Private contractors

Private contractors

This is a discussion on Private contractors within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching the Military Channel on T.V. last night it was titled, (Shadow army). It was a show that tells how, Our federal government, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Private contractors

Private contractors

I was watching the Military Channel on T.V. last night it was titled, (Shadow army).
    It was a show that tells how, Our federal government, used private contractors, during Hurricane Katrina.
    I learned that it is unconstitutional for the Federal government, to shoot to kill American citizens. But they can use private contractors, to
    do their bidding for them. This Is A Disgrace. The contractors have a name Black Water. I do know the U.S. military, used them in Iraq and Afghanistan. But here, in the U.S. is wrong JUST wrong. for George W or Obama, It's wrong.

The private contractors were there for security only. They were NOT there to "shoot civilians".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Hopyard, OD*, thephanatik and 1 others like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Black Water is a security contractor. They are not going to shoot innocent on US citizens on US soil. Private contractors are used by the government and military all the time. Many of the contractors are retired military.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Blackwater has changed their name a couple of times, and is currently known as Academi.

Contractors employed domestically by the US military or civilian police agencies are still civilians with no greater authority than you or me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The private contractors were there for security only. They were NOT there to "shoot civilians".

Yep, half the law enforcement had up and left the city and they had to bring in somebody to control the gangs that were running the streets unchecked; not a black mark on Mr. Bush or our nation at all.
    John Luttrell

Blackwater wasn't in New Orleans to shoot people, they were just being their opportunistic mercenary selves and billing to Feds for doing a minimal amount of security work.

They charged Uncle Sugar something on the order of $30 Million in the middle of a disaster to guard a Wal Mart parking lot for FEMA to set up headquarters. Pretty sweet gig if you have the lack of conscience to do it
    Secret Spuk, Hopyard and Phaedrus like this.

I know of one individual who worked for BlackWater and was sent to southeast Louisiana during Katrina. He was retired Army and former LEO and was hired by one of the 'big oil' companies to provide security while their techs went out into the marshes and such capping wells and assessing damage to various petroleum assets. He told me plenty of BlackWater guys were down there but it was all security-type detail for big corporations and such.

He was an instructor of mine years later for my Navy advanced training after he had had enough of Iraq. This is the only first-hand account I have of any security contractor(s) in the New Orleans area during Katrina.

Not saying right or wrong them doing those particular jobs.... but, if they were killing citizens and hired by the government, that'd be a WAY different story.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The police went home to protect their families and property. This is what will happen when it all breaks down too. They will go home to protect their own and I will protect my own.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Blackwater wasn't in New Orleans to shoot people, they were just being their opportunistic mercenary selves and billing to Feds for doing a minimal amount of security work.

They charged Uncle Sugar something on the order of $30 Million in the middle of a disaster to guard a Wal Mart parking lot for FEMA to set up headquarters. Pretty sweet gig if you have the lack of conscience to do it
    Hey, at least they were there and didn't run away, unlike hundreds of the city cops. When it comes to moral high ground, the mercenary who fulfills his contract beats the sworn officer who bolts.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    I was watching the Military Channel on T.V. last night it was titled, (Shadow army).
    It was a show that tells how, Our federal government, used private contractors, during Hurricane Katrina.
    I learned that it is unconstitutional for the Federal government, to shoot to kill American citizens. But they can use private contractors, to
    do their bidding for them. This Is A Disgrace. The contractors have a name Black Water. I do know they U.S. military, used them in Iraq and Afghanistan. But here, in the U.S. is wrong JUST wrong. for George W or Obama, It's wrong.
    They wer e shooting looters. Don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Hey, at least they were there and didn't run away, unlike hundreds of the city cops. When it comes to moral high ground, the mercenary who fulfills his contract beats the sworn officer who bolts.
    They showed up without being invited and then negotiated with the threat that they'd bolt too . Just opportunist bullies with guns and armor. Saying they were better than the cowardly NOLA cops is damning with faint praise

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    They showed up without being invited and then negotiated with the threat that they'd bolt too . Just opportunist bullies with guns and armor. Saying they were better than the cowardly NOLA cops is damning with faint praise

Then the lesson to learn may be that, if you don't want to depend on opportunistic mercenaries, don't let your city become such a debased cesspool of corruption that you can't even count on your police to stick around in a natural catastrophe. Do you think Blackwater should have done the job for free? I wouldn't have gone within 40 miles of that city at that time for twice what their guys got paid.

For the record, I don't intend this as an insult to the people of New Orleans. Their government betrayed them, and I would fully expect the same result in a number of other US cities that, to this point, have luckily avoided such calamity and can still wear a false mantle of respectability.
    wdbailey, Secret Spuk and stylus like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I guess I really didn't make my point, just a reaction. merc's in America, why are we paying taxes ? I have always thought America's leaders, were Our hired guns.
    Our American, army navy and marine's It's their job. It's just a point of view. I just didn't or was aware of this.

I guess I really didn't make my point, just a reaction. merc's in America, why are we paying taxes ? I have always thought America's leaders, were Our hired guns.
    Our American, army navy and marine's It's their job. It's just a point of view. I just didn't or was aware of this.
    What's wrong with people working in the US as private security?
    Echo_Four and blitzburgh like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

It gets to be a fairly complicated issue. Where exactly is the line drawn? Obviously the military guards its own bases and certain federal areas, but does a FEMA base count as the same thing? Or is it an unconstitutional use of the military to have them guarding it? Soldiers can't patrol a neighborhood, but can a PMC contracted by the federal government do it instead?

I don't think the courts have ever really dealt with these issues. Or at least, not in a way that's decisively applicable to such an extraordinary situation.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links