TSA experience

TSA experience

This is a discussion on TSA experience within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I flew a few weeks ago with my pistol properly secured unloaded in a locked gun vault wired to the inner frame of my suitcase. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: TSA experience

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar

TSA experience

I flew a few weeks ago with my pistol properly secured unloaded in a locked gun vault wired to the inner frame of my suitcase. no problem, SW air didn't even look at it when declared. Flew home yesterday (about 5 minutes after the SFO crash) and on arrival found a notice in my bag that it had been searched. My case was locked with a crummy approved lock, they have the keys (i wonder if the baggage smashers do too) Part of it says if they were forced to break the locks, they sincerely regret having to do so, but the TSA is not liable for damage. I never heard of that and wonder how that would actually play out in court. I would not have minded if they has not added sawdust or tree debris to my clean clothing. I could not tell if the gun vault had been opened, I found one piece of sawdust in it but it could have got in when I re-armed alongside the freeway onramp.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

One time coming back from LA, I had an expensive suitcase come down the baggage ramp wrapped in duct tape. Never found out what happened, but it looked as if they used a knife to cut all along the length of the zipper instead of just cutting the lock.

You may have just been picked for a random search, dogs indicated on it for some reason, who knows. Glad your stuff was still in there!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    TSA, employment for every wanna-be cop that couldn't get at job as a LEO by any department with standards and requires psych evaluations and background checks.
    Gearhead and MJB_17 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    TSA, employment for every wanna-be cop that couldn't get at job as a LEO by any department with standards and requires psych evaluations and background checks.
    I wish it were that restrictive. I suspect most of them would be flipping burgers at McDonald's if it weren't for the TSA.

Thank you, Patriot Act and DHS. All the fear mongering after 9/11 makes it possible to have our 4th amendment rights violated for the privilege of being treated like cattle by the airlines. And we are SO much safer now...
    XD40SCiinNC and bigmacque like this.
    Never get out of the boat....

VIP Member
    I really feel for all of you that have to fly on a regular basis. I hated the airport experience BEFORE 9/11 and it has just gotten worse. I have had to fly exactly three times since then and hated every second of it.

Once my flight was delayed and then canceled, forcing me to stay overnight. Once I arrived at my destination but my checked bag never left the departure terminal. I was amazed that one time everything actually when according to plan.

I tend to have "trust issues" and find giving up my possessions to strangers with unknown intent stressful. Carry-on is okay but checking luggage is too much of a risk. Unfortunately, traveling with a handgun leaves you with no choice. That is why I prefer to drive whenever possible.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    No thanks TSA.!! If my wheels cant get me there. simple I DONT GO..

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    I wish it were that restrictive. I suspect most of them would be flipping burgers at McDonald's if it weren't for the TSA.

Thank you, Patriot Act and DHS. All the fear mongering after 9/11 makes it possible to have our 4th amendment rights violated for the privilege of being treated like cattle by the airlines. And we are SO much safer now...
    DHS, TSA or what ever three letters Government decides to hang on their agency are all aka KGB, Gastapo etc & could give a flying you know what about the US Constitution because they have immunity & are backed up by corruption.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    I haven't flown since the TSA has been given uncontrolled power to violate our rights. I purchased a RV to avoid their criminal activities.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Not really realistic for most people.
    C hawk Glock and jhogan2424 like this.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    This should probably be a bumper sticker. Sad but true.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

I fly very sporadically (2-5x per year) and somehow have never had a hassle at the airport and never had my luggage searched. [Please note: I am NOT saying the problems don't exist, because I'm not that ignorant...I KNOW we have a ton of problems with the TSA. My point is just I've been damn lucky so far.]

Since I joined this forum, though, I highly expect that I will have a different experience next time I fly!
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

I dont fly. I have four times and never again. Most people I know dont either. We had to get to my sister in laws funeral in two days 1150 miles away in Texas recently and we rode the motorcycles. I have no need to leave the U.S. I can get anywhere in the U.S on wheels. And by a route that takes me around our communist states.
    Snub44, NONAME762 and packinnova like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Just got back from a trip to TN with the family for Independence Day. Took four weapons with me, three Glocks and Mrs. Stove's snub, all in one hard case which was locked inside my suitcase.

No issues either way, no TSA search slips inside. They did go through Mrs. Stove's suitcase on the trip down.

Not surprising, Southwest handled it differently at each airport. Not bad, but just not the same, which drives me crazy. Southwest appears to be very gun friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I dont fly. I have four times and never again. Most people I know dont either. We had to get to my sister in laws funeral in two days 1150 miles away in Texas recently and we rode the motorcycles. I have no need to leave the U.S. I can get anywhere in the U.S on wheels. And by a route that takes me around our communist states.
    I feel the same way, Ghost1958.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I really feel for all of you that have to fly on a regular basis. I hated the airport experience BEFORE 9/11 and it has just gotten worse. I have had to fly exactly three times since then and hated every second of it.

Once my flight was delayed and then canceled, forcing me to stay overnight. Once I arrived at my destination but my checked bag never left the departure terminal. I was amazed that one time everything actually when according to plan.

I tend to have "trust issues" and find giving up my possessions to strangers with unknown intent stressful. Carry-on is okay but checking luggage is too much of a risk. Unfortunately, traveling with a handgun leaves you with no choice. That is why I prefer to drive whenever possible.
    I flew a lot (way too much) on business prior to 9/11, and I agree.

Airlines have always treated passengers as sheep, and I suspect that if not for FAA regs, you would fly standing up holding onto a strap like a NYC subway car. Then the TSA gets into the theater of security and treats everyone as a terrorist or criminal. Government Goons groping grandma and her 3 year old grand-daughter, and the sheep just put up with it. TSA one of the cruelest jokes ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links