Edward Snowden, NSA source of leaked info

This is a discussion on Edward Snowden, NSA source of leaked info within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk 29 years old. I was wondering how The Guardian was getting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Edward Snowden, NSA source of leaked info

VIP Member

Edward Snowden, NSA source of leaked info

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk

29 years old. I was wondering how The Guardian was getting all this info. Now we know. Will be interesting to see what the Justice Department does.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

My bet: they're gonna jump on him. National Security reasons. Color him "gone" ... more or less.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well since Mr. Snowden has betrayed not only his country but his life-long confidentially agreement he will most likely be brought up on some serious charges. There are many safeguards in place with regard to collection and Mr. Snowden as a contract employee should know that. I have no empathy for him.

DP
    Arborigine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    Well since Mr. Snowden has betrayed not only his country but his life-long confidentially agreement he will most likely be brought up on some serious charges. There are many safeguards in place with regard to collection and Mr. Snowden as a contract employee should know that. I have no empathy for him.

DP
    You may not have any sympathy for him, but you obviously have some empathy for him.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    According to what I read all this information was available publicly if you knew where to look. If they prosecute him it sort of shows a guilty conscience on the part of the security group. How did they come to let their stuff be connected to the 'Net, or how did this guy get to it? Maybe they owe him a debt of gratitude for exposing a weak security link, like a white-hat op?
    Cheesewiz likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    According to what I read all this information was available publicly if you knew where to look. If they prosecute him it sort of shows a guilty conscience on the part of the security group. How did they come to let their stuff be connected to the 'Net, or how did this guy get to it? Maybe they owe him a debt of gratitude for exposing a weak security link, like a white-hat op?
    One wonders how a 29 year old finds himself in a position paying 200K, a security sensitive position at that, gains access
    to information that a private company (he was working for a contractor not Uncle directly) perhaps should have at best had
    only a small piece of.

I'd like to know a lot more about his education, career, prior work experience. One paper said he worked for the CIA. OK, at what level, rank, etc., how long, under what circumstances did he leave?

I want to know a lot more about the contractor who hired him. If they guy had a very high security clearance, did they actually
    investigate who he is? Honesty, integrity, etc.

I smell rotten fish, and the stench might not be just from Mr. Snowden.

Whether one like, hates, approves, or disapproves of whatever program was ongoing, the key issue to me is how
    such a young person gains access to "the keys to the kingdom." Secret programs generally parcel out pieces and only
    a very few individuals know what each piece is about-- or so I learned reading spy novels and watching Bond movies.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Well Hopyard, someone has to do it.

What makes you think this guy, duplicated thousands of times over, couldn't be "tripping the light fantastic" with Americans' data?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    This is going to be interesting
    Caertaker and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I smell rotten fish, and the stench might not be just from Mr. Snowden.
    Very fishy indeed. He states that he is an Information Technology guy, a systems administrator, a senior consultant. He works for a contractor not the NSA.

Then he goes on to say that not all intelligence analysts (NSA folks) have the same security authority to intercept communications. However he has the authority to bug anyone including the POTUS.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Bitter clinger!

There are consequences…..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dling View Post
    Very fishy indeed. He states that he is an Information Technology guy, a systems administrator, a senior consultant. He works for a contractor not the NSA.

Then he goes on to say that not all intelligence analysts (NSA folks) have the same security authority to intercept communications. However he has the authority to bug anyone including the POTUS.
    Which if he said that ( one never knows from news reporting), makes him likely a pathological liar.

OTOH, if true, there are some pretty high level people who should lose their jobs and go to jail.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Fall guy.....

My guess is that something that could be this controversial would be kept under wraps a bit better than to allow a contractor to have as many details as have come out. There's more to it besides some Booz Allen high school dropout. That's only a hunch though....
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Which if he said that ( one never knows from news reporting), makes him likely a pathological liar.
    He said it in the video taped interview linked to in the first post.
    Bitter clinger!

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Fall guy.....

My guess is that something that could be this controversial would be kept under wraps a bit better than to allow a contractor to have as many details as have come out. There's more to it besides some Booz Allen high school dropout. That's only a hunch though....
    A high school dropout would not get hired by Booz Allen in the first place.
    Bitter clinger!

As altruistic as Snowden's motives may be, does a single analyst have the right to expose secrets that could put all of us at risk? Everyone with a security clearance and a computer could potentially be a Snowden. Where does their conscience end and the country's security begin? It will be interesting to see how our country answers those questions.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dling View Post
    He said it in the video taped interview linked to in the first post.
    Well then, I think he is just a nut, perhaps with little real information. He also said, "My predisposition is to seek asylum in a country with shared values." So he flees to Hong Kong, China. :- Hmmmm.

Meanwhile Booz Allen the contractor in Hawaii says he only worked for them for 3 months. Duh, it smells like a pile of deep manure to me. This quote, "I sitting at my desk certainly had the authority to wiretap anyone from you to your account or a federal judge or even the President if I had a personal email," sounds like the fellow suffers from
    delusions. But, that doesn't mean his fantasies gone public have not created a lot of trouble, if only by making
    ordinary people like us wonder if any of it is really going on, and then getting mad about it, even if the statements
    by him seem to lack credibility.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links