DEA Special Operations Division Covers Up Surveillance Used To Investigate Americans

This is a discussion on DEA Special Operations Division Covers Up Surveillance Used To Investigate Americans within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; DEA Special Operations Division Covers Up Surveillance Used To Investigate Americans: Report...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DEA Special Operations Division Covers Up Surveillance Used To Investigate Americans

DEA Special Operations Division Covers Up Surveillance Used To Investigate Americans

2. Remove Ads

What was tin foil hat, is today's reality...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I know of some cases where that article explains a whole lot. Sigh.

I never really paid that much attention to other countries, but the examples they used, along with the facts is down right scary. For the U.S. to think we are above this type of downfall would be really stupid. Everyone needs to get their heads out of the sand...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I confess, I can't quite even begin to understand what is being alleged. Consider the source too.

I don't doubt that in the course of ordinary drug investigations (or criminals investigations of any kind where the
    source needs to be protected) that these sorts of things are done. The connection with NSA sounds fanciful to me.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Well when it makes the news in Ioway.... where we ain't subject to alien abductions, or FEMA camps, or black helicopters... it's worthy of note...

And it made news here: U.S. directing agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans | TheGazette
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Well when it makes the news in Ioway.... where we ain't subject to alien abductions, or FEMA camps, or black helicopters... it's worthy of note...

And it made news here: U.S. directing agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans | TheGazette
    OK-- Here's the first paragraph of the story in "The Gazette Aug. 5, 2013"

A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

U.S. directing agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans | TheGazette

That part doesn't sound unreasonable. The rest of it sounds very speculative to me and the author is using
    "funny" language to make it seem like law enforcement is linked in some way to NSA activities.

Personally, I have no problem with DEA passing along intelligence to other law enforcement Agencies or taking
    action to protect their sources.

The only troubling part is where the story seems to suggest that defense attorneys are being misled and denied effective
    discovery. That is troubling, but also somewhat understandable as far as the need to keep the names of snitches
    out of the public eye. I'll leave it to smarter people than myself to sort out balance that should exist here
    between discovery and protection of sources.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

DEA should team up with ATF and morph into an enhanced F Troop.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK-- Here's the first paragraph of the story in "The Gazette Aug. 5, 2013"

A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

U.S. directing agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans | TheGazette

That part doesn't sound unreasonable. The rest of it sounds very speculative to me and the author is using
    "funny" language to make it seem like law enforcement is linked in some way to NSA activities.

Personally, I have no problem with DEA passing along intelligence to other law enforcement Agencies or taking
    action to protect their sources.

The only troubling part is where the story seems to suggest that defense attorneys are being misled and denied effective
    discovery. That is troubling, but also somewhat understandable as far as the need to keep the names of snitches
    out of the public eye. I'll leave it to smarter people than myself to sort out balance that should exist here
    between discovery and protection of sources.
    That, too, is what I find most troubling. Not only are defense attorneys being lied to, but so are prosecutors.

One current federal prosecutor learned how agents were using SOD tips after a drug agent misled him, the prosecutor told Reuters. In a Florida drug case he was handling, the prosecutor said, a DEA agent told him the investigation of a U.S. citizen began with a tip from an informant. When the prosecutor pressed for more information, he said, a DEA supervisor intervened and revealed that the tip had actually come through the SOD and from an NSA intercept.

"I was pissed," the prosecutor said. "Lying about where the information came from is a bad start if you're trying to comply with the law because it can lead to all kinds of problems with discovery and candor to the court." The prosecutor never filed charges in the case because he lost confidence in the investigation, he said.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A former federal agent in the northeastern United States who received such tips from SOD described the process. "You'd be told only, 'Be at a certain truck stop at a certain time and look for a certain vehicle.' And so we'd alert the state police to find an excuse to stop that vehicle, and then have a drug dog search it," the agent said.
    I'd bet that "find an excuse.." means "make one..". I'm sure if the drivers doing everything right (obeying speed limit, all lights in working order, etc) they aren't going to just let it slip through their fingers.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I confess, I can't quite even begin to understand what is being alleged. Consider the source too.

I don't doubt that in the course of ordinary drug investigations (or criminals investigations of any kind where the
    source needs to be protected) that these sorts of things are done. The connection with NSA sounds fanciful to me.
    Sounds like they are accusing the NSA of using wiretapping without warrants then passing the info to DEA. The DEA is then using the information to set up the bust and hiding the source is the information. Is this true? Don't know. I doubt we will find out.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Its called "Discovery". Its a legal term.

The State MUST PROVIDE COMPLETE DISCOVERY INFORMATION to the Defense. What this story is about is that the NSA provided this info to the Prosecution, BUT TOLD THE PROSECUTION TO LIE ABOUT IT, AND WHATEVER THEY DID NOT TO GIVE IT TO THE DEFENSE!

Its an outrage, is what it is. You cant properly defend somone on a made up story from the Prosecution. You have the States witnesses, (LE) swearing to the made up story, and no way to disprove it, other than "Nuh Uh".

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Sounds like they are accusing the NSA of using wiretapping without warrants then passing the info to DEA. The DEA is then using the information to set up the bust and hiding the source is the information. Is this true? Don't know. I doubt we will find out.

VIP Member
    They're (Fed's) going to do what they want to do, and all of the namby pamby crybabying in the world won't stop them, because as long as the masses have Monday night Football, NASCAR, Dancing with the Stars, the local watering hole isn't dry and Jersey Shore is still on, and the twenty somethings can go "Clubbin", all is right in their little world, and our voices add up to nothing more than a BLIP.. on the radar screen

We are doomed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    They're (Fed's) going to do what they want to do, and all of the namby pamby crybabying in the world won't stop them, because as long as the masses have Monday night Football, NASCAR, Dancing with the Stars, the local watering hole isn't dry and Jersey Shore is still on, and the twenty somethings can go "Clubbin", all is right in their little world, and our voices add up to nothing more than a BLIP.. on the radar screen

We are doomed.
    QFT plus a google..

and give us catch phrases like hope or change to vote for, and political races paid for by big $$$... It won't matter who we elect, the electees won't be beholden to the voters, they'll be owned by the buyers...

Doomed!

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    msgt/ret and StormRhydr like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Its called "Discovery". Its a legal term.

The State MUST PROVIDE COMPLETE DISCOVERY INFORMATION to the Defense. What this story is about is that the NSA provided this info to the Prosecution, BUT TOLD THE PROSECUTION TO LIE ABOUT IT, AND WHATEVER THEY DID NOT TO GIVE IT TO THE DEFENSE!

Its an outrage, is what it is. You cant properly defend somone on a made up story from the Prosecution. You have the States witnesses, (LE) swearing to the made up story, and no way to disprove it, other than "Nuh Uh".
    The story implies that, but I think that isn't what is going on. It is DEA's intelligence which is being passed along
    to other LE Agencies. DEA then keeps its snitches secret. I think people are seeing the word "intelligence" and
    jumping to the conclusion it is NSA. Just my opinion based on what I read. NSA of course isn't going to tell.

Do keep in mind that all manner of Law Enforcement organizations have intelligence units.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links