DCPSPD Officer on Trial

This is a discussion on DCPSPD Officer on Trial within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; D.C. trial over assault weapon pits police against police - The Washington Post Personally thought that it was ridiculous that these guys needed their own ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By USM1976

Thread: DCPSPD Officer on Trial

VIP Member

DCPSPD Officer on Trial

D.C. trial over assault weapon pits police against police - The Washington Post

Personally thought that it was ridiculous that these guys needed their own SWAT team, but sounds like this guy is getting a bit of the shaft.

Best pull quote:

I think the government has a very deep hole to try to dig out of in terms of ultimately persuading me to convict Sgt. Barbusin, Nash said, according to a transcript. Of the gun-clip charge, he said, I would find it personally distasteful to have to convict and sentence him for doing what every other law enforcement officer in the District of Columbia does and is not prosecuted for.

Nash is the trial Judge.

2. Remove Ads

The question would be,WHO BOUGHT THE GUN? If the department purchased the gun theres no problem,if the Officers bought the guns with their money,then they are personal weapons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very weird. His superiors authorize him to buy it, then he is arrested for possessing it.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Washington D.C. = Disneyland on the Potomac.

Nuff said.
    I feel for the officer in question, but you have to, in the back of your mind keep asking yourself if what your doing could ever get you in trouble. And if the answer is yes, you need to distance yourself from that trouble.
    Somehow he upset the lords that ruled over him, and they are now striking back.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ... for possessing a gun that his bosses authorized him to buy.

Top commanders authorized the purchase to help Barbusin train, and a deputy chief provided a letter stating that the rifle was for the “performance of official duties” to bypass federally mandated background checks and a 30-day waiting period.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Washington D.C. = Disneyland on the Potomac.

Somehow he upset the lords that ruled over him, and they are now striking back.
    Very likely, that's what explains it.

Unknown what's what, at this point, but one would think that an official "get out of jail free" card (authorization from the brass) would be little different than the dept. armorer issuing the gun. Perhaps that's how it should have been acquired, though, considering the brainless vehemence and zealotry these DC types have shown over the years with respect to arms. Strictly from a CYA standpoint, it might have served the guy better to go about it in that way.
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ooooh, oooh, I have a question. Can anyone tell me how many DC police officers have unregistered AR rifles socked away in their residences.

This is an out of control DC Metro Police making a very bad move. We start pitting agencies against one another, and things like this can and will escalate.
    Doghandler likes this.

VIP Member
    Apparently DC Metro doesn't care much for these guys and view them as nothing more than security guards.

What the guy should have done is either register his AR with DC, give it to a family member outside of DC to keep or sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Apparently DC Metro doesn't care much for these guys and view them as nothing more than security guards.

What the guy should have done is either register his AR with DC, give it to a family member outside of DC to keep or sell it.
    Knowing the level of insanity regarding firearms in DC, I'd never have made an acquisition of a "questionable" weapon outside the official armorer's channel at the department. But that's just me. Having a letter from the brass is fine, but in this case it doesn't seem that letter amounts to much in the eyes of the brass or the DA.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Many, Many police agencies authorize the use of personally owned weapons.
    Washington, the District of Colombia probably has more police agancies than any political sub-division anywhere in the world.
    Who the hell can keep track of what agency is or aint the police. Uniformed secret service isnt the police. I'd like to see D/C metro arrest one of them for owning an A/R.

IMO This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I began my career with NYC's smallest police department. Who had the humble beginings as a security department. By the time it was finally desolved into the NYPD there wasnt much difference between the two. In the early years there were similar disputes and arguments between members, and supervisors. Including arrests or either or. It happens. But there is no excuse in prosecuring an individual on these grounds.

The officers in question are issued Metro D.C. guns and shotguns... obviously they are authorised to go about armed. BBL with more commentary after I do some kung-google

Well.... That was easy..

Looks like someone in the DCMPD, and the prosecutors office may have screwed up. The guy is a POLICE OFFICER who has the jurisdiction of WASHINGTON D.C. Pretty much the same as the Federal Protective Service but on a local level.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Sounds like a QA/QC issue to me.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Links