Loudoun Co Sheriff Deputy's Costco shooting ruled justified - This is what they face!

Loudoun Co Sheriff Deputy's Costco shooting ruled justified - This is what they face!

This is a discussion on Loudoun Co Sheriff Deputy's Costco shooting ruled justified - This is what they face! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; UPDATED: Costco shooting justified | LoudounTimes.com Plowman said the deputy's shooting of Scott was in self-defense and in the defense of the customers in the ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By ZeBool
  • 2 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By oldnfat

Thread: Loudoun Co Sheriff Deputy's Costco shooting ruled justified - This is what they face!

UPDATED: Costco shooting justified | LoudounTimes.com

Plowman said the deputy's shooting of Scott was in self-defense and in the defense of the customers in the store when she began charging at him with a knife and scissors.

"The actions taken by Ms. Scott of refusing to drop the knife and scissors coupled with her raising the weapons with the blades pointed at the officers and then charging at them, presented the Deputies with an immediate and real threat to their safety, as well as the safety of the bystanders and other Deputies," a 19-page report released by Plowman reads.
    Plowman, when asked whether he believed five shots was excessive, said "even after [Scott] was struck four times she continued to walk the floor for a little bit."

According to the report detailing the incident, Scott had no reaction to the first shot. Unsure of whether he hit her, the deputy fired again. She then fell to the ground with both weapons still clutched in her hands.
    The report did not say exactly where Scott was hit with each bullet.
    Prior to the shooting, a deputy had commanded Scott to drop her weapons. When she did not comply he shot her with a Taser. A preliminary autopsy report said that the prongs of the Taser embedded into Scott's body, hitting her in the rear shoulder and upper buttocks.

However, for unknown reasons, the Taser malfunctioned and did not send electrical volts to Scott's body.

Check out the article comments. Many macho, idiotic, "Hollywood knowledge" comments. This is the crap our LEO's face daily.

I've heard these kind of comments from many in the building I work in just a few miles from this Costco store.

Examples:
    Fire the board of supervisors
    Fire Plowman
    Fire Dick Black.

This county is out of control and a joke in the region.

Two cops cant take down a 38 year old woman with a knife without shooting her 4 times?

A county supervisor cant be indicted because he is a part time employee?

Yeh, you wonder why companies only want to put their servers here and not their employees. At least we got that political donation stadium coming soon.
    I find it hard to believe that four grown men couldn’t disarm a woman with a knife. They are cowards, not heroes.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I fear knives more than guns; I'd have shot also if attacked with a sharp object.
    Snub44, shadowwalker and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good shoot. If somebody charged me with scissors, I would do my best to ensure they were shaking hands with Jesus as quickly as possible.
    Curt58 and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear that the Deputy and none of the other customers were hurt. Sounds like a very justifiable shooting to me. This is typical of what LEO's face on a daily basis. It also reaffirms to me that Tasers are often not a good solution. (I saw many Taser failures as a cop and am not a big fan of them.)
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Anything can fail. When it does the on the fly solution probably won't be pretty!

VIP Member
    Attack me with a sharp pointed object, receive an object with a big cavity in the end of it. Knives and scissors are definitely a lethal object.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If this officer had sidestepped her an punched her enough to knock her down or even out it would have been on youtube an he would have been sued. At worst he might have been stabbed than sued. Hard to second guess the actions after the fact.

As for not using deadly force on someone with a mental illness plus a large knife there was no way the Leo's knew her mental history at that time. However there were people that knew of her condition and did not do enough to help her. The article said quote" She (Ms Scott) told her psychiatrist during a March 9, 2013, visit that she had not taken her medication for three months." Can you believe that the Psychiatrist did not have her put in a Hospital......
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Now and for the rest of my life I am at risk when anyone attacks no matter if it is fist or some type of object I can not allow the threat to go on I have to make sure of it. I want to spend what time I have left with my wife, children and grandchildren and I'm not ready to give up or give in and last but not least bow down.
    Snub44 and archer51 like this.

Mentally Ill people are the most dangerous people on the planet. They don't resond to logic or fear for their personel safety.
    Put any weapon within reach of them and they will not stop trying to do damage.
    I have no compunction about awarding them with a 1300 fps copper clad retirement coin to protect the healthy innocent.
    Maybe even several even!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like the officers acted appropriately. If an out of control person was charging me I might have done the same. They got to go home to their families that night.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    Good shoot. If somebody charged me with scissors, I would do my best to ensure they were shaking hands with Jesus as quickly as possible.
    Or shaking hands with his adversary....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    As for not using deadly force on someone with a mental illness plus a large knife there was no way the Leo's knew her mental history at that time. However there were people that knew of her condition and did not do enough to help her. The article said quote" She (Ms Scott) told her psychiatrist during a March 9, 2013, visit that she had not taken her medication for three months." Can you believe that the Psychiatrist did not have her put in a Hospital......
    In many states, this is NOT an easy task. In some states this is nearly impossible (committing a person to a mental institution/facility against their will). With no specific threats (an identified target) the mental health professional/MD is often legally prohibited from breaking confidentiality.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Links