Milwaukee Police using "ShotSpotter" technology

This is a discussion on Milwaukee Police using "ShotSpotter" technology within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll admit, I hadn't heard of "ShotSpotter" prior to this technology or the fact it had been implemented in parts of Milwaukee. Having just now ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Milwaukee Police using "ShotSpotter" technology

I'll admit, I hadn't heard of "ShotSpotter" prior to this technology or the fact it had been implemented in parts of Milwaukee. Having just now found out about it and not knowing enough yet, I don't know/haven't decided if this is a good thing or the next stop on the Big Brother society road.

Sensors detect when gunshots are fired and alert police immediately.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, June 11, 2013: ShotSpotter gets Milwaukee cops to crime scenes quickly

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Big brother.
    Jab73180 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I can tell you it is in a large urban city in California and has resulted in some very interesting arrests. The bad guys are still at the scene when the police arrive. I don't see a big brother thing here. If you are in LA or San Francisco or Oakland when should a person be shooting his gun in the city?

Bad Guys haven't figured out how the police get there so fast yet once they do they may stop shooting who knows.

I sure wish the media didn't see a need to tell the world about this but it is a free society I just think some things are better kept secret to keep them effective.
    Arborigine, LM2024 and Oldpsufan like this.

Whoa, I've never heard about this. Strategically placed censors? Hm.. not sure how I feel about this yet.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    It's very basic technology, three or more sensors are all that are needed. A computer quickly calculates the time difference between when each sensor (microphone) pickups the sound and triangulates the location. I remember hearing about it probably a decade ago.

And I see nothing big brother'ish about it. It in to way invades anyone privacy, and only reacts to gunshots. If a good guy shots a bg defending themselves, they are going to call 911 anyway, and if a bg shoots a gg, then again the police are on their way even if the gg can't call 911.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You have to remember that when you are out in public, you no longer have an expectation of privacy. If you send out "sound" into the public space you should have no expectation that sound will not be used against you. That is all this system does. Is it a little big brother-ish? Sure, but we if it a choice between this system to help cut down "gun violence" or gun control, I will take this thing every day.
    Arborigine likes this.

The interesting thing is that it is deployed in Chicago yet doesn't seem to be having a tangible impact (from a year-over-year perspective) after 6+ months. It would be interesting to know if in cities where it is in use what the percentage reduction in gun violence has been (getting there faster can help catch the BG, but is it reducing crime?), and if yes, what types of crimes are most affected. For example, does this impact gang behavior? If not, it probably wouldn't help a city like Chicago much.

ShotSpotter Gunshot 'Listening' Technology Comes To Chicago Police Force

VIP Member
    For a country that is strapped for cash and local communities that are mostly strapped for cash, it sure seems like a waste of money to me. That is big brother to me. If it is such a great idea, put it to the vote. Tell folks how much it will cost to put so many mics and a monitoring station in place, how much it will take to run and maintain said system and the benefits they can expect to get from it. Let the folks decide if that is how the money should be spent.
    blitzburgh and atctimmy like this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I can tell you it is in a large urban city in California and has resulted in some very interesting arrests. The bad guys are still at the scene when the police arrive. I don't see a big brother thing here. If you are in LA or San Francisco or Oakland when should a person be shooting his gun in the city?

Bad Guys haven't figured out how the police get there so fast yet once they do they may stop shooting who knows.

I sure wish the media didn't see a need to tell the world about this but it is a free society I just think some things are better kept secret to keep them effective.
    You and CA were made for each other. Just wait til they start using the mics with voice recognition technology and cataloguing conversations that occur in public and arresting people for casual comments that are taken out of context from a lack of being there.
    atctimmy, NONAME762 and 84160 like this.

Any time I'm shooting in the types of places these would be, I'm calling them anyway. If someone shoots an innocent person, I want them on the scene as fast as possible.

Now, I'm basing my opinion on this thread alone. I haven't even read the links yet. I don't necessarily agree or disagree at this point.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

This is proper utilization of technology. Running license plates via a computer used to be considered Big Brother. While I am the first to throw a red flag when something smells wrong, I think this is good and will get more criminals off of the street without limiting the rights of others.

The only thing I am concerned about is if the program is expanded and someone is forced to shoot in self-defense, perhaps officers will arrive on scene before the legally armed citizen can call 911 or feels safe reholstering. In that way, they could be mistaken for the bad guy - not a good position to be in.
    LM2024 likes this.

Wow I didn't know that that technology was available. Sounds great for the home owners. I would hate for my neighborhood to be marked as a high crime area.

VIP Member
    All y'all are making the assumption that the government will use these systems solely for the currently-stated purpose. What will your take be when the microphones are used with voice recognition software to pick out your voice while on the streets and recording all your conversations? Yes, you may say "I don't say anything to be worried about", and by today's standard, that could be true. But, if comments are taken out of context or misunderstood by the software - which will have the benefit of the doubt in court over your assertions - or if what you said is, while not illegal, out of favor with the current ruling class and you are now being harassed (or worse) by your government. How will you like these systems then?

If you think such abuses cannot or will not occur, please explain the IRS, NSA, AP or Fox News scandals that are currently ongoing. See the third line in my signature.
    blitzburgh and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Just wait til they start using the mics with voice recognition technology and cataloguing conversations that occur in public and arresting people for casual comments that are taken out of context from a lack of being there.
    A la the Denzel Washington film Deja Vu (2006).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The city just south of me uses the Shot Spotter system. It is only as good as the local departments response times. The bad guys are well aware of the system and act accordingly and flee the scene immediately. It is does not deter gun crimes but has proven that there was more unreported gun fire than what was reported before the system was put in place. Has the system proven its worth $250K? Only if it means that the police are on scene in five to eight minutes minutes instead of eight to ten minutes. In the majority of cases the bad guy has left the scene or is wounded/dead or the victim is wounded/dead at the scene. Shots from within a structure have gone undetected.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links