Stupid Zero Tolerance Policies Criminalize Kids

This is a discussion on Stupid Zero Tolerance Policies Criminalize Kids within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An excellent, quick read, relevant as it applies to recent "gun" stories: America Needs To Stop Treating Kids Like Criminals - Yahoo! Finance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Stupid Zero Tolerance Policies Criminalize Kids

VIP Member

Stupid Zero Tolerance Policies Criminalize Kids

An excellent, quick read, relevant as it applies to recent "gun" stories:
    America Needs To Stop Treating Kids Like Criminals - Yahoo! Finance
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

As a parent I have no issue telling my daughter to not wear or display anything with a bomb, knife or gun on it. To me it's just good taste. I just don't see a need to flaunt or draw attention. I'll debate the evils of gun control with anyone but there's a time and a place for everything. Just like its not kosher to say "bomb" at the airport. It's not a big deal and I don't treat it as such. I'll pick my battles.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I too believe that the schools' zero tolerance policy has gotten out of hand. It takes all discretion out of the hands of the administrators and puts it into the hands of the bureaucrats. The student was recently expelled for having a pair of nail clippers in his backpack. That is extreme to say the least.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

In a hand basket is straight where we're heading.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Can't remember where I was... Saw a gal with a "Western" style belt on... May have been the local farm store... At any rate,this belt had crossed sixguns in blue gems, outlined in white rhinestones on it... Thought to myself, it's a good thing school's out... that might get her arrested...

Criminalize kids for gun stuff in school... teach them AND everybody else in their school that guns are bad, guns are criminal... Soon, they awaken as adults from the dreams of school... and they go out and vote... Guns are bad, guns are criminal... And well, you connect the dots.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I think the parents of these abused children need to adopt a zero tolerance policy of their own. A zero tolerance policy for the tyrannical rule and abuse of their children by a bunch of witch hunting communist brain washers.
    Anubis likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

It seems to me that the whole "start them while they are young" mantra is being taken a little too literally..........
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

It's up to parents to teach kids about firearms and safe handling. Not the schools. I'm ok with guns not being allowed in any form at school. Don't bash and berate gun ownership in classes and I'm ok.

Why do we feel the need to push our agenda at every turn anyway?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    It's not the "zero tolerance" principle that I have a problem with, but the application of it to so many trivial things.

Sure, you bring a gun to school, you get expelled. Zero tolerance for unauthorized firearms at school makes sense if that's the policy. However, expelling or arresting a kid for making a "gun" gesture with his hand, or having a pop tart shaped like a gun is not a proper application of the policy. The rule should be for firearms, not breakfast. To apply the rule more broadly is to open the floodgates for all kinds of misunderstandings that lead children to prison.

I think if schools used some common sense, the whole issue could be avoided.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Any American is a criminal in some way in the eyes of the government. The only reason we are not all behind bars is because we are needed to support our oppressive government. Our government being the highest ranking criminals in this country now (read the daily news). I guess the US is indeed gangland territory. It's just more organized that street gangs, or geographic locations. With laws and rules made by the criminal elite....we can pretty much figure out this country is just one big penitentiary. Those of us who feel we still have freedom are simply those whom have not bucked the system. Think about it before you tell me I'm off base here. Or country is now ruled by criminals who only answer to themselves. Their biggest sin is being caught and having to answer to a higher criminal authority. Think about it. Criminalizing kids now? You tell me where this all ends or if it will.
    tony1990 likes this.

If we do not play well in the "great society" we will be punished Thats what these kids are being taught. IMO this crap needs to stop....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

When I was in grade school we could bring out 22 rifle to school,or shotgun and set it in the corner of the class room till after school so we could go hunting after school. What has happened so that can't be done now? Whatever it is that's the problem,not the 22. It would just sit in the corner and not move all day,and it ain't changed.
    DetChris likes this.

VIP Member
    Its gone overboard IMO. Open the news on almost any day and you will read about one outrage or another. The other day
    a kid was in trouble because he stopped a bully from stabbing (with a real knife) another kid.

My simple rules: 1) Under 10, no police involvement ever. These are juveniles too young to be prosecuted in most jurisdictions, and in the ones
    where they may be, they still are too young and it is child abuse.

2) 11- 13 Police should seldom be needed or called unless a real weapon and credible threat has been involved, and not one accidentally brought to school as a pocket knife might be. Children do childish things. Treat them as children.

3) 13 - 16 Adult enough to be held responsible for being stupid, but trivial matters should not be turned into criminal matters.

They still don't have either a complete emotional development or a fully developed IQ.

4) 16- 1 day shy of 18. Still not adults. Keep that in mind whenever possible.

5) 18 and above--- School needs to be revamped so no one is going there after 18. If they'd cut the crap out of the curriculum and
    get their priorities right, no one over 18 should still be in HS.

I was out of HS before my 17th birthday, not because I was smart which I wasn't, but because the school made it possible to complete HS
    in 3 1/2 years and I started school a bit young as a matter of luck, not merit. What I learned from this is that had I needed to
    spend another year and a few months in the dungeon, I'd probably have gone stark raving mad. I've known smart kids who dropped out
    of HS at 18 and a few months shy of graduation because they found a college that didn't require them to actually graduate and they had had enough.
    GraySkies likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    It's up to parents to teach kids about firearms and safe handling. Not the schools. I'm ok with guns not being allowed in any form at school. Don't bash and berate gun ownership in classes and I'm ok.

Why do we feel the need to push our agenda at every turn anyway?
    Why do we feel the need to push our "agenda" at every turn?

Because there's a good chance we are not the majority. And, if the schools teach all children that all guns are bad, except in the hands of "officialdom," they will grow up to vote along those lines. And while they're at it, they may very well give up other rights, too.

If the teacher has a rock for a paperweight on her desk... Does she preach that rocks were, possibly, the very first murder weapon? That they should only be used by and for educators?

The gun, and any facsimile thereof, is an inanimate object. In and of itself, it is as harmless as a paperweight. Inanimate objects are not evil.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Any American is a criminal in some way in the eyes of the government. The only reason we are not all behind bars is because we are needed to support our oppressive government. Our government being the highest ranking criminals in this country now (read the daily news). I guess the US is indeed gangland territory. It's just more organized that street gangs, or geographic locations. With laws and rules made by the criminal elite....we can pretty much figure out this country is just one big penitentiary. Those of us who feel we still have freedom are simply those whom have not bucked the system. Think about it before you tell me I'm off base here. Or country is now ruled by criminals who only answer to themselves. Their biggest sin is being caught and having to answer to a higher criminal authority. Think about it. Criminalizing kids now? You tell me where this all ends or if it will.
    I know of no prison where you can choose to walk out, live elsewhere, and live life as you choose, within the confines or without...

If we are prisoners, we are (arguably) prisoners in a 5 star hotel. Surely, we pay for the amenities we enjoy, but at any time we can out to move out and go to motel 6, or any flop house in the world.

Even Oswald was able to elect to become a citizen of the USSR. And, IIRC, he was allowed to reverse his decision...

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Hopyard and GraySkies like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Zero-tolerance is just an excuse for administrators and teachers to not take any responsibility for making decisions and judgement calls. They are all too scared of a lawsuit for something or another, and the stupid umbrella zero-tolerance garbage gives them cover.
    PEF likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links