"Drop your weapon!"

This is a discussion on "Drop your weapon!" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In countless TV and movie scenes, the villain threatens a hostage while police officers look on. The villain commands the officers to drop their weapons, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: "Drop your weapon!"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

"Drop your weapon!"

In countless TV and movie scenes, the villain threatens a hostage while police officers look on. The villain commands the officers to drop their weapons, which about 90% of the TV officers do.

Surely in the real world, police officers are universally trained to never give up their weapons?
    ArmyCop and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not a LEO but even I know that if I dropped my weapon in that situation there would now be TWO hostages. I always yell at the TV when I see that.
    tcox4freedom and ArmyCop like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't understand the point of dropping your weapon if you have it trained on a BG when the BG has a hostage.

Either the BG is willing to kill the hostage (and you) or he isn't. If he is willing to kill, giving up your only means of defense seems pretty dumb. If he isn't, then dropping the gun is also a dumb move.

The BG needs to know that he will die if he shoots the hostage, so there isn't a benefit to him if he does that. If you drop the weapon, the BG doesn't have to worry about being shot and has all the power in the confrontation, leaving both you and the hostage at the mercy of a BG with a gun.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see what dropping the weapon gains you in that scenario. At most it is a gamble and trusting your life and the life of the hostage with a BG with a gun.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I like the similar scene in "Billy Jack", which was otherwise a pretty stupid movie. The villain issues the usual command, the hero just cocks his weapon and points it at the villain. The villain says "What?! You'd kill the girl?". The hero says "No. You're going to kill her, then I'm going to kill you".

But my reason for this thread is to hear from LEOs on the relevant training.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    In real life the most they are going to be willing to do is to back up and take cover to try to calm the BG down. Once you are in a hostage situation it is time to call in the experts and let them try to talk the person down.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Like IDPA you still score the points when you fire through a non-threat. Or you could just fire a single 45ACP and they would both vaporize leaving a steamy spot on the floor.

Seriously though, anything you see on TV, just do the opposite in real world. That's the default. As a civilian I don't call cops until I'm finished. They can come clean up. If it's my family or friend I would not trust most cops taking that shot. Not unless I could hand pick them.

Rule 1: Never, ever, ever, ever surrender your firearm.
    Rule 2: In the very rare event it seems surrendering your firearm will make the situation better, see rule 1.

The episode oF "Southland" before the season finale has a great lesson on this very issue...

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    It was a long time ago, but we were trained to never surrender our weapons.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    First rule of LE Skills Firearms training: Unlearn everything you have ever seen on TV.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Never give up your weapon and give the sniper enough time for a clean headshot.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Also take a look at the movie Miami Vice. The inside the trailer scence.

In a civilian situation I would imagine the most likely hostage would be a family member. I ain't dropping my weapon, but I am hoping my weapon ain't my LCP
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I refer you to the Onion Field killings in California.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Rule 1: Never, ever, ever, ever surrender your firearm.
    Rule 2: In the very rare event it seems surrendering your firearm will make the situation better, see rule 1.
    Ladies and gents... This is the answer!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links