does anyone know why the feds....

This is a discussion on does anyone know why the feds.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; lethal force was used in the recovery of one Hanna Anderson (16), a kidnap victim last sunday, returning her to her father. she was taken ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: does anyone know why the feds....

lethal force was used in the recovery of one Hanna Anderson (16), a kidnap victim last sunday, returning her to her father. she was taken by a long time family friend and alleged murderer of her brother (8) and mother (44) after the suspect apparently set fire to his own house killing most of her immediate family. he then fled with Hanna into the River of No Return wilderness (idaho?) where the two were spotted by someone on horseback. the fbi were forced to land a 2.5 hour hike away from the the campsite of James Lee Dimaggio in order to rescue the girl safely, ending a massive manhunt the stretched from mexico to canada.

thats all the info i was able to find on the story and while i believe he deserved every bit of what he got, i am curious about the particulars.
    was he armed? did he threaten to harm the girl? ect.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

"Once the teams set up, they waited until DiMaggio and Hannah separated, and moved in," the Valley and Ada county sheriffs' offices said.
    Authorities ushered Hannah to an area where a helicopter could whisk her away.
    At some point, a "confrontation" ensued between authorities and DiMaggio, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said. The confrontation ended when an FBI tactical agent shot and killed the murder and kidnapping suspect.

Not sure if he was armed, and yes he got what he had coming as far as I am concerned, short of allowing the father to have some alone time with him in a room with a baseball bat.
    Sister, tdave, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

...fleeing felon...hostage...bought and paid for if he was naked and waving a hippie flag...not pertinent if he was armed or threatened anyone...

...the particulars will "be released" as the feds feel necessary...
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot101 View Post
    lethal force was used in the recovery of one Hanna Anderson (16), a kidnap victim last sunday, returning her to her father. she was taken by a long time family friend and alleged murderer of her brother (8) and mother (44) after the suspect apparently set fire to his own house killing most of her immediate family. he then fled with Hanna into the River of No Return wilderness (idaho?) where the two were spotted by someone on horseback. the fbi were forced to land a 2.5 hour hike away from the the campsite of James Lee Dimaggio in order to rescue the girl safely, ending a massive manhunt the stretched from mexico to canada.

thats all the info i was able to find on the story and while i believe he deserved every bit of what he got, i am curious about the particulars.
    was he armed? did he threaten to harm the girl? ect.
    tdave likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I guess they did what they felt needed to be done.
    Snub44, Badey, Hopyard and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

All in all I'm not overly inclined to dig too deep into this one.
    PEF, pilot101, Hopyard and 4 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

...six feet oughta do it nicely...
    tdave, foxytwo and Pinot like this.

They saved lots of tax dollars, and I'm fine with that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I wondered the same. So a cadre of extremely well-armed and equipped agents couldn't bring back one SUSPECT alive? Pretty poor.

I'd still like to see the video. What? No video? Guess they forgot some stuff. :rolls eyes:
    pilot101 and 006.9V2.1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    All in all I'm not overly inclined to dig too deep into this one.
    I'm in this camp. I'm all for due process, but not when it may have put the girl in danger. I saw "good job" to the police on this one.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    So a cadre of extremely well-armed and equipped agents couldn't bring back one SUSPECT alive? Pretty poor
    Sounds good in theory...

unless you are the kind of person that refuses to be taken alive. Then you do what you gotta do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I'm in this camp. I'm all for due process, but not when it may have put the girl in danger. I saw "good job" to the police on this one.
    Naw man. Catch 'em in the act of attempting to commit a violent felony, sure, shoot. But having separated them, this is just 'zeroing out' the suspect. Not the way we do things here.

Show me the video. It's just TOO DAMN easy to say 'oh he resisted'. Resisted WHAT? A dozen armed guys? Did he shoot himself? If not take up a position and capture him. Come on, Frank Buck could do it to tigers.

...after all he'd done...bringing him back was the important part...alive?? this wasn't a shoplifter in downtown Secaucus...zero risk to the girl and the LEOs would have been my only consideration...
    ...if you seriously expect a video in the circumstances they found him in, you don't know a lot about police work...
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I wondered the same. So a cadre of extremely well-armed and equipped agents couldn't bring back one SUSPECT alive? Pretty poor.

I'd still like to see the video. What? No video? Guess they forgot some stuff. :rolls eyes:
    IndianaSig, Hopyard, mkh and 3 others like this.

My prayers for her and her family. Since he's not present his salute goes in the toity.

pretty conflicted, i have a foot in both camps. i think anyone would want to be behind the trigger for a situation like this, or better yet, the Louisville option; but i cant help but agree with BadgerJ. A well armed/trained team v.s. one guy with the element of surprise, in the woods (lots of cover) and they couldn't take him alive? not inclined to believe that. being judge, jury, and executioner is a dangerous line to walk. just ask Dredd.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

I say good riddance to him. Got what he deserved imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
    Sister likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links