Wrong home N.K.(?) warrant... Armed homeowner...

This is a discussion on Wrong home N.K.(?) warrant... Armed homeowner... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Marshals busted in on a tip, she saw the gun and the light... She went for her own gun... A no knock entry gone awry? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Wrong home N.K.(?) warrant... Armed homeowner...

Marshals busted in on a tip, she saw the gun and the light... She went for her own gun...

A no knock entry gone awry?

Partial story here: http://m.mysuncoast.com/mobile/news/...a4bcf6878.html

Hard to believe she didn't hear them announce...

I dunno...

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

An update here... http://m.mysuncoast.com/mobile/news/...9bb30f31a.html

May have been posted before?

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A print story here makes it seem at least a few days old... Can't tell.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NIST/130729895

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

plan cloths officers shoots old lady and each other, old lady dies and they plant drugs in her house.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

This could have ended a lot worse than it did. She is lucky. As for the actions of the police, No comment...
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Knock knock

Who's there?

No wait....

Whatever investigation that takes place will be interesting. I'm prepared for disappointment.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    It appears that it was in 2006 and three officers were convicted of manslaughter charges.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It appears that it was in 2006 and three officers were convicted of manslaughter charges.
    The Kathryn Johnston shooting, yes, but not the Goldsberry incident.
    technomonster likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

"While she waited the US Marshals explained they were acting on an anonymous tip that led them to her home."

This just makes me seethe with rage. If you enter my home you had darn well better have more to go an than an anonymous tip.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    Why don't they just rename themselves the KGB. That seems to be the same tactics used on the Russian citizens when there was still a KGB. Actions such as this should not be tolerated in this country.
    Sister likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Police Officers have a tough job - especially sorting good guys from bad. That said, they also have a duty to do the homework and background on every entry (warrant or warrant-less?) and by that I mean perform the due diligence required. This type of thing puts police agencies in a bad light and it does get remembered by the general public and especially by the media. The department can conduct ten good operations but have one like this and the other nine operations done correctly are forgotten. The other bone to pick with this is the attitude "we're the Police, Federal Marshall, FBI, etc. and we can do what we want". - No you can't and there is case law that tells you that. Additionally,your agency needs to be funded and there maybe a lot of issues getting funding at the next budget hearing because perception is reality.

And the reality is your going to be paying a lot of $$$ in litigation to these people who your agency decided "we can do what we want" in their own home. And shoot some innocent person in their own home - the cost just tripled.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    Police Officers have a tough job - especially sorting good guys from bad. That said, they also have a duty to do the homework and background on every entry (warrant or warrant-less?) and by that I mean perform the due diligence required. This type of thing puts police agencies in a bad light and it does get remembered by the general public and especially by the media. The department can conduct ten good operations but have one like this and the other nine operations done correctly are forgotten. The other bone to pick with this is the attitude "we're the Police, Federal Marshall, FBI, etc. and we can do what we want". - No you can't and there is case law that tells you that. Additionally,your agency needs to be funded and there maybe a lot of issues getting funding at the next budget hearing because perception is reality.
    I agree 100% with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    And the reality is your going to be paying a lot of $$$ in litigation to these people who your agency decided "we can do what we want" in their own home. And shoot some innocent person in their own home - the cost just tripled.
    This part, not so much... Even in error, the police and marshals are operating under the color of law. People reaching for/ holding a phone have been shot, deemed a justifiable shoot.

This woman was very fortunate, she was actually holding a gun, and aiming at the officer. Had she been shot, there would be no question of the justifiability of the shoot, regardless of being the wrong address... Right or wrong, it seems that once law enforcement is on a scene, any scene, it becomes "their turf." Any resistance, even justifiable resistance, is happening in their "sphere of influence." And becomes, at the very least, "interference with official acts" And at the worst, ends up with a body, a civilian body.

These occurrences are quite rare, but it seems they are becoming more frequent. Is it because of the latitude we the citizenry have given them through laws (whether we wanted them or not, our representatives enacted these laws). Is it because of the "arms race" that law enforcement has gotten caught up in? Is it because of terrorism? As rare as mistaken identities occur, litigation favoring the wrong victim seems rarer yet.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Serious question: I have been wondering if home invasions are on the rise, or are we just hearing about all of them because of the internet, or whatever? I dont know the answer to that, but it seems like there are more and more home invasions happening now.

That being said, isnt it possible that LE is going to start getting shot up with these no knock home invasions they are doing? Shot by honest Joe Citizen, who has no reason to think that some SWAT team is hitting his house.

It seems to me that if THEY are the ones worried about meeting armed response, from regular citizens who fear from every day violence, that they might change what they are doing. Btw, Im certainly not advocating shooting LE, but if its the response they get because they are at the wrong house, and those living there think its just armed thugs....shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Serious question: I have been wondering if home invasions are on the rise, or are we just hearing about all of them because of the internet, or whatever? I dont know the answer to that, but it seems like there are more and more home invasions happening now.

That being said, isnt it possible that LE is going to start getting shot up with these no knock home invasions they are doing? Shot by honest Joe Citizen, who has no reason to think that some SWAT team is hitting his house.

It seems to me that if THEY are the ones worried about meeting armed response, from regular citizens who fear from every day violence, that they might change what they are doing. Btw, Im certainly not advocating shooting LE, but if its the response they get because they are at the wrong house, and those living there think its just armed thugs....shrug.
    Most of the time when LEO enters a house forcibly, it's a team and they are wearing armor... Your chances of surviving that and wounding an entering LEO in armor and a helmet are pretty slim.

As to home invasions on the rise... perhaps... and with larger teams of BGs doing the entering...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    As to home invasions on the rise... perhaps... and with larger teams of BGs doing the entering...
    In general, violent crimes are dropping. I'm not sure how Home Invasions fit into that, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links