Neighbors upset over upside down flag...

This is a discussion on Neighbors upset over upside down flag... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Outrage over upside down, tattered flag | azfamily.com Phoenix...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Neighbors upset over upside down flag...

A tattered flag needs to be respectfully disposed of. If you wish to fly a flag (regardless of orientation) it needs to be in good condition. Even if you do not like the administration, respect the flag. It is a symbol of the vision of our founding fathers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    The flag of the United States should be flown in the proper way. It is a matter of respect. There is a correct way to display the flag no matter what the display method is..(flag pole, draped, stationary flag stand, hanging flat, etc..etc...etc...)

Upside down, tattered, frayed, backwards are all signs of disrespect for the flag. If you can't respect the flag, don't show it at all.
    baren likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

In the Corps we were taught that an upside-down flag was a sign of distress and used to show that they had been (or about to be) overrun by the enemy. Although I would never do it, I can understand the sentiment of the homeowner.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I wouldn't fly it that way, or in that condition, I understand his intent. If I lived nearby, I would deliver a new one to his door and tell him, "Hoist away!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd be upset too, flying the flag upside down is incredibly disrespectful. It is supposed to be a sign of distress like DaGunny said or at sea a vessel may do the same to indicate distress.

He is within his 1st Amendment rights but has chosen a poor way of showing his displeasure with the government.

When the US invaded Iraq I disagreed with it, but instead of showing disrespect I simply didn't fly a flag at my home for a good 5 years. We Americans may not always have to agree but at least be civil about it.
    NONAME762 and Phaedrus like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm a bit concerned over allowing any flag to go ratty. To me, that's the disrespectful aspect.

Myself, though, I have no problems with making a statement by leveraging the traditional "distress" aspect of the flag flown upside-down. But then, the statement should have a good chance of making its point, either through pushing discourse and forcing the issue to the fore, or as a rallying point for a community around the concept of that statement.

I appreciate it's a non-traditional use of "distress" to claim it be flown in such a fashion for general socioeconomic/political reasons. But I don't see that aspect as disrespectful, per se.

IMO, the citizen has a point: we are at a tipping point in many ways, and there's a desperate fight going on for hearts and minds. If nothing else, I see such a "statement" helping to awaken a good percentage of citizens who are otherwise asleep at the wheel. For that reason, at minimum, I think this statement could have much greater long-range impacts than a few ticked-off folks who only see the traditionally militarily-correct aspects of flying a flag. JMHO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with it being upside down but it's time to retire that old one and get a new one.

I do have a question, is it disrespectful to have a flag inside my garage with tape? I don't have a good place to hang it on my house and I didn't want to drill the flag in pace so I used gorilla tape.

If you support the constitution, you should support his right to free speech as strongly as you support your right to possess and carry. You shouldn't be picking and choosing rights to support. He gets to disagree with everybody if he wants.

This actually seems like a civil and meaningful way to protest, and judging from the coverage, he is being heard.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    If you support the constitution, you should support his right to free speech as strongly as you support your right to possess and carry. You shouldn't be picking and choosing rights to support. He gets to disagree with everybody if he wants.

This actually seems like a civil and meaningful way to protest, and judging from the coverage, he is being heard.
    You can disagree with what this guy is doing without disregarding the constitution. No one (at least in this thread) is calling for him to be arrested for what he's done.
    baren likes this.

I am going to say something that is completely against the mainstream conservative ideology, but I have done a lot of the out of the box thinking for myself, and feel we need to really look at things differently than the government has indoctrinated us to believe and think.

When I went to serve in the Marines, I did not serve a flag, or symbol, I chose to serve a people. We cannot say we have true freedom, if we deny or get bent about someone else's desire to express their feelings, however we may feel, by the display or treatment of an inanimate object.
    To do so goes against the very ideas of freedom we claim to cherish and uphold. The next step, would be to deny people the ability to speak out against the government.
    This concept, of freedom began before the flag, and must endure beyond it.

Think of it like the nerves in your body. When one is injured, it hurts like hell, but that pain is good, because it is proof that we are still alive.
    Burn it, trash it, stomp it, or fly it anyway you want. After all, that's the freedom to do so is really why blood was shed, to give you that very right.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    An upside-down flag hardly warrants serious concern on my part. I just hate to see a ragged one, right side up or otherwise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have seen a video that indicates the Obama's do not respect the flag. Is this guy proud to stand with Obama on this issue?

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I do not like what he is doing with the flag, but I will protect his right to do it. The flag stands for freedom, and he has the right to display the flag the way he wishes. Now we get to complain about it as we see fit.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Perhaps it is offensive to Austrailian-Americans? I too thought of hanging my flag upsidedown when the current occupant was first elected, but decided using a respected symbol sybolically for the wrong idea woud be childish.
    Vminghelli likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links