Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence'

This is a discussion on Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence' | Military.com Two defendants in military sexual assault cases cannot be punitively discharged, if found guilty, because of “unlawful ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By Brad426
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 4 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 4 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Doghandler
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence'

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Patti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Show Me State
    Posts
    2,641

    Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence'

    Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence' | Military.com

    Two defendants in military sexual assault cases cannot be punitively discharged, if found guilty, because of “unlawful command influence” derived from comments made by President Barack Obama, a judge ruled in a Hawaii military court this week.

    Navy Judge Cmdr. Marcus Fulton ruled during pretrial hearings in two sexual assault cases -- U.S. vs. Johnson and U.S. vs. Fuentes -- that comments made by Obama as commander in chief would unduly influence any potential sentencing, according to a court documents obtained by Stars and Stripes.

    On Wednesday and Thursday, Fulton approved the pretrial defense motions, which used as evidence comments that Obama made about sexual assault at a May 7 news conference.

    “The bottom line is: I have no tolerance for this,” Obama said, according to an NBC News story submitted as evidence by defense attorneys in the sexual assault cases.

    ‘I expect consequences,” Obama added. “So I don’t just want more speeches or awareness programs or training, but ultimately folks look the other way. If we find out somebody’s engaging in this, they’ve got to be held accountable -- prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”

    The judge’s pretrial ruling means that if either defendant is found guilty, whether by a jury or a military judge, they cannot receive a bad conduct discharge or a dishonorable discharge. Sailors found guilty under the Uniform Code of Military Justice’s Article 120, which covers several sexual crimes including assault and rape, generally receive punitive discharges.“A member of the public would not hear the President’s statement to be a simple admonition to hold members accountable,” Fulton stated. “A member of the public would draw the connection between the ‘dishonorable discharge’ required by the President and a punitive discharge approved by the convening authority.

    “The strain on the system created by asking a convening authority to disregard [Obama’s] statement in this environment would be too much to sustain public confidence.”

    The ruling sets the stage for defense attorneys to use the same arguments in sexual assault cases throughout the military.
    Makes me wonder if his comments in the Zimmerman case with Travon will impact appeals.
    Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. — Winston Churchill

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,690
    Frankly I don't find anything wrong with Obama's comments. In fact, I agree with them, and that don't happen often.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,141
    As much as I disagree on just about everything His Lordship says I too have to agree on this one. Having been in a position of being able to influence other people’s careers anyone who uses that type of influence is not deserving of the position.
    loboleather and suntzu like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence' | Military.com



    Makes me wonder if his comments in the Zimmerman case with Travon will impact appeals.

    I'm sure it will. When the POTUS rushes forward to say that if he had a son it would look just like Travon; that has to influence potential jurors.

    Once a judge rules on something like this, other judges use it as precedence.


    Or, his "the police acted stupidly" comment which led to the now famous "Beer Summit". The guy just can't help himself.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm sure it will. When the POTUS rushes forward to say that if he had a son it would look just like Travon; that has to influence potential jurors.

    Once a judge rules on something like this, other judges use it as precedence.


    Or, his "the police acted stupidly" comment which led to the now famous "Beer Summit".
    I don't think it will affect the trial or any verdict. The comments were made awhile ago and the jury has been selected. Another thing to consider is that Obama is CoC. He does have "command influence" in regards to the military. For civilians he is just a figure head with no power or direct influence on a jurors life if they decide one way or the other.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  7. #6
    Member Array GSDSchutzhund's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    29 Palms Ca
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Frankly I don't find anything wrong with Obama's comments. In fact, I agree with them, and that don't happen often.

    The whole thing behind his comments though is that they didnt need to be said. S/A cases almost always end in the defendant (if guilty) being dishonorably discharged and serving time in a brig. His comments, however, unlawfully influenced any one who may have been on a jury. Just another example where this man should keep his mouth shut and just pray he doesnt get impeached...

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't think it will affect the trial or any verdict. The comments were made awhile ago and the jury has been selected. Another thing to consider is that Obama is CoC. He does have "command influence" in regards to the military. For civilians he is just a figure head with no power or direct influence on a jurors life if they decide one way or the other.
    When Obama speaks, people listen. Well, Liberals do anyway. He's very influential. If he wasn't, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

    They know his sympathy was for Travyon, and that will carry weight.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    When Obama speaks, people listen. Well, Liberals do anyway. He's very influential. If he wasn't, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

    They know his sympathy was for Travyon, and that will carry weight.
    Would it carry any weight with you if you were on the jury?
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Would it carry any weight with you if you were on the jury?
    No, because I'm not a Liberal.
    msgt/ret and discoboxer like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  11. #10
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,111
    Don't let this morph into a Zimmerman thread....I can see telltale signs of Zimmerman Creeping Incrementalism.

    And youse guys already knows what happens to those.

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,530
    Heck, I'm surprised this thread survived the first post!
    Hopyard and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Judge: Obama Comments 'Unlawful Command Influence' | Military.com

    Makes me wonder if his comments in the Zimmerman case with Travon will impact appeals.
    None. The reason that it was an issue here is that Obama is in their Chain of Command.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,020
    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The bottom line is: I have no tolerance for this,” Obama said, according to an NBC News story submitted as evidence by defense attorneys in the sexual assault cases.

    I expect consequences,” Obama added. “So I don’t just want more speeches or awareness programs or training, but ultimately folks look the other way. If we find out somebody’s engaging in this, they’ve got to be held accountable -- prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”

    The judge’s pretrial ruling means that if either defendant is found guilty, whether by a jury or a military judge, they cannot receive a bad conduct discharge or a dishonorable discharge.

    The strain on the system created by asking a convening authority to disregard [Obama’s] statement in this environment would be too much to sustain public confidence.”
    Huh.

    If I have read this correctly ...

    What's really going to strain my confidence is if such animals and the entire command structure don't get held accountable for their actions in the strictest sense of the word, irrespective of the CIC's opinions on the matter.

    What really blows my confidence in the whole sham is: a long-standing, continuing environment of glossing over such things and sweeping it under the rug; a long-standing, continuing rubber-stamping of such things by the so-called "courts"; and the whole semantics back-flip these judges are doing by claiming it impossible to dishonorably discharge and hold such folks accountable.

    The path down the failure of the rule of law is a well-worn one. We've been on it for some time. This ridiculous ruling won't help matters and will only continue to allow our slide to amorality and disorder. Chalk another one up for ol' Beelzebub.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    1,936
    Unlawful command influence from the Presidency? Scramble post haist to the next elected Commander of Unlawful Influence.
    Hopyard likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

  16. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,840
    And yet another Obama is an idiot thread? I thought we already knew that.

    Political. Therefore closed.
    CowboyColby likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

obama pretrial comments on zimmerman case

Click on a term to search for related topics.