Cellphones Have "Fingerprints"

This is a discussion on Cellphones Have "Fingerprints" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From this morning's IBD: "In a development that may encourage law enforcement and homeland security but dismay some privacy groups, a “fingerprint” signature has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cellphones Have "Fingerprints"

Cellphones Have "Fingerprints"

From this morning's IBD:
    "In a development that may encourage law enforcement and homeland security but dismay some privacy groups, a “fingerprint” signature has been found that can ID every cellphone in the world. A Univ. of Dresden research team found components inside cellphones make small errors. Collectively, these errors create a digital pattern that can be read. In tests, an analysis program had a reported 98% accuracy rate. A prototype device that can read this digital signal is in the works, the scientists said. "

Engineers discover unique fingerprint for cell phones
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

I see a new cell phone "repair" service coming soon...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hmmmm....."fingerprint"? Every phone ever made has an Electronic Serial Number (ESN). How's that for a fingerprint?
    Hopyard and 91wm6 like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    at only 98% won't hold up in court. However, naughty congresspersons should be afraid.

Administrator
    Every word that you speak on every phone is already being saved and stored in Utah and they know the location from whence you made every call and the exact time you called and who you talked to and exactly how long you talked....ditto for all of your text messages and PICS that you send so...what's the difference?

Why do you think they gave out those multitudes of free phones with free minutes to basically anybody that wanted one?

Now they can track them.

We pay a monthly phone bill to get tracked and they get tracked for free.

Will you get band-aids when you are over at CVS?

OK

And we need MILK!

OK
    And...and don't forget to buy Dog Food!

I already bought dog food yesterday.

OK

Love You Hon! BYE!

My phone calls & TEXTS should really have them sitting on the edge of their respective seats.
    How absolutely pathetic and sickening is this crap!
    ZOMBIEvs42, niks and blitzburgh like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is really not news, the ability to track a cell phone by it's electronics has been out there since they were invented.
    It may be news in that folks have never thought of this before, but it's been true since the dawn of the boxy phones that were wired into cars.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

98% of the time no problem 2% who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I see a new cell phone "repair" service coming soon...
    Yeah. It's called a hammer.
    Hopyard and ZOMBIEvs42 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I happen to be right 98% of the time. The other 3%, I don't care about.
    ZOMBIEvs42 likes this.

To keep from getting caught, criminals began using new evasion tactics such as modifying the built-in ID code on their cell phone or swapping out SIM cards—doing so made it nearly impossible for law enforcement to track them down by their cell phone signals alone.
    If only I had a dollar for every time I've seen people with almost a whole cart full of disposable phones at Wal-Mart.. I once seen two guys there, one had a cart topped off with sandwich bags and the other had his topped off with baking soda. Gee, I wonder what they were up to.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I guess I'm going to have to tell my wife to stop sexting me... NOT!

TMI.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The FBI also has the ability to turn on your phone and computers microphone and camera in some case according to recent reports. A search will find a number articles on this.

FBI can turn on your phone mic?

Just think the new TV sets are also coming out with camera and mics.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    The FBI also has the ability to turn on your phone and computers microphone and camera in some case according to recent reports. A search will find a number articles on this.

FBI can turn on your phone mic?

Just think the new TV sets are also coming out with camera and mics.
    Yup, along with just about anybody with the know how. Without adequate security on our parts, the script kiddies can have free roam. This is also why I don't buy laptops with built in cameras. It's getting a bit more difficult to find them without built in webcams and microphones but still possible. Staying away from the obvious types of sites helps a lot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Yup, along with just about anybody with the know how. Without adequate security on our parts, the script kiddies can have free roam. This is also why I don't buy laptops with built in cameras. It's getting a bit more difficult to find them without built in webcams and microphones but still possible.
    Amazing how some translucent tape over the lens will make the picture a wee bit blurry or better yet good ole duct tape.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links