If You Aren't Paranoid, You Aren't Paying Attention

This is a discussion on If You Aren't Paranoid, You Aren't Paying Attention within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Of course, no one would ever monitor a site like this one/ Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: If You Aren't Paranoid, You Aren't Paying Attention

VIP Member

Of course, no one would ever monitor a site like this one/

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I guess their intent was good, but how much can you check?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Of course, no one would ever monitor a site like this one/

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds
    Okay, I'm paranoid...

But... the article is horrible. Picture is from the Boston bombing, and has nothing to do with the person who was queried by the alleged "joint terrorism task force." The person who wrote the description of the query is a professional writer... But, the part about the "joint terrorism task force" is not a direct quote from the writer. Though in her original blog she does mention the task force, we don't know if the alleged visitors were indeed from any "agency."

I'm sure there are astounding blogs about zombie attacks as well... maybe even some newsy videos about how the forces are training with faux zombie attacks in order to condition the police and task forces to shoot at civilians.

The article and the blog upon which it was based... seem a bit too based in fiction for me... And perhaps that's why we'll never see it in the mainstream media... .nothing to see here folks... or maybe not.

here's the blog upon which the story is based: Link

Sorry Mike, I just can't quite get into this one.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Great. Now I want to google pressure cookers and backpacks to see if it'll happen to me, too.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Gentle readers, you may find this article from the Guardian in the UK interesting as it relates to this very question and is a write up in response to some new material released by Mr. Snowden. Apparently, a database is kept and searched of near everyone's internet traffic, including email, search queries and pages visited.

Edit: I posted before reading the entire article. The link I provided is referenced in the OP's link.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Great. Now I want to google pressure cookers and backpacks to see if it'll happen to me, too.
    Well you go right on ahead and then tell us how that worked out for you. I've got a backpack I bought 30+years ago. As for the other item, I don't need one.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Well you go right on ahead and then tell us how that worked out for you.
    It would make an EXCEPTIONALLY interesting experiment to do so through TOR. If they were to visit you after doing so, it would absolutely blow away any question about whether or not it is able to anonymize your tracks.
    pittypat21 and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It would make an EXCEPTIONALLY interesting experiment to do so through TOR. If they were to visit you after doing so, it would absolutely blow away any question about whether or not it is able to anonymize your tracks.
    Good point. Downloading TOR....NOW...

Not really. But still.

Though my mom's recipe for meatballs does require a pressure cooker...

And I sure could use a backpack to carry it in.
    ZOMBIEvs42 and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Consensual searches? Well, there you go. Sorry guys, come back later with a warrant based on probable cause. Maybe the roast beef will be done by then.

Sheesh.
    kaikane0812 and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well let's see. I did an online search last spring and bought a pressure cooker from Amazon. One of the heavy duty aluminum American made ones. Cost a bit over $180. I intended to put in a much bigger garden this year and plan on learning how to can. I also bought a Maxpedition backpack this spring. It cost over a hundred bucks too. I never got a visit from the "anti terrorism" squad -- they must have just figured I wasn't a terrorist because of how much I spent on the items. After all, they probably assume that a terrorist would buy a cheaper pressure cooker and a cheaper backpack since they were just going to blow them up! Or maybe it was because I also ordered nearly $50 worth of heirloom vegetable seeds online and they figured that was why I bought the pressure cooker.

Seriously, that story leaves me just a little bit skeptical. The government really doesn't have the resources to be sending out 6 man teams to check out every person that "googles" something on the internet! At least I sure hope they aren't wasting our tax dollars like that!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    It seems our "information age" has turned into a monster of a sort. IMO NSA is the least of it. I never did understand
    what possible rationale private companies have for retaining text messages, e-mail which has been deleted, or even phone records beyond whatever time they might need to keep them for billing and tax information purposes.

It costs bucks to keep this stuff, and now that several of the biggies are trying to get us to use cloud storage in a massive way, it is a sure bet we are gradually turning absolutely everything over to whoever.

Our entire net needs a reboot, a rebuild from the ground up to protect privacy and security.

When our largest corporations, the government, and the military in particular can't keep the hackers out, and can't keep secrets, 'Houston, we have a problem.'
    JDE101, atctimmy, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Consensual searches? Well, there you go. Sorry guys, come back later with a warrant based on probable cause. Maybe the roast beef will be done by then.

Sheesh.
    I would've absolutely not let them into my home without a warrant.
    "Hey you searched for pressure cookers, and we were watching. Can we come in?"
    "Do you have a warrant?"
    "No."
    "Then hell no you can't come in."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It seems our "information age" has turned into a monster of a sort. IMO NSA is the least of it. I never did understand
    what possible rationale private companies have for retaining text messages, e-mail which has been deleted, or even phone records beyond whatever time they might need to keep them for billing and tax information purposes.

It costs bucks to keep this stuff, and now that several of the biggies are trying to get us to use cloud storage in a massive way, it is a sure bet we are gradually turning absolutely everything over to whoever.

Our entire net needs a reboot, a rebuild from the ground up to protect privacy and security.

When our largest corporations, the government, and the military in particular can't keep the hackers out, and can't keep secrets, 'Houston, we have a problem.'
    In the end, its up to us as individuals to be careful of what we put on the net.
    JDE101 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Private Corporations do it to cover their ass...ets... In case they are sued by a past employee, a customer, and the like... If they don't have records of the transactions, proving their innocence... it looks bad for them... OTOH, if they have the records, and those records show culpability (just as in NSA not being able to search their own emails) then the items become very difficult to locate.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Tor is actually pretty easy to track through, or so I have been told.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links