is now in the US Army and he is now serving us.

God Bless.

My father passed away last year so we put his military picture at his place at the table. Miss you dad.
    lionround likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links