LEO tips on wearing "bullet proof" vests.

This is a discussion on LEO tips on wearing "bullet proof" vests. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; try underarmor they have the cold and heat gear don't know witch one you want have to look at them they are supposed to help ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: LEO tips on wearing "bullet proof" vests.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    try underarmor they have the cold and heat gear don't know witch one you want have to look at them they are supposed to help keep your cool
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wear a silk teddy under it for comfort
    Secret Spuk and Aceoky like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Administrator
    The newest versions of BPVs made with the latest materials are lighter and more flexible and so are somewhat easier to tolerate.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am a reserve commisoned officer for my local p.d. in sw Oklahoma it can get as hot as 110 easily in the summer. Also two combat tours in Iraq with my full time job in the army experience has shown me that you are not going to be comfortable. Take the good (protection) with the sweat and uncomfortable feelings. You will never get used to it 100% but just wear a under armour moisture wicking shirt or something like it and push on.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I've worked on that issue for over 20 years now; just in the last couple years the best solution for me: wear two cotton t-shirts. Two t-shirts absorb the sweat far better than one, and although they seem uncomfortable at first, they don't get soggy over an 8 hour shift. No skin irritation, rash, or itchiness; way cheaper than the high-tech under armor type material. Make sure they're both actual t-shirts, not wife-beaters...
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    I wear under armor heat gear shirts. I've had them for 5 years now and they are still working great, with not severe signs of wear or breakdown.
    I've never liked the super tight fitting nylon or similar shirts. I didn't like the vest slipping and sliding around on me, and the lose fitting style shirt will allow some air in between things.
    As someone mentioned, you don't need to wear the vest cinched down tight. Slip it on, take a really deep breath, then put the velcro on but not super tight. This usually works just right for me.
    I worked 2 years on evening shift in the hot Texas summer before going to night shift, so I know all about the vest heat rash that develops. Some Gold Bond or similar powder can help a little. Definitely have 2 carriers and swap them out washing them as needed.
    HotGuns and Aceoky like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I see the thread is a little aged but I feel I have quite a bit of experience in the field of dawning body armor. I've been wearing body armor since 1992 with regularity all over the world from Bolivia to Greenland. We have tried everything under the sky in an attempt to make wearing it more bearable. For us it is a comforting not comfortable thing until the prickly heat starts. A few years back some other private contractors from another part of the world showed us this trick. The shirt keeps the armor off your body and allows air to flow plus, in our field, the padding helps tremendously when going hands on. Also, the smaller guys like them because they look more "buff" when wearing it.

I am in the military and personally bought the smallest, lightest plate carrier I could find so I wouldnt have to wear the extra material of a Paraclete. It still sucks whether I am wearing a t-shirt, combat shirt, or full uniform top. Just gotta deal with it.

Staying cool while wearing bullet proof vest

I've been an officer for over 11 years and I must say that there is not a lot out there that helps!!

I wear under armour but still seem to sweat quite a bit. I really don't think under armour helps if its being suffocated by a bullet proof vest. So what I end up with is sweaty under shirt and a sweaty vest. A co-worker of mine bought this contraption that connects to your a/c vents in the patrol car.....but what a hassle that looks like. But he likes it. The only thing that actually seems to help is this thing I recently bought at a police expo called a Maxx-Dri vest that you wear under your vest but over your t-shirt or under armour. So far, it has actually helped a lot (I was a bit skeptical at first). It just keeps the vest off your body and lets fresh air circulate between your body and your vest. Simple idea....but it actually works. Do I still sweat when it's 90 degrees out....yes. But I can really feel a difference wearing this new thing.

Also, drinking lots of water helps on those really hot days....at least it seems to help me.

Hope this helps. Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Let me start by saying I am not a sworn LEO. I am a volunteer with my local PD or police auxiliary. We are issued vests, duty belts, cuffs, OC spray, etc. I'm fairly new but really enjoying it so far.

I could lose a few pounds without any interest in finding them so that is part of my problem. Summer in Kansas is generally brutal and with the unusual amount of rain we've had lately humidity is also an issue. I consider myself lucky in that I only have to wear the darn thing a few times a month and generally in the evening or nighttime hours. I feel like I wear it too tight so I may need to work on that but damn I get sweaty just putting the dang thing on. I have worn cotton "wifebeater" shirts (not enough protection for skin in shoulder area), cotton t-shirts, moisture wicking t-shirts, and in the winter I wore a long sleeve compression shirt.

My question is what type of garment do you find best for wearing under your vest?

After 34 years as a cop, including the last 7 in south Mississippi, I go with he Under Armour compression heat gear.

Plus a hand towel to wipe the sweat from my face, and a bhudddist-like acceptance of the fact that I AM going to be hot and sweaty all day long.
    Secret Spuk and 64zebra like this.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

As an LEO in savannah Ga, Vests suck huge waterfalls. However, being shot sucks more. I always wore moisture wicking shirts under my vest, and while not perfect they were far more comfortable than a wet cotton t shirt. also, the slick material makes for less chafing as well. The BIGGEST aspect of vest comfort is wearing a vest that has been properly fitted to you. They are not grab and go. The wrong vest will be far more hassle than asset, and possibly in- effective at full protection. If you were given hand me down vests, do yourself a favor and get checked for proper fit.
    64zebra likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Administrator
    This is an old thread...

But a good topic anyway.

I've found being in shape helps a lot, I wear plain cotton T shirts and don't cinch up the vest to tight. Leave it a little loose so your skin can breath.
    64zebra likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    wear under armor heat gear shirts. I've had them for 5 years now and they are still working great, with not severe signs of wear or breakdown
    Ditto that.

Ive worn everything at one time or another and I like the Under Armor heat gear the best.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Let me start by saying I am not a sworn LEO. I am a volunteer with my local PD or police auxiliary. We are issued vests, duty belts, cuffs, OC spray, etc. I'm fairly new but really enjoying it so far.

I could lose a few pounds without any interest in finding them so that is part of my problem. Summer in Kansas is generally brutal and with the unusual amount of rain we've had lately humidity is also an issue. I consider myself lucky in that I only have to wear the darn thing a few times a month and generally in the evening or nighttime hours. I feel like I wear it too tight so I may need to work on that but damn I get sweaty just putting the dang thing on. I have worn cotton "wifebeater" shirts (not enough protection for skin in shoulder area), cotton t-shirts, moisture wicking t-shirts, and in the winter I wore a long sleeve compression shirt.

My question is what type of garment do you find best for wearing under your vest?
    We had to wear black under our duty shirts. I found the most comfortable to be made by Blauer, a common uniform company, Very similar to Underarmor. But either way you are like a swamp at the end of your tour. There are a bunch of companies that try to sell cool shirts, but hot is hot and sweat is sweat.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Have any of ya'll tried this?

CoolCop Body Armor Air Conditioning System

Aside from the fact that it looks like something you'd see on Super troopers...
    I'm glad i saw this. Thanks. This could come in handy motorcyling in this hot weather, as i ride with all the gear on all the time. Yup, just put the front end of the hose into a funnel (with a bee screen), and the other end under my belt.
    lol
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links