Military and Florida concealed carry permits

This is a discussion on Military and Florida concealed carry permits within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question regarding the difference between Florida's resident and non resident permits as it pertains to military personnel. Right now I am stationed in NC and ...

Thread: Military and Florida concealed carry permits

Distinguished Member

Military and Florida concealed carry permits

Question regarding the difference between Florida's resident and non resident permits as it pertains to military personnel. Right now I am stationed in NC and am thinking of reapplying for a Florida non resident permit. I previously had a Florida resident permit while I was last stationed down there about 7 years ago, and the permit has since expired. My question is, if I were to apply for a Florida non resident permit and be stationed back down in Florida would my permit become a resident permit if i were to reestablish residency down there as part of my military orders? Right now my home of record is Michigan, and that is the permit that I am currently using in NC due to the agreements. I do not really want to apply for a NC one because once I PCS I will lose the ability to carry in Florida where my wife is from.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

There is no FL non-resident permit...being considered a resident or non-resident is up to your driver's license. Apply for the FL permit, if you have a NC DL it's considered a non-resident by the 5 or six states that only recognize resident permits. If you have a FL DL it will be considered a resident CCW permit.

Oddly, FL...which does not recognize OTHER non-resident permits...will recognize it's own permit, even if you're not a FL resident.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's the statute on it:

A license issued to a servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01, is subject to paragraph (a); however, such a license does not expire while the servicemember is serving on military orders that have taken him or her over 35 miles from his or her residence and shall be extended, as provided in this paragraph, for up to 180 days after his or her return to such residence. If the license renewal requirements in paragraph (a) are met within the 180-day extension period, the servicemember may not be charged any additional costs, such as, but not limited to, late fees or delinquency fees, above the normal license fees. The servicemember must present to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services a copy of his or her official military orders or a written verification from the member’s commanding officer before the end of the 180-day period in order to qualify for the extension.

Retsup99 answered your question as to FL resident/non-resident status. The license is the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links