U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer initiation abolished

This is a discussion on U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer initiation abolished within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I may be behind the times, but I just found out the Navy did away with the Chief's initiation. Unbelievable. The time honored rite of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer initiation abolished

I may be behind the times, but I just found out the Navy did away with the Chief's initiation. Unbelievable. The time honored rite of the U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (CPO) initiation process has been eliminated. Political correctness has won out over more than 100 years of having gotten it right in the Chief’s Mess.

I am speechless!

I served USMC and USA. My father retired USN Chief E-7 Red chevrons(He had fun). I never learned what was the Navy initiation?

Lead Moderator
    Sadly this is part of the continuing PC movement of our military leaders. Two years ago a Navy Admiral had the (unofficial) EOD motto removed from every place he could because it might "offend" someone. The motto was "Initial Success or Total Failure", a saying that has served the military Bomb Disposal field well for over 30 years.

Welcome to todays military where everyone is now elite, and no one can get offended.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDelta View Post
    I may be behind the times, but I just found out the Navy did away with the Chief's initiation. Unbelievable. The time honored rite of the U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (CPO) initiation process has been eliminated. Political correctness has won out over more than 100 years of having gotten it right in the Chief’s Mess.

I am speechless!
    I wonder if they still allow "tacking on the crow" for E4 - E6. My arm turn black and blue, then green and yellow.

Political Correctness: The incorrect assumption that you can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I wonder if the Army still allows blood wings? I still have the little scars to remind me that I was young and dumb once
    GhostMaker and 5lima30ret like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Well why the Hell NOT?!?!? The Namby Pamby Crew have their hands around ALL of us civilians throats...

One of the truly great aspects of being a retired old guy is looking THOSE PEOPLE in the eye and telling them to SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!!!!!! Then walking away chuckling to myself...mumble mumble
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Welcome to todays military where everyone is now elite, and no one can get offended.
    Don't forget, they're all heroes too.

Don't get me wrong I respect the armed services but calling everyone a hero only drops the value of that word.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The new military leadership motto: "If it ain't broke let's see how we can." They have deserted the sailors and troops.

Senior Moderator
    No initiation?

God forbid that some painty waisted momma's boy that never had a Father to put a boot in his ass and learned how not to fight get his wittle feewins hurt.

Cant have that now can we?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    I wonder if they still allow "tacking on the crow" for E4 - E6. My arm turn black and blue, then green and yellow.

Political Correctness: The incorrect assumption that you can pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Nope, that's gone too...

VIP Member
    I was not in the military, but I did work around a bunch of active duty and retired submariners early in my career, some of them going way back to the diesels. Whether they were pulling my leg or not, let's just say they informed me of multiple practical jokes that involved bodily fluids.

None of them seem traumatized.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    The initiations were all part of military life. You went through it, and at the next initiation ceremony you were at the front of the line to welcome on the next group. You went through it, you survived it and you could look back on it with pride and fond memories.
    msgt/ret and NONAME762 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Sad but not surprising.

This PC crap was a primary reason that I got out in '88.
    atctimmy and Jeanlouise like this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Sadly this is part of the continuing PC movement of our military leaders. Two years ago a Navy Admiral had the (unofficial) EOD motto removed from every place he could because it might "offend" someone. The motto was "Initial Success or Total Failure", a saying that has served the military Bomb Disposal field well for over 30 years.

Especially the enemy...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I wonder if the Army still allows blood wings? I still have the little scars to remind me that I was young and dumb once
    Nope, not officially! might hurt the little Paratrooper! (Or any other kind of blood wings or skill badge.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links